Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing Onboard Charger Gen3 2017 MS75D...My Experience (With Photos)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I wrote this guide you couldn't.

I also can't get into service mode because I'm running 2 year old firmware.
You can enter service mode anywhere. I enabled it in my garage and staged the firmware download without going to a service center. Just replaced my dying onboard charger in my 2016 model s using your write up. 2 1/2 hrs and saved $2500. Great information. @dbldwn02 send me your Venmo PayPal etc I want to send you some beer money for your efforts. Thanks!

You can enter service mode anywhere. I enabled it in my garage and staged the firmware download without going to a service center. Just replaced my dying onboard charger in my 2016 model s using your write up. 2 1/2 hrs and saved $2500. Great information. @dbldwn02 send me your Venmo PayPal etc I want to send you some beer money for your efforts. Thanks!
All good man...just pay it forward. I didn't realize this DIY Thread would end up being 6 pages long. Just glad I could help at least one person. Made it worth all the cussing and mess I had to go through on my own...haha.

Hey guys.

Maybe someone could help me out.

I got a salvage s 100D 2019 imported from US to EU.

Decided to change few things before I start it (charger, port with cables, port door).

Then I wanted to program it all with toolbox 3 access and now the fun started. I couldn't do anything with toolbox as the keys haven't been recognized (they do open the car but they are not recognized for switching the drive rails on and so on opening the gateway in service mode). So added car to my tesla account and been able to click remote start but the car still didn't turn on the drive rails (too bad mobile acess is turned off in service mode and won't open the gateway.

Reading all the infos in this post I might accidentally made my car undrivable (turning on the drive rails) by switching the charger before I noticed that I can't open gateway. The funnier thing is now it turns out I would need to new key to be programmed and to do that you need to turn on the drive rails (service manual for tesla mobile techs - or T can pro manual).

Thankfully I still have old charger and charge port. Do you think taking it back (by just plugging harness in - maybe not swapping the charger once again) would make a difference? I feel like I'm in infinity loop with making unfortunate steps. Here are few errors from the car

Attachments

• 412500852_1342017036675790_2572661390265811264_n — kopia.jpg
    412500852_1342017036675790_2572661390265811264_n — kopia.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 412309505_307255138366472_7175261271439419856_n — kopia.jpg
    412309505_307255138366472_7175261271439419856_n — kopia.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 412309505_307255138366472_7175261271439419856_n.jpg
    412309505_307255138366472_7175261271439419856_n.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 412234277_880333686973616_2398390295998200861_n — kopia.jpg
    412234277_880333686973616_2398390295998200861_n — kopia.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 412234277_880333686973616_2398390295998200861_n.jpg
    412234277_880333686973616_2398390295998200861_n.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 412393224_1330494190848380_4513250170711804246_n — kopia.jpg
    412393224_1330494190848380_4513250170711804246_n — kopia.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 412393224_1330494190848380_4513250170711804246_n.jpg
    412393224_1330494190848380_4513250170711804246_n.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 28
Hey guys.

Sorry, I think your issues are way beyond anything most of us in this thread have experienced. You're probably better off going to the salvage thread for help.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Hey guys.

Decided to change few things before I start it (charger, port with cables, port door).

Then I wanted to program it all with toolbox 3 access and now the fun started. I couldn't do anything with toolbox as the keys haven't been recognized (they do open the car but they are not recognized for switching the drive rails on and so on opening the gateway in service mode). So added car to my tesla account and been able to click remote start but the car still didn't turn on the drive rails (too bad mobile acess is turned off in service mode and won't open the gateway.

Reading all the infos in this post I might accidentally made my car undrivable (turning on the drive rails) by switching the charger before I noticed that I can't open gateway. The funnier thing is now it turns out I would need to new key to be programmed and to do that you need to turn on the drive rails (service manual for tesla mobile techs - or T can pro manual).

Thankfully I still have old charger and charge port. Do you think taking it back (by just plugging harness in - maybe not swapping the charger once again) would make a difference? I feel like I'm in infinity loop with making unfortunate steps. Here are few errors from the car
did you put a different charger in the car? if you found a cheap one then it probably isnt designed for the hardware you are using. Did you do firmware redeploy, or update using toolbox 3?
next, why are you replacing these things? are they different in Europe than US? If you are replacing then you probably need to find out the correct part number for your car from tesla service then replace and firmware redeploy should do the trick. or have you tried any of these?

I dont know the answer to your questions, but it can be figured out. Looking at your fault codes I found:
GTW-f197
GTW-f196
GTW-f194
GTW-f193
GTW-f016
GTW-f015

These all have keyword 'mismatch' which leads me to believe something is not happy inside.

did you put a different charger in the car? if you found a cheap one then it probably isnt designed for the hardware you are using. Did you do firmware redeploy, or update using toolbox 3?
next, why are you replacing these things? are they different in Europe than US? If you are replacing then you probably need to find out the correct part number for your car from tesla service then replace and firmware redeploy should do the trick. or have you tried any of these?

I dont know the answer to your questions, but it can be figured out. Looking at your fault codes I found:
GTW-f197
GTW-f196
GTW-f194
GTW-f193
GTW-f016
GTW-f015

These all have keyword 'mismatch' which leads me to believe something is not happy inside.
That's quite obvious that version mismatch made something inside not working properly, but it turns out it will even prevent the car from starting or even letting you to change gears from park to neutral. I haven't expected that because although charger is an element of HV system it is not involved while the car is driven. So unable to charge would be sufficent.

