Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A most uncomfortable road trip because...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't drive my Tesla. I took my husband's Mazda 3 (with a manual transmission) on a trip because I just didn't want to extend the length of it to charge and because there was no way to charge my car at all at my destination. Stupidly left during rush hour. That was not fun for my left leg as I haven't driven a stick shift in 15 years! It rained most of the way and initially I couldn't understand why the wipers weren't working... oh yeah, *I* have to turn them on. LOL! The last hour of my trip was in the dark on curvy, hilly roads in heavy fog, so more driving at slow speeds with the clutch. My poor leg was done by the time I got to my hotel. And I couldn't tell where my turns were on these back country roads because I had to use the map program on my phone and there was no where to set it so I could see the map while I drove. I'm so used to having that map there! My 10 year old was in the back saying stuff like "you need to practice driving a stick more" and "language mom!" :oops: Holy cow I don't think I can ever go back to anything but a Tesla now. I'm so spoiled!

While I'm an EV enthusiast, I'm also a driving enthusiast of pretty much everything with tires. I agree EV powertrains are a huge advantage, but this is 2020. Few cars are available with manuals in the US. Ferrari doesn't even sell a manual anymore (arrgghh). The Mazda 3 base uses an antiquated 6-sp auto, most are 8 or more speeds now. Why? Autos now shift faster than most people, and get better mileage.

When you can get modern manuals many are 'No Lift Shift' and 'Rev matching'. That is you don't have to lift the throttle to upshift, and you don't have to 'heel-toe' downshift. While experienced track drivers have always been able to do this without computer assist, now everybody can look a professional racecar driver.

Navigation is not a Tesla strong point. Every car I own with navigation does it better. The lack of an HUD, no 'human concierge', and inability to run iPhone or Android Nav apps is what they lack.

My non-Tesla EVs have these features too.

But a 2020 Tesla is far better than most 2005 cars at Nav.

My 2017 Mazda 3's nav was radically inferior to my Tesla Model 3's nav...

It's also better than my friend's late-model BMW nav, including the nav on the brand-new loaner car he had for a month while his car's convertible top was in the shop for repairs.

I haven't driven with a HUD, but I prefer the Model 3 nav over any other in-car system I've seen (including Model S.)

I do wish it supported way points and the addition of points en route.

After checking out various nav systems at the DC Auto Show, no way would I say the Model 3's is inferior. It may lack a few things such as way points, but it more than makes up for that via ease of use and slick interface. Most of the systems I played with across brands sucked in comparison.

Lol! This is how I feel in my rental car. It’s not a manual though but it doesn’t have any of the QoL tech that’s in a Tesla. I hate driving it.

My rental has adaptive cruise control and lane assist but many time I forget it’s not AP. The car will ping pong between the lanes. I can’t drive anymore because I would forget to brake thinking regen will stop the car. I can’t stay centered in a lane either. It doesn’t have Hold mode so I would creep up past a stop light. I’m driving like a drunk driver or someone that’s high. Very dangerous for someone who drove 99% on Autopilot for almost 2 years to go back to driving an ICE car.

Reactions: CrayZ1
The #1 fault of many Nav systems is you must take your eyes off the road to see which lane you need to be in for interchanges.
HUD Nav is safer. IIRC, my 2009 car had it as base equipment. My 2010 certainly did.

What is really weird is the Hyundai Kona EV (?) I evaluated had it. A freakin' Hyundai.

Lol! This is how I feel in my rental car. It’s not a manual though but it doesn’t have any of the QoL tech that’s in a Tesla. I hate driving it.

My rental has adaptive cruise control and lane assist but many time I forget it’s not AP. The car will ping pong between the lanes. I can’t drive anymore because I would forget to brake thinking regen will stop the car. I can’t stay centered in a lane either. It doesn’t have Hold mode so I would creep up past a stop light. I’m driving like a drunk driver or someone that’s high. Very dangerous for someone who drove 99% on Autopilot for almost 2 years to go back to driving an ICE car.

I agree that after driving extensively in a 'creep off' 'max regen' EV, I screw up now and then in ICE cars. One pedal driving is addictive. As far as autosteering? I do miss it also when it's not there.

The #1 fault of many Nav systems is you must take your eyes off the road to see which lane you need to be in for interchanges.
HUD Nav is safer. IIRC, my 2009 car had it as base equipment. My 2010 certainly did.

What is really weird is the Hyundai Kona EV (?) I evaluated had it. A freakin' Hyundai.
Hyundai/Kia are making some of the best cars in the business and they are rich in features. Don't be surprised.

Hyundai/Kia are making some of the best cars in the business and they are rich in features. Don't be surprised.

I was surprised. They have come a long way. While I have a Model 3 coming, I wonder if the Kona EV might be a better choice if other people are going to be driving it. The power is lacking, but it's very well appointed. The 2020 Leaf has some significant flaws as does the Bolt.

Once you get used to a Tesla, you forget how different (better) it is that the gassers.

No need to twist a key or push a button to start. The start is silent, no grinding noises. No need to push the pedal down further to cause a downshift when you see a hill approaching. The nav screens are tiny and the motors feel underpowered until you again cause an downshift.

I often press the brake, expecting my door to automaticly close, there is no frunk to hold my briefcase, the headlights seem weak and I really miss my super smooth and quiet adaptive suspension. I had to run around the car to let my GF in her side instead of simply pushing a button on the screen to swing her door open magically.

I notice that most do not have adjustable air suspensions, so only one ride height, no matter what the situation. Pulling into a filthy gas station and holding that smelly, dripping gas nozzle has become discusting.

I can no longer see the sky and the windshield blocks much of my openness view.

In a gasser you constantly need to keep track of how soon a scheduled service, like oil changes or tuneups is due. In my previous Jeep it was every 7,500 miles, or more that once a year for me. I needed to call my dealership for an appointment, then deal with the service writer, and recently it seemed that eveytime I went in I was bothered by a new sales rep, "working the line" trying to sell me a new car. The place was pretty run down, the coffee horrible, and the vending machine had only unhealthy snacks.

I noticed that every time I pressed on the accelerator I got a different result. Sometimes the car would move soggily, remaing in the higher gear, and sometimes take off with gusto as it slammed down a couple gears. They were worse on the track, as often they would decide to shift mid-corner, causing traction to vanish.

Now, of course others may differ, but for me, driving a Tesla has altered my view of what personal transportation can be.

Not sure I could ever go back to a gasser.

I got to sit in a Kona EV at a car show and I thought it was nice. It will be interesting to see a comparison of the Kona EV and the Mustang Mach E.

You will be disappointed in the freeway passing power if you are accustomed to a Tesla, Jaguar, Audi, or even a Bolt. It's a touch quicker than the 2020 Leaf big-battery IMO, but I didn't actually measure it. Obviously it kicks sand in the face of any Prius (Prime), and lots of people think the Prius has adequate performance (EV mode 0-60 in 12 seconds).

The Mustang E has already filled their First Edition orders, but do not expect availability until Sept.

You will be disappointed in the freeway passing power if you are accustomed to a Tesla, Jaguar, Audi, or even a Bolt. It's a touch quicker than the 2020 Leaf big-battery IMO, but I didn't actually measure it. Obviously it kicks sand in the face of any Prius (Prime), and lots of people think the Prius has adequate performance (EV mode 0-60 in 12 seconds).

The car show I went to said they would have the Kona EV, Audi e-tron and Jaguar I-pace available to test drive. Unfortunately, they weren't actually there on the first day of the car show.. The e-tron on display, was bigger than I thought it would be based on the pics I saw.