Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$3K loss in value over night? UGH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my MY 10 days ago and Tesla just reduced the price by $3K which means we all just lost $3K in value overnight.

You would think Tesla would have SOME program here for super new car buyers (making up the number but something like anyone who bought at the higher price within 14 days) where you can at the very least get that $3K credited towards upgrades like FSD.

What an absolute gut punch to have a brand new car depreciate an additional $3K as a result of Tesla driving the price down. So frustrating.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
You would think Tesla would have SOME program here for super new car buyers

They don't have anything like this.

If it happens while you ordered, before delivery, most of the times you can get the discount applied, otherwise, not much to do about it. Happens a lot and it is painful for new owners.

It also messes with those selling 1-2 year old Teslas when reality hits them how much less is a new one now compared to what they paid for it back then.

Picked up my MY 10 days ago and Tesla just reduced the price by $3K which means we all just lost $3K in value overnight.

You would think Tesla would have SOME program here for super new car buyers (making up the number but something like anyone who bought at the higher price within 14 days) where you can at the very least get that $3K credited towards upgrades like FSD.

What an absolute gut punch to have a brand new car depreciate an additional $3K as a result of Tesla driving the price down. So frustrating.
No they didn’t.

The price for the PUP version was only dropped by $1000.

There is no such thing with Tesla - Not to mention any other manufacturer. I take it you have NOT read S/X model price decreases when it happened couple of years back.

Car companies do it all the time - it’s just disguised as an "incentive" or rebate. Crap goes on sale all the time too - the market fluctuates - housing, cars, clothes, burritos. Get used to it. You paid market value when you bought - and market value changed. It’ll change again.

enjoy your purchase!

Tesla does have something - its 7 days. And if they extend it by 7 more days for you, why not 3 weeks? Why not a year?

The 7 day "return" policy has absolutely nothing to do with pricing given their whole model centers on the fact that the price is fixed, take it or leave it, no negotiation is on the board. As buyers, we accept that unique model. The 7 days you speak of is built around acceptance of the overall vehicle and disparity to what most buyers are used to and have buyers regret (which Tesla is confident enough in that this is few and far between). When someone buys a Tesla they don't think "but what if the price gets slashed in my 7-day return window. Thankfully they provide the option to return it and I can just re-buy it for $3K less".

To wave a wand and wipe $3K off a brand new car's worth overnight is not normal practice to my limited knowledge. Educate me/us to the contrary. A car manufacturer singlehandedly manipulating the depreciation value of a 10-day old car by 5% in an attempt to fuel sales is disingenuous at the least and potentially very much an act of consumer fraud at the most.

All I'm saying is, there should be some level of reparations layered in for the 20,000 or so consumers that just got fleeced because they fell into the wrong side of their deceptive sales tactics.

You think that's bad? You should see how bad the cars I sell depreciate within seconds of pulling out of the dealer lot. (I sell BMW's)

There is no such thing with Tesla - Not to mention any other manufacturer. I take it you have NOT read S/X model price decreases when it happened a couple of years back.

I posted that reply after seeing all the follow-up posts. Clearly this is to be expected by Tesla. I had no idea and I suppose that makes me the fool. Didn't and doesn't seem above the board but if this is their track record then my bad for not doing my homework.

You think that's bad? You should see how bad the cars I sell depreciate within seconds of pulling out of the dealer lot. (I sell BMW's)

Oh, I believe you. That's why I've been a "leaser" for so many years. This is the first car I actually "bought" in 12 years. So it's a bit of a blow when you go that long, convince yourself this type of vehicle is worthy of actually eating that "just lost 10% or more taking delivery" and then having to take a 5% uppercut to the chin days later. I'm seeing by the replies that I obviously didn't educate myself on what now seems like par for the course. That's fully on me. And sorry for the venting folks!

Final thought... Any car dealer obviously has the flexibility to sell the car for whatever they want, but it doesn't change the MSRP, which is what the residual is anchored off of. My issue is that Tesla dropped the MSRP after 10 days by $3K. Discounting the Model Y is one thing and I'd have no issue, but reducing the MSRP by $3K royally screws every owner of that vehicle in real-time. Not right but apparently it's normal so that's that.

No doubt, every penny counts and $3k is not chump change regardless of what your income bracket is. But this happens on almost everything we buy, from $10 books on Amazon to $500k homes. The vast majority of the time, the price it what it is when you buy it, and if it was worth it to you then, then be happy! No regular auto dealership is going to retroactively go back and refund $3k on every Volvo it sold last week just because someone came in and negotiated a $3k discount on the one they just bought today. No auto dealership is going to retroactively apply a new manufacturer incentive to prior sales.

And if it's resale value you're worried about, take comfort in the fact that Tesla is crushing the competition in that area too: Tesla Model 3 retains almost 90% of its value over 3 years, study shows - Electrek It may be premature to suggest that a lower MSRP affects long-term value. The legacy car industry had fixed MSRP and yes, that could be tied to future residual value. But Tesla has a new take on this too... they don't have fixed MSRP, just like they don't have fixed model year iterations (though they do now in name). The market hasn't caught up yet it terms of how do deal with that calculation for a car whose MSRP is variable.

In the scheme of life is $3k worth getting bent out of shape about? Life's too short, enjoy your new car!

Last edited:
And if it's resale value you're worried about, take comfort in the fact that Tesla is crushing the competition in that area too: Tesla Model 3 retains almost 90% of its value over 3 years, study shows - Electrek!

Just because it's written in an article doesn’t make it true. Anyone who follows the Tesla market knows that there have been plenty of M3s listed for sale for more than 10.2% below MSRP (and probably sell for less) that aren’t even ONE year old yet.

Also, a lot of articles that talk about resale or depreciation give a misleading advantage to cars that typically sell at or near MSRP like Tesla. When you calculate resale against MSRP, part of the depreciation is actually the initial discount/rebate which is not really a loss to the buyer. This is why Tesla's resale values can be misleadingly high when compared against cars sold at a discount.

Example:
Car "A" has an MSRP of $50,000 and sells new for $50,000.
Car "B" has an MSRP of $57,000 and sells new for $50,000.

Even if both of these cars have the exact same resale percentage, car "A" would have lost more cash value e.g., if resale for both is 80% of original MSRP, car "A" would’ve lost $10,000 while car "B" would’ve only lost $4,400.

Even if car "A" had a resale value of 90% and car "B" had a resale value of only 80%, car "A" would've still lost more in value from selling price despite its higher resale %.

It's not that some Teslas haven't had good resales but because they typically sell at full MSRP new, their resale percentage can be misleadingly high when compared against cars sold at a discount. This is the same reason why Saturn, which also usually sold at full MSRP at least in its early years, did misleadingly well in resale value comparisons. It wasn't necessarily that the cars held their values better, it had to do with how resale percentages are usually calculated.

Buyer beware when it comes to Tesla and resale values and how they're calculated!

Final thought... Any car dealer obviously has the flexibility to sell the car for whatever they want, but it doesn't change the MSRP, which is what the residual is anchored off of. My issue is that Tesla dropped the MSRP after 10 days by $3K. Discounting the Model Y is one thing and I'd have no issue, but reducing the MSRP by $3K royally screws every owner of that vehicle in real-time. Not right but apparently it's normal so that's that.

Except neither dealers nor car manufacturers can determine used car values. It is entirely up to the market. It is worse for non-Teslas as some expensive options get zeroed the minute it is a used car. This is part of the reason BMWs take a huge depreciation when it take it off the lot. You won't even notice the $3k loss that it took last week when it comes time to sell.