Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4680 mock up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to see what a 4680 battery would look and feel like in real life so I turned on quickly on a lathe. No wonder it is going to be a game changer on energy density.

I put it next to common things so you can see the dimensions to compare. Any requests let me know. The only 2170 I have is already part of a pack I have for a drone and its embedded in resin so I can't show it, but the red lines approximate its size in one photo.

There is a D a C a 9V and a AAA in one photo also.

IMG_7501.jpg
IMG_7502.jpg
IMG_7503.jpg
IMG_7504.jpg
IMG_7499.jpg
IMG_7500.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up and byeLT4
And sadly, while the 4680 will reduce manufacturing costs for Tesla, it won't be passed down to the consumer. More than likely Tesla will raise their prices even more, making it harder for the average person to get into an EV. And ultimately this will encourage people to buy from other EV manufactures.

And sadly, while the 4680 will reduce manufacturing costs for Tesla, it won't be passed down to the consumer. More than likely Tesla will raise their prices even more, making it harder for the average person to get into an EV. And ultimately this will encourage people to buy from other EV manufactures.
I cannot @Resist to reply to your comment...

While you are right, currently Tesla is in high demand and prices are following the market.
Everything is going up too, I can even sale my car for a higher price than I bought it.

But if you look at the long term, from Elon Musk words, and other analysts,
the only car companies who will be able to survive are the one able to produce a low cost EV.

Tesla with the Cell-to-pack technology, which integrates battery cells into the car frame,
the Giga casting eliminating hundred of parts, and the over simplyfied dashboard...
are all going on the way the reduce costs.

I can't wait to see a more affordable Tesla Q (or what ever name will be)
to become the new VW Beetle of the 60's.

So far, mostly Tesla and BYD, with the BYD Seal, are the major companies going in the direction of lowering production costs.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
I wanted to see what a 4680 battery would look and feel like in real life so I turned on quickly on a lathe. No wonder it is going to be a game changer on energy density.

I put it next to common things so you can see the dimensions to compare. Any requests let me know. The only 2170 I have is already part of a pack I have for a drone and its embedded in resin so I can't show it, but the red lines approximate its size in one photo.

There is a D a C a 9V and a AAA in one photo also.

View attachment 802243

Compare to a 12oz and 5.5oz can of soda/juice.

Here is what 5.5 is. It is a 5395. ;)
tree-top-juice-5-5oz.png