Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Incorrect Off-Peak Billing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've gone to the Marina del Rey, CA Supercharger twice now at just after midnight when the rate drops to .11/kw. I've started the charge a few minutes after midnight, car shows the rate should be .11/kw but I've been charged the peak rate of .50/kw both times. I finally figured out how to call Tesla regarding the the charging situation and provided evidence of the .11/kw rate on my car's screen. They said it's a widely known issue where the clocks in the supercharger are behind about 5-10 minutes. I asked for a refund of the difference after they acknowledged the issue is on their end and they said no refunds will be given. They admitted this is a widespread issue and from what I've seen on reddit, it goes back at least 3 months, if not a lot longer. They're essentially robbing everyone that is charging right when the rate changes and I wouldn't be surprised if people don't even realize they're being charged the wrong rate.

Needless to say, I'm very pissed about this. In the meantime, DON'T start charging until at least 10 minutes after the rates are supposed to change, assuming you're doing so to get a lower rate.

I've gone to the Marina del Rey, CA Supercharger twice now at just after midnight when the rate drops to .11/kw. I've started the charge a few minutes after midnight, car shows the rate should be .11/kw but I've been charged the peak rate of .50/kw both times. I finally figured out how to call Tesla regarding the the charging situation and provided evidence of the .11/kw rate on my car's screen. They said it's a widely known issue where the clocks in the supercharger are behind about 5-10 minutes. I asked for a refund of the difference after they acknowledged the issue is on their end and they said no refunds will be given. They admitted this is a widespread issue and from what I've seen on reddit, it goes back at least 3 months, if not a lot longer. They're essentially robbing everyone that is charging right when the rate changes and I wouldn't be surprised if people don't even realize they're being charged the wrong rate.

Needless to say, I'm very pissed about this. In the meantime, DON'T start charging until at least 10 minutes after the rates are supposed to change, assuming you're doing so to get a lower rate.
I find it hard to accept the explanation that highly connected superchargers could have clocks that are minutes behind (or ahead) of actual time. This would imply really poor clock circuits and a total lack of clock discipline.

Easy to prove or disprove. Hook up to the same charger a minute after the rate goes up and see if you get charged the lower rate. A slow clock would delay the price increase as much as the decrease.

Same problem occurred to me on 9/23/23. here are two screenshots showing the charge rate after 11p should be $0.25/kwh. But at 11:06p the system was still charging me $0.46/kwh.

IMG_9757.jpg
IMG_9756.jpg