Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

a_196 "12 volt battery has been disconnected" error *SOLVED*

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife just called frantically to say that she had received to following error whilst out driving:

63069795210__6EE7B476-4D6B-4EE7-83D5-369B796D93CF copy.png

Instructed her to return home without stopping. Once back home we tried:
1. Two scroll wheel reset - no change.
2. Vehicle power down - no change.

I popped the "mini grill" plastic cover in the front that allows access to the battery and wiper refill tank, etc.
Sure enough the negative battery lead was so loose I could remove it from the terminal with 3 fingers. Tightened it up. Error reset and no issues since.

We had an usually cold night last night (teens) which is probably anecdotal and not connected as the terminal really was super loose.
I'm documenting this here in case others have the same issue when searching for the error code.

Was your Model 3 ever serviced, where the battery might have been disconnected, or do you think it came from the factory like that 2+ yrs ago?
Ken, The front windscreen was replaced soon after we picked it up in Feb 18. I saw some left over black adhesive that had dripped right near the battery. That is the only time I can think of anyone having to access that compartment. Hard to believe it hasn't errored before this time. It was seriously loose. Like "untightened" loose.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC