Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

30 amp charging at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
For the last couple of weeks when I get in my 2013 MS I get a note saying AC charging current too high, reducing current. In my years of charging at home (I have a NEMA 14-50 outlet and use my traveling cable for charging) the current I had for charging was 40 amp. Did Tesla reduce the charging current to 30 amp for us with the model 1 charging plugs which was maxed out at 40 amps?

Anyone else experience this.

Thanks

Hi all,
For the last couple of weeks when I get in my 2013 MS I get a note saying AC charging current too high, reducing current. In my years of charging at home (I have a NEMA 14-50 outlet and use my traveling cable for charging) the current I had for charging was 40 amp. Did Tesla reduce the charging current to 30 amp for us with the model 1 charging plugs which was maxed out at 40 amps?

Anyone else experience this.

Thanks
There's a couple of possibilities here.

When you manually set the amperage in the car it will remember the GPS coordinates of where you were and automatically reduced to that amount each time you plug in at that location. It's rare but I've seen it get confused with where it is and fall back on this setting which is a safety feature.

The second possibility is that you've got some issues with the quality of electricity that the car is seeing. There are numerous causes for this but some can have drastic results. Not to scare you but I want to impress upon you that these could include electrical fire in your home. You may need to seek professional assistance from an electrician to make sure that all of your connections are still properly terminated and that you don't have some sort of issue of stream in your electrical system causing fluctuations in the quality of electricity the car is receiving. This is also a safety feature.

As you can see, both of these are done in order to protect you as a safety feature. Take this seriously because the outcome could have serious ramifications. Hopefully it's something small and easily addressed though but I wouldn't initially treat it this way to be safe.

Thanks for your reply, I understand completely. This is not the first time this happened, it happened a couple of weeks ago. Checked the circuit panel and it looks good. No loose wires etc. The only thing it could be is the circuit breaker(50 amp). Have had no power outages at the home. Will get an electrician to look. Have a service appointment this week will ask there also.
Thanks for the info.

Funny thing - I'm in the UK on 240volts. My charger is 32amp and my 2015 Model S normally charges at 7kW/32amps. On 21 March it suddenly started charging on night scheduled charge at 16amps. Note that Software Update 2020.8.1.1. installed 3 hours before according to TeslaFi. But unplugging and re-connecting brought up 32amps - until the next charge. So not a charger fuse. This has been going on since 21st March. After much checking of my charger, generally bug*!?ing around and borrowing a 32amp Juice Booster charger I concluded that it was a software related problem.

Would you believe it, last night it schedule charged at 32amps again! I have been told that Tesla occasionally implement software fixes without revealing them. I strongly suspect that 2020.8.1.1. introduced a bug that they have just fixed. I'll be checking whether it charges at 32amps tonight! - Another UK guy has experienced the same problem.

Get a cheap laser pyro and check temps at the 14-50 receptacle, the 14-50 plug, the UMC body where the wires go in and out, the car cable, and the car plug.

While I have not seen any EVSE code for excessive temps, many have sensors in them for that purpose. By reducing amps, it reduces temps. Some cars will derate for charge port temp then ramp it back up later.