Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A good way of measuring accurately KWH usage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would be interesting to correlate the EV charging readings to what teslafi reports. I plug in my 10.1 cents per kWh (off peak scheduled departure) and it does all my reporting (including the charging efficiency to make up for cabin/battery heating).

I see you've found a solution, but to others, I cannot recommend this highly enough:
The Sense Home Energy Monitor
A whole house meter that will (over time) figure out what devices are drawing. No need for multiple CT clamps, just two around the mains (and another two if you have solar) And even if it doesn't "sense" the exact device you want (It still hasn't found my M3 yet...) with a real-timer power meter display it's very easy to see what's going on. Here's an example from yesterday:

sense.png

The large column from about 3 to 6 AM is the Model 3 charging. The yellow is output from the solar panels. The humps throughout the day are heat pumps...notice they drop low as the sun shines in the windows warming the house. Then the sun goes down and people come home, so the power jumps around 5 PM.

This pic is from the web...there's also an app that is super handy. Walk around turning things on/off. Instantly see how much power they draw. For example:
IMG_3017.PNG

The middle showing a two stage heat pump coming on, then off. And then I turned on one of my remaining incandescent light bulbs...note the increase of 82W on the right.

Thank you woof for the introduction to that product. It looks very interesting and reasonable in cost.

What have you found with your energy consumption on your M3 relative to what the car is showing? Is it fairly close or is there a consistent multiple between the two?