Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40 minute charging maximum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at Atascadero this week and the lines were huge... I didn't see the sign so perhaps they put them up once they started noticing the big lines. I did see this sign at San Luis Obispo (Madonna Inn) but it was behind all the chargers out of site.

I don't get why people would sit there for a long time waiting for 100%.... isn't that last 10-20% like 40 minutes? I would rather stop twice at chargers a shorter amount of time than fill up at one.

The way some people on road.trips make charging convenient is by grabbing a meal while the car charges. Getting up after 40 minutes to trot back to the car in the middle of a meal is not much fun.

Also, if you're on a road trip traveling from the Highway 5 corridor to the Highway 1 corridor there are fairly long gaps before and after Atascadero. I'm there now. We arrived with a low charge from Tejon and can use a pretty good charge to get us to our next stop. 75-80% might be great if you're using the Superchargers to power your commute, but if you are, you're the one misusing the system.

So, yeah, I think I have a legitimate need for a 90% charge and, since there are only a couple other cars there, I'm not sure who I'm inconveniencing by doing so.

I don't use Superchargers much (road trips only, I have a garage) and I've only seen these signs a couple of times. In both cases (SLO and Atascadero) the chargers were largely empty at the time. I'm sure those stations get busy at other times, but the signs are a pretty blunt instrument to relieve congestion.

Reactions: cwmagui
It's much more efficient (time wise) to charge at the low end of capacity. Much faster to charge from 10% to 50% than 50% to 90%. Faster charging, less waiting. Keep your car at a low state of charge and only charge enough to get to the next SC.
If you sit in your car while it charges, yes. But if you eat or run an erand while you charge, charging in one place for a bit over an hour is way more convenient than staring at the steering wheel for 30 minutes twice.

The car may charge more quickly, but more of the driver's time is wasted.

• Love
Reactions: cwmagui