Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21-22 model S wheels on an older model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Completely ignore what I said here. I (finally) got my new wheels/tires for this car and, upon installation, we discovered that the previous owner used multiple improper and mismatched spacers under these wheels. It was a mess. The tire shop employees asked me if I drove the car there from where I bought it (thinking it was a local dealer) and when I told them I drove the car in it's current state from Phoenix AZ through the mountains they were all in disbelief. Not to mention that the previous owner swapped over the wheels/tires from his new Plaid to my older car & didn't bother to trade out the TPMS from one to the other. In short, what a mess. I'm glad I have it resolved and that nothing catastrophic happened before I got proper equipment on the car.

tldr; don't put these wheels/tires on older cars as my guess is they will rub much worse when turning and the insides will likely rub the strut towers too. Just guessing at that but there's a reason why someone stacked a bunch of mismatched spacers under these wheels and it wasn't for a look since he knew he was selling it. My guess is that w/o them they won't work at all.

I wanted to update this thread since the next "Pioneer" blazing this trail may be let down.

View attachment 741676
So if I am following correctly what you thought were the refresh 19s were actually the old 19s with a bunch of spacers?

Either way I am happy to hear nothing bad went wrong sheesh thats scary!

Reactions: kerred
So if I am following correctly what you thought were the refresh 19s were actually the old 19s with a bunch of spacers?

Either way I am happy to hear nothing bad went wrong sheesh thats scary!
Not quite. These were refresh 19's off of a Plaid put on an older non-refresh Model S with a bunch of spacers.

This thread was started because someone asked if you could put the newer wheels on older cars. I posted with my experience but I wanted to correct it since I discovered my first-hand data was skewed, to say the least.

Pioneer here. I've got two sets (don't ask) of the 19" factory wheels/tires from the new 2021 refreshed Model S, one with summer tires and one with all-season. One set is currently on my newest 2017 P100D and I can confirm that the fronts will indeed rub slightly at full lock. 255 with these offset is just too wired for the older wheel wells. Rears appear to be fine w/o any rubbing or anything that I've experienced. I'm currently in the process of sourcing the previous 19's to swap these out with some nice all-season tires of the standard 245/45R19 flavor.
@Ostrichsak I want to follow up on your experience. Are you still using new generation 19 on your P100D. Any issues so far? Thanks!

Reactions: kerred
I have had the same question. Will the refresh 2021 19x9.5 and or the 19x10.5 fit on an older Model S? I have a 2013 P85+

I bought a 19x10.5" (rear) bare rim off of ebay. It can be bolted to the car but rubs on the fender liner and the frame is right behind the liner.

So the answer is no the 19x10.5" rim will not just bolt up.

If you mounted longer studs so that you have 9 full turns of threads(standard minimum threads engagement for wheel studs) and spacers 15mm minimum and tires that would be very close to the width of the 10.5" rim or a little smaller(stretched). Them maybe you could make the 10.5" rim fit.

I just bought a 9.5" "refresh" rim and stock tire 255/40 19 tire. It will be here in a week.

Here are the photos.

The 4th photo is of the clearance the stock 21"rim and 265/35/21 tire in the same area as the other photos. There is about 1/2 inch clearance between the tire and the fender liner.

Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 2.38.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 2.39.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 2.39.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 2.39.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 3.07.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 3.08.42 PM.png

Last edited:
I have a full set pf Plaid wheels on my 2013 P85+
Front 5mm spacer and a 9.5 x 19 rim 255 45 19 tire (rubs a little when reversing and turning)
Rear 5mm spacer and a 10.5 x 19 rim with a 255 45 19 tire (a little stretched) fits and looks good.
The car complained a little because of the Tempest wheels were staggered with a slight difference in diameter. Now that have a 'square' setup I selected the slipstream wheels that all use the same size tire.
Below is the stretched 255 45 19 on the 10.5 x19 rim.
zHkqlHshSnubQpfsMq5iHw.jpg

I have had the same question. Will the refresh 2021 19x9.5 and or the 19x10.5 fit on an older Model S? I have a 2013 P85+

I bought a 19x10.5" (rear) bare rim off of ebay. It can be bolted to the car but rubs on the fender liner and the frame is right behind the liner.

So the answer is no the 19x10.5" rim will not just bolt up.

If you mounted longer studs so that you have 9 full turns of threads(standard minimum threads engagement for wheel studs) and spacers 15mm minimum and tires that would be very close to the width of the 10.5" rim or a little smaller(stretched). Them maybe you could make the 10.5" rim fit.

I just bought a 9.5" "refresh" rim and stock tire 255/40 19 tire. It will be here in a week.

Here are the photos.

The 4th photo is of the clearance the stock 21"rim and 265/35/21 tire in the same area as the other photos. There is about 1/2 inch clearance between the tire and the fender liner.

View attachment 931154View attachment 931155View attachment 931156View attachment 931157View attachment 931205View attachment 931206