Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

310 miles of range on October 2018 AWD with nearly 17,000 miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been reasonably disciplined to:

1) charge in the last 3 hours before leaving for work - to minimize elapsed time at high state of charge, and

2) charge to 66% state of charge, or less, for a 60 EPA mile commute (usually start at 160 miles and return at about 100 miles) - to minimize elapsed time at high state of charge.

3) charge to 30% (100 miles) immediately when I get home empty to minimize time at less than 30% state of charge. I am confused about one of the electrodes shrinking permanently if low on ions, and figure soft materials creep, so only bounce the battery off its charge floor. I don't leave it there.

Now, for the first time, I see 310 miles of range when doing my bi-monthly range check.

Have I been tricked into a pigeon pecking ritual by a new range estimating algorithm?

Software Version is 2019.8.5 3aaa23d

Does anyone else see 310 miles of range on an LR AWD at 15K miles with this software version?

... Particularly those with a different charging ritual?

(reasoning for ritual is to avoid:
a) capacity fade caused by an oxide build up on an cell electrode left in a high charge state
b) cell death from state of charge related dendrite growth
c) collapsed electrode due to extended periods of ion starving at one extreme state, or the other
)

Last edited by a moderator:
In Texas, you are doing a lot of work for absolutely nothing. And as you can see, it is actually less than nothing, its yielding undesirable results.

Set the max to 90%, plug in when you get home and life will be happy. I charge to 80%, but make sure that I bring it to 100% every few months.18,000 miles.

Under NO circumstances is 66% a "high state of charge" IMHO, regularly taking the car really low is the worse thing that you can do.

As Elon mentioned recently, these cells are expected to last 300,000 miles.

Tesla designed the batteries to just work. You are taking all sorts of conflicting information about various battery chemistries and applying to a fashion that just doesn't really make sense.

Here's what to do to make the car and you happy. Disconnect / turn off all monitoring apps. Through away any monthly range checks. Forget about the battery, treat is like a gas car, if you need energy, add it, feel free to also plug in nightly. Feel free to miss nights.

Enjoy the car, stop worry about it. Tesla designed the car to be a car, not something that has to be worried about.

I just passed 9k miles. I usually charge to 80% daily, and some days when I wake up, I'll raise my limit to 90% so it can charge/warm up the battery as I'm getting ready. It doesn't usually actually finish charging to 90% before I unplug to leave. My normal commute is about 70 miles a day. I'll get down below 30% usually once a week. I'm still getting 310 miles of range on my AWD.

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51 and 22522
My battery calibration has been a constant struggle. Most recently, when I charged to 100%, I got 299 miles on my AWD.

I'm starting to think my main problem is that my car spends lots of time unplugged. I typically charge it to 80%, let it drain to about 50%, then plug in again. My commute is short, so this means I'm plugging in once or twice a week, for about 4 hours at a time.

I'm going to let it drain to <10% and fill to 100%, maybe several times, then get in the habit of plugging in every evening.
Hopefully that helps.

• Informative
Reactions: 22522
My battery calibration has been a constant struggle. Most recently, when I charged to 100%, I got 299 miles on my AWD.

I'm starting to think my main problem is that my car spends lots of time unplugged. I typically charge it to 80%, let it drain to about 50%, then plug in again. My commute is short, so this means I'm plugging in once or twice a week, for about 4 hours at a time.

I'm going to let it drain to <10% and fill to 100%, maybe several times, then get in the habit of plugging in every evening.
Hopefully that helps.

Why would you do that? Tesla specifically says to leave the car plugged in as much as possible when the car's not in use...

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
No matter how many times Tesla or Musk give reassuring advice, we still see people worrying. I guess untl these cars have been on the road for a decade or so will the second guessing end. I will admit Elon tweets so much stuff that he is probably responsible for some of the overthinking.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Why would you do that? Tesla specifically says to leave the car plugged in as much as possible when the car's not in use...
I have free workplace charging, so I generally have incentive to stay unplugged at home and plug in at work... although I don't want to take up the workplace spots everyday, so I end up not plugging in for days at a time...
I don't know. Don't judge. I'm changing my ways.

I have free workplace charging, so I generally have incentive to stay unplugged at home and plug in at work... although I don't want to take up the workplace spots everyday, so I end up not plugging in for days at a time...
I don't know. Don't judge. I'm changing my ways.
Don't worry about charging every day if it works for you. Tesla doesn't want people to worry about the battery, hence why they write so little about it.

