Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

265/35 vs 275/35 Conti DWS06+ on 19x9.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the suggestions! I wish there was an easy solution but I don't think there is...

The arms are definitely tight against the tires, to the point that it's often hard to get the arms off the tire when unloading. I tend to run my tire pressures pretty high which is why there isn't much deformation. I always make sure to line up the "spool" between the tire tread, then yank the bottom of the tire outward before tightening the arm to get the maximum compression.

I'm pretty sure the gold bar knob is tight but I'll have to check. I never actually change the angle of the rack so I haven't looked at it in a long time. I've looked at the black bar though and don't see much (any) wiggle there at all.

When pushing and pulling on the bike it's pretty clear the remaining wiggle (after solving the steering movement) is mostly coming from flex in the arms which just happens to be the main area they chose to reinforce with their Xtreme duty rack by doubling them up with spacers in-between.

View attachment 1057556

I don't seem to be the only one having this issue either. Mine is wobbling somewhere between these two, less than the first but more than the second.
Curious how the hitch / rack setup is doing on dirt and driveways with the new drop!

Are you using the 2” stealth receiver or the 1.25? The 2” seems better in every way except that it gives slightly less clearance. The 1.25” 1up also seems to interface a little differently where the lowest part of the rack is a little higher than it is on the 2”

Thanks for the suggestions! I wish there was an easy solution but I don't think there is...

The arms are definitely tight against the tires, to the point that it's often hard to get the arms off the tire when unloading. I tend to run my tire pressures pretty high which is why there isn't much deformation. I always make sure to line up the "spool" between the tire tread, then yank the bottom of the tire outward before tightening the arm to get the maximum compression.

I'm pretty sure the gold bar knob is tight but I'll have to check. I never actually change the angle of the rack so I haven't looked at it in a long time. I've looked at the black bar though and don't see much (any) wiggle there at all.

When pushing and pulling on the bike it's pretty clear the remaining wiggle (after solving the steering movement) is mostly coming from flex in the arms which just happens to be the main area they chose to reinforce with their Xtreme duty rack by doubling them up with spacers in-between.

View attachment 1057556

I don't seem to be the only one having this issue either. Mine is wobbling somewhere between these two, less than the first but more than the second.
I don't know if lowering your tire inflation pressures a bit would help or not, but it would be easy to try. I'd be a bit concerned about the bike rack in the first video, but I wouldn't worry about the one in the second on the roof rack. It's interesting that the racks in both videos are going from front to back rather than the more typical side to side, but I gather that yours is in the more usual side to side positioning. If you really want to stop, or significantly reduce the wobble, the Extreme Duty rack would probably be your best bet.

Personally, I'd probably just stick with your current rack, ignore the wobble, and inspect it regularly for any signs of cracking or breakage. The 1Up racks are extremely tough and the aluminum pieces will bend quite a bit before breaking; they're definitely not brittle.

I don't know if lowering your tire inflation pressures a bit would help or not, but it would be easy to try. I'd be a bit concerned about the bike rack in the first video, but I wouldn't worry about the one in the second on the roof rack. It's interesting that the racks in both videos are going from front to back rather than the more typical side to side, but I gather that yours is in the more usual side to side positioning. If you really want to stop, or significantly reduce the wobble, the Extreme Duty rack would probably be your best bet.

Personally, I'd probably just stick with your current rack, ignore the wobble, and inspect it regularly for any signs of cracking or breakage. The 1Up racks are extremely tough and the aluminum pieces will bend quite a bit before breaking; they're definitely not brittle.

Funny timing... Announced yesterday:

First Look: New and Improved 1UP USA 2024 Super Duty Double Hitch Rack

Seems like 1UP also decided the wobble was a problem and are releasing an updated super duty rack. My unofficial wheel chock mod is now an available option and they reinforced the arms to make them stiffer.

Curious how the hitch / rack setup is doing on dirt and driveways with the new drop!

Are you using the 2” stealth receiver or the 1.25? The 2” seems better in every way except that it gives slightly less clearance. The 1.25” 1up also seems to interface a little differently where the lowest part of the rack is a little higher than it is on the 2”
I'm using the 2" receiver, mostly because I didn't want to deal with adapting the rack to my wife's Subaru but also for strength since the 1.25" rack seems quite a bit weaker.

So far my off-roading has been limited to pulling off the side of the road onto a dirt shoulder but I'm planning on going riding again this weekend and will let you know if I have any issues

Reactions: mkrone