Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone fit OEM rear 19" / 21" wheels on the FRONT of their MS Refresh LR Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking at aftermarket wheels that offer a square setup for the refresh LR/Plaid. I've noticed the specs closely resemble OEM wheels. For example, one aftermarket square setup is for a 20" x 10.5" all around with a recommended tire of 295/35/R20 F+R.

OEM Tempest 19" Wheels
19" x 9.5" F +40
19" x 10.5" R +45

OEM Arachnid 21" Wheels
21" x 9.5" F +40
21" x 10.5" R +45

Based on these measurements, only differences are +/- 1" in wheel diameter and +5mm in offset if using either 19"/21" rear wheels at the front. I doubt the 1" diameter will effect wheel clearance at the suspension/inboard side of things. It's possible the +5mm would cause rubbing/interference inboard. Otherwise, a 5mm spacer should equal this out--although I'm not a fan of using spacers.

The question begs, has anyone tried using OEM rears at the front and experienced any rubbing at full lock throughout the suspension travel? I'd imagine the chances of this not causing a problem would be better without any lowering links.

I have read somewhere that it will fit, but can't remember where. :) I will try it myself soon when I'm changing for summer tires.

The 10.5" wheel comes only 8mm outwards when compared to 9.5", but requires 18mm more room inside. So it might hit the strut?

(The math: 1 inch wider = 12.7mm per side, but 5mm difference in offset makes this 17.7mm and 7.7mm.. )

I'm just about to buy me another set of 19" Tempests to be used as summer wheels. I was already thinking that I make two squared sets, 10.5" for summer and 9.5" for winter! Only downside to this plan is that both tyre sets are brand new so economically it's best to just drive with the current staggered sets..

If you fix the rear camber, the OEM 10.5" already comes pretty flush and the front is visually much more inside. The +8mm in front would make it look much better.

FYI I did a little thread about it. I was able to fit OEM 285/40/19s on the front with a 5mm spacer. But I wanted wider and went with a 9mm MPP hubcentric spacer and extended wheel studs so I could fit 305s square on OEM 19x10.5 wheels. No rubbing and I’m lowered on links.

Some may want to do this for appearance.

I was asking for two reasons. One, increased lateral grip. Two, ability to rotate wheels/tires for more even tread wear and life.
Ahh ok. I totally get the appearance thing. The 21's do look sweet.

As for even wear: I have found my tires are wearing evenly and I do check the tread every few months. For reference I drive 90% on the highway though, and more city driving may result in uneven wear.

Just curious, what is the purpose of this? Is it an appearance thing? Handling?

Why would we want the wider wheels on the front of the car?
Better braking and handling. Stock 19” wheels have 255 wide fronts if you go to 305 you have now increased the tire size by 20% and traction and braking accordingly. This car needs it with how much it weighs.

Reactions: K.I.T.T.23