Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 New Y - constant whirring / buzzing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a brand new Tesla Model Y, and overall, I’m thrilled with the car. However, I’ve been consistently hearing a buzzing sound that seems to be coming from the middle console, specifically near the phone charger on the right side. Externally, it sounds like it’s coming from the right side, behind the front wheel, almost resembling a swarm of crickets.

I took it in for service, and they checked the ambient temperature sensor, confirming everything is normal. I find it hard to believe this is a normal occurrence, and I’m surprised no one else seems to be discussing it.

If any other Model Y owners have experienced a similar noise, especially when in a garage, I’d appreciate hearing about it. If this sound is, in fact, normal for the vehicle, that’s okay, but it’s a bit disappointing given the generally quiet interior atmosphere of the car.

Hi,
I bought a Tesla Model Y on 2023 Dec 6. On the 2nd day, I started noticing groaning noise when ever car decelerates and the steering is completely turned left/right. It happens when I do a reverse as well. I am only seeing the noise if the stopping mode is in "Hold" as this is kicking in regenerative braking. The noise is not present when the car is in Roll/Creep mode. I had 2 service appointments in the first week. On the first one, they removed and replaced breaks to see if it resolves and closed the service request.
When I went back, I saw its still present. So, they made a 2nd service and again same result and they told me that they opened a request to Tesla Engineering team. The service manager took a new model Y from inventory and even it had the same issue but the old cars in the demo they don't have it. Looks like Tesla changed some hardware around Dec 2023. They are expecting this might be the issue. Can you check if you also have this issue.

No, turn up the volume and hear it for first time when i am doing a reverse. Not only I am having noise, it shakes the car and steering. I am not talking about the noise you usually get when doing a reverse or go straight in tesla. My cosuin has a 2022 Y. His doesn’t make the noise. This is like groaning.

Great news! - I am curious...if you pull into your garage at night when its quiet outside and you sit in your car. Hear that slight "buzzing" from the center console? It has to be very quiet outside. Buzzing, humming, whirring for a lack of a better word.