Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

277V HPWC Charging and Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charging Model 3 via HPWC - "Voltage Too High"

Found this interesting thread on Model 3 and 277V charging. Seems the OP had trouble charging even though Model S and X charged fine. There's some background on the subject in the thread as well (TL;DR: 277V was supported on the Gen2 HPWC but support for the config was dropped from the manual and such for various reasons).

One thing I would like someone to test is to try to charge a Model 3 on a 277V HPWC where the voltage is at or lower 277V due to line quality (saw one screenshot of someone charging at 264V) and see if that works. I also am guessing that perhaps due to the way the Model 3 senses voltage and ramps the initial load may not be as high, so the voltage would read higher and trip the over current protection more easily.

Also kinda wish 277V was more supported from the get go at least for NA, as it would have simplified some commercial installs, but kinda of too late for that now.

Long rang dual motor model 3, works fine. Amperage fluctuates between 46 and 47. Never saw it go to 48

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    549 KB · Views: 1,683
Charging Model 3 via HPWC - "Voltage Too High"

Found this interesting thread on Model 3 and 277V charging. Seems the OP had trouble charging even though Model S and X charged fine. There's some background on the subject in the thread as well (TL;DR: 277V was supported on the Gen2 HPWC but support for the config was dropped from the manual and such for various reasons).

One thing I would like someone to test is to try to charge a Model 3 on a 277V HPWC where the voltage is at or lower 277V due to line quality (saw one screenshot of someone charging at 264V) and see if that works. I also am guessing that perhaps due to the way the Model 3 senses voltage and ramps the initial load may not be as high, so the voltage would read higher and trip the over current protection more easily.

Also kinda wish 277V was more supported from the get go at least for NA, as it would have simplified some commercial installs, but kinda of too late for that now.

Check out this thread for a lot more info:

Info from Tesla - 277v feed to Wall Connector (HPWC) - Which Cars Support It

277v totally works on a model 3 using a second gen wall connector.

They removed it from the manual since more recent model Model S and X cars could not handle voltages much over 277v and so when utilities fluctuated and delivered slightly higher voltages it was creating charging issues for those cars. So their solution was to remove the capability from the manual and hence all cars. :-(

But a model 3 will charge just fine on it. As will the older Model S vehicles.

And as long as your voltage is not much over 277v even the newer S and X units will charge.

You could install a buck/boost transformer to move 277v down by 5% and then feed that into the wall connector. This would then work on all cars. Ironically I think this is what Tesla does at a lot of supercharger stations since they use the same electronics as the newer S/X cars that have that limitation. Someone just posted pictures in the Portland Tesla Owners Club Group of them doing this in Springfield Oregon this week.

Reactions: Big Earl