Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

weird noises

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a MYLR in June, and after the initial 1,000 miles, it seemed fine. However, with 3,000 miles now, I've had 6 service appointments so far. I have another mobile service scheduled for tomorrow (August 23) to address the issue with the front passenger seatbelt. Setting aside these concerns, my most frustrating experience with my Tesla is the abundance of unusual noises my car makes.

Initially, there was a rattling noise that resembled metal or glass vibrations coming from the back passenger window. I managed to identify that the sound would occur when I fully closed the window, but it disappeared if I slightly lowered the window. I took the car to the service center, where they mentioned something about the regulator and how this issue is common with Model Y vehicles. This visit also addressed wind noise from my right-side window. Later on that day, my friend and I noticed that the backside of the driver's side door had a different sound when opening and closing it, as if something was hitting the interior. Returning to the service center, they attempted to adjust the door by squeezing it in, which affected the alignment of the right-side front and back doors. They said this was supposedly done to eliminated wind noise. Currently, I still experience a rattle noise in the same area, particularly on bumpy roads. However, when they tested it, the drive was on smoother roads than my daily commute, making it difficult to replicate the issue. My car seems to produce vibration noises while driving. Anything placed in the cup holder, be it a bottle, my phone, or a drink, generates vibration sounds while on the freeway. This also applies to items in the passenger seat, the front area under the seat, and the back seat's cup holder. I'm uncertain if other Model Y owners encounter this much noise while driving. I upgrade from the Honda Accord 2018 and I didn't expect 2023 MYLR making this much of noises.

Take a video and post it you will get more precise answer

Right now everyone will be guessing

When I had my MYP back seat between seatbelt buckle rattle and back door stoppers need adjustment and all four tire’s required force balance it took care of 90% noise

Again every car is different but if you take the video take it to SC now you have objective evidence and proof so they can dial in the problem

I'm interpreting your post as asking whether this is common.

I'm an individual person, not a statistics report, but I've found and fixed probably six or seven different individual noises in the two and a half years I've owned my Model Y. Some I just ignore/don't fix because they only occur on certain road surfaces, e.g. northbound I-10 in Tucson, and I'm almost never in Tucson. But yeah, someone on here said it's a $20,000 car with a $40,000 battery pack, and that's what I tell everyone who's interested in buying one. It's cheap, cheap, cheap. But where is the competition? I can't imagine driving without access to the supercharger network. Or dealing with a car dealer. So pick your poison.

I'm an individual person, not a statistics report, but I've found and fixed probably six or seven different individual noises in the two and a half years I've owned my Model Y. Some I just ignore/don't fix because they only occur on certain road surfaces, e.g. northbound I-10 in Tucson, and I'm almost never in Tucson. But yeah, someone on here said it's a $20,000 car with a $40,000 battery pack, and that's what I tell everyone who's interested in buying one. It's cheap, cheap, cheap. But where is the competition? I can't imagine driving without access to the supercharger network. Or dealing with a car dealer. So pick your poison.
Another "individual person" here. 2021 MYLR Dual Motor.
46k miles and still rattle free, interior or exterior.
Just sayin'...

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet

I agree, cheaply built cars. Noises and rattling, panel misalignments, steering wheel vibration. With my less than 10days old Model X