Yes, charger on US cars is 1-phase (high amperage), on EU 3-phase (low amperage). All in all it charges in similar speed in both cases but it's correlated with electrical installations at homes.

I found the possible cause. I have installed CCS and when doing redeploy it looked ok (passed) but version mismatch stayed (my car had no CCS in car config). I unplugged CCS and will to redeploy which should work now.Turns out the steps are 1. Redeploy changed elements, 2. Change Car cofiguration 3. Add CCS adapter (CCS is plugged between the car and charger).

That's quite obvious that version mismatch made something inside not working properly, but it turns out it will even prevent the car from starting or even letting you to change gears from park to neutral. I haven't expected that because although charger is an element of HV system it is not involved while the car is driven. So unable to charge would be sufficent.

Yes, charger on US cars is 1-phase (high amperage), on EU 3-phase (low amperage). All in all it charges in similar speed in both cases but it's correlated with electrical installations at homes.

I found the possible cause. I have installed CCS and when doing redeploy it looked ok (passed) but version mismatch stayed (my car had no CCS in car config). I unplugged CCS and will to redeploy which should work now.Turns out the steps are 1. Redeploy changed elements, 2. Change Car cofiguration 3. Add CCS adapter (CCS is plugged between the car and charger).
Doesn't matter what the component is. Mismatch is a mismatch and the car won't drive. See post #1. The on board charger doesn't make the car drive but it still bricked the car.

CCS upgrade requires a bit flip somewhere deep in engineering settings. Not easy to get to. There are other threads on doing that upgrade yourself.

Thanks to dbldwn02 for his work and all the other people here. My situation is a bit different but still want to seek advice here.
I moved to Spain and brought my 2015 S with me for relatively low mileage free SC and overall very good shape. All the EU mods were completed but somehow along the way the phase 1 on the master charger failed (this makes it impossible to charge at 220V outlet or monophasic wall charger). Could be during the mods or just because it was the time. Tesla in Spain refuses to work on US cars that were modified (they don't do the mods so is BS), on charging issues, everything else they would service. They would also sell me the gen 2 charger. Looking at this and having computer engineering background, I could probably do it, however honestly I'm hesitant as I would not be able to go anywhere if the car is bricked. Ideally I would like to change the fuses in the gen 2 charger to avoid messing with everything else. Also I was under the impression that the charger will have to be programmed as master no?
I spent countless hours searching on how to replace the fuses in the gen 2 charger, however I could not find anything, even though everyone says you could (including dbldwn02). To add to the frustration I have seen a gen 2 open and all is glued in, was not sure what could be done or where the fuses were. Also searched for a place to do it for me but couldn't find anything in Spain.

Anyone could offer advice please?
Thanks!
I want to eu conversion my onboard chargers. What that done on your var when you moved to Spain?

I have a us spec 2013 and i want to Install dual 3 Phase gen 2 chargers. You have any god advises ?

So we figured out what was wrong together with the independent Tesla engineer which I called to clear airbag module, TAS module and reprogram region + CCS.

Turned out I made a simple mistake with MCU. I wanted to get the car as close as possible to EU specs myself so I found tesla part called: micro SD card - pre loaded maps Europe and installed it in my MCU while doing modem swap to EU one. Big mistake as the one I installed was 16 GB and my MCU required 8 GB card plus it is not only maps but MCU internal storage.

After swapping micro SD back to US card charger got redeployed without problems. The guy changed the region and car config to EU. After that car got newest update and in service mode you have option to retrofit CCS yourself thru service menu.

Now I'm fighting in finding electronic for rear tailight that would separate brake light from blinker.

• Informative
Reactions: brainhouston
im in los angeles. is there anyone that can install this on my 2018 model s? Tesla confirmed the charger needs to be replaced (only charging at 24v)
I assume you mean 24amps.

There aren't very many shops that work on the Tesla high voltage system. You'll be lucky to find one. Also, they would have to be able to order a new charger from Tesla since there aren't any aftermarket chargers available.

Best for you to just get a quote from Tesla Service directly. Probably about $3k. I'd rather live with 24amp level 2 charging, over spending $3000.

Charger on S is under the back seat
Its easy to replace n i'm sure there's youtube videos how to do it..
After swap u should just be able to re-deploy software from Service screen
Plenty of used chargers on eBay
Page 1 of this thread is a complete how to. But if someone doesn't know the difference between amps and volts, it may be best to leave it to the experts.

anyone in los angeles can help me repalce the on baord charger in my 2017 model s? same issue and dont want to pay tesla $3k
I'm the one who wrote the DIY. Sorry...not in LA. Just curious though, did you get a quote from them? I'm wondering if they changed their pricing considering this is happening more than it should be. Considering it's such a critical part of the car. I have a friend who got Tesla to cover it under drive-train warranty but he had to small claims them.

im in los angeles. is there anyone that can install this on my 2018 model s? Tesla confirmed the charger needs to be replaced (only charging at 24v)
It's really an easy job - I already took the OCB out twice ;) second time took me only 1-2 hours. I can guide you with step by step. Also you can view tesla workshop manuals for free and it's well described there. And I have charger that I took out of my car which is 48.

I assume you mean 24amps.

There aren't very many shops that work on the Tesla high voltage system. You'll be lucky to find one. Also, they would have to be able to order a new charger from Tesla since there aren't any aftermarket chargers available.

Best for you to just get a quote from Tesla Service directly. Probably about $3k. I'd rather live with 24amp level 2 charging, over spending $3000.
I have an aftermarket charger I took out of my car to switch it to EU car ;) and I've seen quite a few on ebay.