Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

39 miles range loss in 10 days unplugged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
I decided to park the Model 3 at the airport when I went on my trip last week. Partly so I would not have to drive the stinker, and because it's convenient to have my car there when I get back, and for a ten-day trip the cost of parking is as near as makes no difference the same as taking a cab. And because I wanted to see how much range I'd lose. (I sure wish there was a way to completely shut the car down except for the NFC reader, so it could be parked without losing range.)

When I parked the car at the airport it reported 196 miles of range. When I got back ten days later it reported 157 miles of range. So roughly 4 miles range loss per day unplugged. I won't be able to plug it in while I am up at the hiking lodges in Canada this summer.

Is 4 miles per day of range loss about what other folks have experienced?

Most of my trip will work out fine, since two of the places I'll be going are at towns with superchargers. One of the lodges has no supercharger anywhere near, so I may have to drive a couple hours extra to get a charge. Still, I'm going to do it rather than drive the stinker.

Did you turn off cabin overheat protection (if you have the update) & "always connected"? Any accessories (dashcam) hooked up? I would think that's a pretty acceptable loss for usual settings. With my Dashcam and 'always connected' turned on as well as cabin overheat protection on my Model S, I lose about 10 miles per day. I can cut that to 3/day if I turn everything off.

A few weeks ago, I parked my Model X at the airport for 7 days, and I was expecting about 3 miles per day loss. But when I got back, I only lost about 8 miles. I did turn on Energy Saving, unchecked Always Connect, and turned off Cabin Overheat Protection. Also I only checked on my car once during the 7 days via the mobile app. I didn't want to wake the car up too many times.

I parked my Model 3 when it was new (and on 18.19) for 10 days, and lost about 1% a day. It started at 250miles and lost between 2-3 a day at most.

Later, I installed the tezlab app to track power lost and vampire drain more specifically, and the daily loss went UP to over 5 mile/day loss. So, I uninstalled the 3rd party app and the loss went down to 2 a day. After the latest 21.9 update that the car is on, it's only 1-2 miles a night. (15 hours sitting).

So, check your current SW version and maybe remove 3rd party apps to test if you have any installed.

• Informative
Reactions: Polly Wog
I parked my Model 3 when it was new (and on 18.19) for 10 days, and lost about 1% a day. It started at 250miles and lost between 2-3 a day at most.

Later, I installed the tezlab app to track power lost and vampire drain more specifically, and the daily loss went UP to over 5 mile/day loss. So, I uninstalled the 3rd party app and the loss went down to 2 a day. After the latest 21.9 update that the car is on, it's only 1-2 miles a night. (15 hours sitting).

So, check your current SW version and maybe remove 3rd party apps to test if you have any installed.
Third party apps are a great example of the Hawthorn effect— the act of observing a behavior changes the behavior you’re trying to study. Best advice is to keep third party apps off your car.