Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.66" rear screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

AE has some nice sale going on now and there are a few 8.66" screens available for $150 or less. The only issue I've noticed is that most have a warning in the description saying if your car has a 16V battery, the rear screen isn't recommended. I asked Navifly (a seller on AE) and they just said what the description states. They weren't sure about the details or of it would actually work. I asked Satonic (another seller) and they said it would work with the 16V battery and they only listed 12V because there wasn't an option in the drop down list to select 16V as well.

My query is. I've seen Tesstudio and others here sell the same product and apparently it works with the newer 16V battery as well. I assume these systems are basically all the same, just being sold by different sellers. If I buy the one from, say, Navifly, would it work on my 2023 December Austin-built MYLR with the 16V battery?

I ordered from a different seller who swears it will work even in my 16v car even though it says it's not recommended in his description. He asked me to contact him if in the rare case it doesn't and he'll make it right. Let's see.

I can't
I ordered from a different seller who swears it will work even in my 16v car even though it says it's not recommended in his description. He asked me to contact him if in the rare case it doesn't and he'll make it right. Let's see.
That is kind of strange that they would even be mentioned since Tesla moved to the 16V lithium ion batteries several years back and this is the first I have even heard that this would even be an issue. You have to remember the AE folks are all from China so there could be a translation issue. I would probably see if there is a similar display because they are really the same item but resold as a different reseller. I would try to reach out to a different reseller and ask them the question but I cannot see a reason why this would be an issue since these Chinese rear displays have been around for awhile now. I think you are fine. I laugh at some of the English descriptions I see posted on products on AE because you can tell it was just translated.

What is your experience with the rear screen? I see some posters saying it’s unreliable & Hard to set up. I’d really like one though and hoping to hear positive experience from you guys. Thanks.
I don't have a rear screen personally myself but I have seen many installation videos on youtube and essentially they are all the same. All you are doing is removing the casing from the original OEM and replacing it with the screen and tapping into the rear OBD port to grab the signals. In terms of reliability I would think they get better and better but I would suggest watching youtube videos on what people get from like Hansshow/TLyard/Tesstudio. They are all the same product sold from China but are repackaged under a US reseller name and upcharging. That is what I do for my front display.

Reactions: VipinLJ
Bought one before I have my Y ; so cannot say but also interested.

Below is a brand new video from a fellow forum member Jae the Dev who just took delivery of a 2024 MYP ; seems like the install and use was similar if that identical for his car compared with this previous ; but likely can message him with any questions
This is the TesStudio one.

To me it seems a nice addition for the cost BUT more visual than actually functional based on what I can gather - based on reading negative comments on other Youtube videos and similar sources. For the back seat being able to adjust the temp (will also be adjusting the front when they do so) and then being able to turn on their heated seat, etc... it seems to me worth it even if the rest of the video functions are not used so consider those a bonus.

It is NOT the same thing as the Highland 3 currently has.

Hope to be convinced otherwise once I get my Y and can install it.

That is kind of strange that they would even be mentioned since Tesla moved to the 16V lithium ion batteries several years back and this is the first I have even heard that this would even be an issue. You have to remember the AE folks are all from China so there could be a translation issue. I would probably see if there is a similar display because they are really the same item but resold as a different reseller. I would try to reach out to a different reseller and ask them the question but I cannot see a reason why this would be an issue since these Chinese rear displays have been around for awhile now. I think you are fine. I laugh at some of the English descriptions I see posted on products on AE because you can tell it was just translated.

This is exactly why I ordered it from the cheapest seller on AE. I'm sure it's all the same just being resold. US resellers charge way too much for it. Worst case scenario, I'm out $130 and I'll chalk it up to a learning experience.

Bought one before I have my Y ; so cannot say but also interested.

Below is a brand new video from a fellow forum member Jae the Dev who just took delivery of a 2024 MYP ; seems like the install and use was similar if that identical for his car compared with this previous ; but likely can message him with any questions
This is the TesStudio one.

To me it seems a nice addition for the cost BUT more visual than actually functional based on what I can gather - based on reading negative comments on other Youtube videos and similar sources. For the back seat being able to adjust the temp (will also be adjusting the front when they do so) and then being able to turn on their heated seat, etc... it seems to me worth it even if the rest of the video functions are not used so consider those a bonus.

It is NOT the same thing as the Highland 3 currently has.

Hope to be convinced otherwise once I get my Y and can install it.

Yes. The only reason I got it was for the rear AC and heated seats control. My daughter might watch something on it but it's at a weird angle so I don't know. I also wanted the biggest AC vents along with the screen and the smaller screens had smaller vents. Plus it turned out to be cheaper than the 7.2" displays. So yes. Let's see.

This is exactly why I ordered it from the cheapest seller on AE. I'm sure it's all the same just being resold. US resellers charge way too much for it. Worst case scenario, I'm out $130 and I'll chalk it up to a learning experience.
I would assume you are correct.
Mine was shipped directly to me from China ; I would guess this product and many of these Telsa accessories we are often buying through a distributor type model and the place we buy it from just has the Chinese factory fulfill the order.

It arrived to me quickly (about 1 week from order date).

I think it looks cool, seems an easy install and for $200 or less is worth it for the aesthetics alone.

I installed it just now. It was pretty straightforward. The best part is the new wiring harness doesn't have a separate wire for the front passenger seat. It's built into the wiring harness. There's a separate plug that you can leave unconnected if you don't want to control the seat. But you don't have to unplug the passenger seat controls or worry about routing it, in case you'd like the control.

The screen works fine. No issues so far. I only have to figure out the time zone setting since it shows an hour ahead of my current time zone but I can't seem to adjust it since the time zone setting is weird. I also don't see an option to turn on or off the rear passenger seat setting (turning on or off depending on if there's a passenger at the back). It might be a software update setting. Let me see what the seller says.

Reactions: mreynolds767
Wife spent some time with the rear screen. And she's not happy. Reason being the screen is very slow to respond to touch input and requires quite a few taps sometimes. It can also lag a bit. The volume of the audio from the speakers on the screen also cannot seem to be controlled. I'll let her use it for a few more days to see if she'll get used to it (she hates android so that doesn't help). If she finds it annoying, I'll just return the screen or sell it on here. I saw YouTube videos from Satonic and other brands and the lag is obvious in those videos. If only I had seen those videos earlier.....

Reactions: mreynolds767