Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 weeks, less than 900 miles, being towed to Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the US. I was not informed that I would have to pay for towing. I used Tesla Roadside Assistance through their support number. The person I talked to contacted a "Tesla approved" tow service. There's a minimum distance where they provide towing/delivery w/out charge. If I remember correctly it's something like 300 miles? Your situation sounds terrible :( Maybe it depends on the severity of the situation?

Yeah I'm thinking that if it was completely undriveable it might have been a different story and hopefully the tow would have been covered under roadside assistance. They had told me that within 1 hour is covered for service but anything beyond that is my responsibility.

Curious if you had your windows tinted or any PPF applied right before this happened. Was thinking it might have been caused by water damage.

Oh, interesting. I did have a clear bra applied last Thursday - bumper, and 24in. up the trunk. I wouldn't have even thought of that! I don't know if it matters, but they didn't open the frunk up at all. I had the car in valet mode the whole time they had it.

Sorry to hear this. Hope you get your baby back soon.
When I went to the "dealership" to pick up my car, they went to bring it around and have my walk through and an error came up on the car so they had to take it over to the service center to fix it. Well after waiting almost an hour, they came over and said it would take too long to fix but they had another one (same color & options). It was a bit of a pain to have to go back to my credit union & insurance to change the VIN# and re-do all the paperwork but glad they gave me another one. Nothing like picking up a brand new car & have something wrong with it. This was also on Sept 25th with the end of the quarter push. I wanted the free supercharging!!

Reactions: SerenityNow
My brand new M3 Performance was picked up and towed to a service center out of state today (I'm in a state that doesn't have any service centers). I've had it less than a month, and with less than 900 miles.

Yesterday, I started getting Parking Assist Disabled alerts, then additional safety system disabled/reduced alerts. The turn signals stopped working. I could not get the car to reliably get into gear w/out doing soft reboots, Power Off. I was finally able to get it back home and called Roadside Assistance. We worked through some troubleshooting - Power Off, soft reboot (steering wheel scroll buttons), cycling through these. Eventually, after about an hour, the alerts cleared up, the turn signals were working, things looked good. The rep I was working with requested a mobile service appt; someone would contact me w/in 24 hrs. Later that evening I took the car out for a drive to make sure things were still working and had no issues. Plugged her in, and tucked her in for the night.

This morning I get in and no disabled/reduced alerts. Cool. Time to turn onto a main highway, turn signals don't work. Ok, that's better than it was yesterday and the car is still driveable. Get to work, park and go about my business, plan on reporting the turn signal issue.

Time for lunch. Get in the car, and all of the safety system disabled/reduced alerts start popping up, can't get the car into ANY gear, stuck in Park. Do the Power Off, soft reboot hokey-pokey for a couple of cycles but nothing clears up, seems to get worse. I'm stranded at work, can't even get my car out of my parking spot.

Call Roadside Assistance again. They have no record of a mobile service request from yesterday. I go over what transpired yesterday and what's going on today, what I've tried. At this point I'd taken an Uber home because I had to let my dogs out and so I could pick up my other car. I basically had a $60k brick. The person I talked to was awesome and she got stuff done, was fantastic with follow up and follow through. She contacted mobile service, they confirmed that there's likely nothing they could do to fix the issue so it needs to be towed to a service center which, of course, is out of state.

Before 2019.36.2.1 everything seemed to be working marvelously. Not sure if the update is the issue or coincidence.

Well, there is no free lunch for sure. You are now driving more of a computer than a car. My 17MS does weird stuff all the time. Nothing quite as dramatic as you have experienced, but aggravating, perplexing and sometimes disabling just the same. I've had the screen go blank. The tire pressure monitors have gone berserk for days at a time. It reminds me of the new HP laptop I bought last year; for seemingly no reason at all will shut down.

Reactions: SerenityNow
No real insight here I’m <7 days <200 miles. but i feel fornyou, the money and excitement in getting this car would make the disappointment so much worse. Keep us informed, I’d like to think Tesla is going to take care of this fairly and quickly.