Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Tesla Model Y - 4680 Battery - How to tell I have one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I go to my display it says "Lithium-Ion", I was under the impression my model was a LFP Battery.
My range says 279. Is there anyway to tell on the display screen what type of battery my vehicle has??
I "believe" the standard range MY uses conventional ternary 4680 battery cells, not LFP. The range is less as less cells are put in.

Rich

Edit: You should see an option to set your car charge level from 50% State of Charge to 100% SoC when charging if you have LFP batteries in your Tesla. If you see the option to go to various levels of charge then the batteries are not LFP.

Upvote 0
When I look on my display it’s says “lithium-ion”….would that imply I have the 4680 battery? I’m guessing it’s definitely not the LFP since those were made in China for Model Y. Thanks for your help. I’m just trying to confirm and clarify.
47D862A0-BBA7-4C14-9199-427C8FDD6CA1.jpeg

• Disagree
Reactions: gsmith123
Upvote 0
^^^ Isn't "low voltage battery" the 12V? In another forum I was told the MY's with 279 mile range were indeed 4680 equipped FWIW.

Frankly I'll be happy if mine comes with 2170 batteries. Proven tech, and the 4680/structural pack will be significantly harder to replace if necessary. YMMV

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's what I was thinking. I was just trying to find a place on the display or app that can tell me what batter type I have. I was on hold with my local tesla location for 25 minutes...I will call them back later.
Your high voltage battery is lithium ion .... they're all lithium ion ... yes, even LFP is lithium ion. If you have a Model Y you do not have an LFP battery. If by some amazing circumstance this has happened you will see (as mentioned above) no "daily" charging level markers on your charge slider.

Reactions: henderrj
Upvote 0
You could have a 279 mile range for a number of reasons, although the lesser produced standard range MY has that range as a starting point. MY LR has a stated range of 330 miles. A MY LR could also have 279 for a number of reasons. You would know if you bought SR or LR I hope?

As @240vPlug says, only the base M3 has LFP batteries.

Most prevelant batteries currently produced MY LR or MY P is 2170. Same as 4680. 2170 Batteries in Y come from Panasonic at this time.
The battery number is really the size of the battery. 4680 battery is 46mm across the top and 80mm long. 2170 is 21mm across top and 70mm long.

There are some very small structural and manufacturing benefits to a Y with a 4680 battery pack. Tesla is still gearing up to make 4680 in more quantity. Until they reach their goals they are using Panasonic 2170 batteries in Y.

If you have 4680 you have a MY standard range. Not many of those were made so far. 18650 Panasonic batteries are used in S and X. All Lithium-ion batteries. Even though Japan doesn't have many EVs, Panasonic Japan is helping Tesla in a big way until they can scale their own battery production 100%.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
Upvote 0
I was trying to find out how much to charge on a nightly basis. Can anyone answer this? Thank you all again for your help.
To answer you original question:

The manual says:

Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries​

Some vehicles are equipped with a Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP) Battery. To determine if your vehicle is equipped with an LFP battery, navigate to Controls > Software > Additional Vehicle Information. If your vehicle is equipped with an LFP battery, "High Voltage Battery type: Lithium Iron Phosphate" is listed. If your vehicle does not have an LFP battery, the high voltage Battery type is not specified.

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Upvote 0