As to the statement that a plugged in car is a happy one, take it with a grain of salt. I feel that some people tend to think that it means that you should keep it plugged into a generator when moving.
I think their intent is to suggest just don't run it down. After all, is leaving it unplugged for 10 hours while at work too much? What about those who only charge just before traveling, they stay unplugged for 20+ hours. Does 25 hours damage the battery? 36? 48? 72?

Just charge as it works for you. The car's with the most mileage, 400,000, Supercharge daily.

Reactions: duanra and hcdavis3
Don't worry about charging every day if it works for you. Tesla doesn't want people to worry about the battery, hence why they write so little about it.

As to the statement that a plugged in car is a happy one, take it with a grain of salt. I feel that some people tend to think that it means that you should keep it plugged into a generator when moving.
I think their intent is to suggest just don't run it down. After all, is leaving it unplugged for 10 hours while at work too much? What about those who only charge just before traveling, they stay unplugged for 20+ hours. Does 25 hours damage the battery? 36? 48? 72?

Just charge as it works for you. The car's with the most mileage, 400,000, Supercharge daily.

Yeah, I'm not worried about my charging habits with respect to battery health... it's purely about the battery calibration for me.

I also think that "a happy Tesla is a plugged in Tesla" line is 100% about making it simple for those users who know nothing so they don't deplete the battery.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Last edited by a moderator:
66% is completely wrong! It needs to be 68.5%!!!

Seriously, keeping the battery in a moderate SoC is a good idea, but you're way overdoing it. Just pick a good charge limit that works for you (I'd suggest 70-80% with a 60 mile commute) and let the car charge overnight.

Also, what exactly do you mean by "bi-monthly range check"? And what's so strange about 310 miles of range? I never do a "range check", but when I charge the car to nearly full for a long-range trip it always comes out at 310 plus/minus a few miles. In early firmware versions the battery estimator had issues, but more recently it has been spot on without micro-managing the battery.

• Informative
As others have said, you’re wayyyy overdoing it.

I live in New England, charge to 100% most days, commute 240 miles (round trip) a few times a week for work, and supercharge every few weeks. I’ve had my car since the end of November/early December 2018 and have put about 17k miles on it so far. Averaging about ~1000-1500 miles a week. And guess what? I still get 310 miles on a full charge.

So, like I (and others) said above... you’re way overdoing it. It’s looking like the battery packs in the Model 3 were built with longevity in mind. You’ve got nothing to worry about. :)

I've been reasonably disciplined to:

1) charge in the last 3 hours before leaving for work - to minimize elapsed time at high state of charge, and

2) charge to 66% state of charge, or less, for a 60 EPA mile commute (usually start at 160 miles and return at about 100 miles) - to minimize elapsed time at high state of charge.

3) charge to 30% (100 miles) immediately when I get home empty to minimize time at less than 30% state of charge. I am confused about one of the electrodes shrinking permanently if low on ions, and figure soft materials creep, so only bounce the battery off its charge floor. I don't leave it there.

Now, for the first time, I see 310 miles of range when doing my bi-monthly range check.

Have I been tricked into a pigeon pecking ritual by a new range estimating algorithm?

Software Version is 2019.8.5 3aaa23d

Does anyone else see 310 miles of range on an LR AWD at 15K miles with this software version?

... Particularly those with a different charging ritual?

(reasoning for ritual is to avoid:
a) capacity fade caused by an oxide build up on an cell electrode left in a high charge state
b) cell death from state of charge related dendrite growth
c) collapsed electrode due to extended periods of ion starving at one extreme state, or the other
)

I was under the impression Li-ion batteries needed to be charged to 100% once in a while to balance the cells.

• Helpful
The only time you need to do a range check is after 7.5 years or 90,000 miles - whichever comes first (enough time to put in a warranty claim before it expires.) Otherwise just charge whenever and however is most convenient. Save 100% charging for trips just because it is more efficient as you don't loose regeneration due to the high state of charge, not because of the battery. This isn't a Leaf with a fragile battery. It will work just fine unless you intentionally abuse it.

• Helpful
Reactions: hoang51
According to @wk057 on this post, "The short answer to the balancing question: It balances any time it needs to balance. As for SoC shenanigans, yes getting closer to 100% or 0% will give it a chance to tune things better... but it's not needed anymore. Just charge like you need to, and drive."
Either that, or you can think to yourself, "This has been designed and refined for years by the worlds smartest scientist backed by billions of dollars in R&D. I'm sure I can out think them with their own product."

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51