Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Abbotsford BC to Portal AZ.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just drove my 2022 TM3 RWD 2032 miles to our winter home in Portal AZ. We averaged 267wh/mile over the entire 4 day trip with ~90% being freeway driving, mostly at over 75mph. we had about 17 DCFC charging stops including 5 at EA DCFCs and the rest at Superchargers. Charging at EA was problematic and we never found a fully working 350kw charger. The only one we got to work only gave a 30kwh charge rate. The 150kw chargers worked ok. The EA station at the Benson AZ Walmart was our last DCFC of the trip: It was a 150 KW charger and we charged to 100% whilst shopping (just as well as the Grid went down 4 hours after we arrived at our house) for groceries - the LFP M3 charges incredibly fast especially at a high SOC. TSCs were flawless and we hit a peak 171 kw charge rate at several of the V3 SCs. One hotel gave us a free L2 charge, but another (Best Western Plus Foothills Yuma AZ) tried to charge us $25!, or about $1/kw, I said no thanks.

I just drove my 2022 TM3 RWD 2032 miles to our winter home in Portal AZ. We averaged 267wh/mile over the entire 4 day trip with ~90% being freeway driving, mostly at over 75mph. we had about 17 DCFC charging stops including 5 at EA DCFCs and the rest at Superchargers. Charging at EA was problematic and we never found a fully working 350kw charger. The only one we got to work only gave a 30kwh charge rate. The 150kw chargers worked ok. The EA station at the Benson AZ Walmart was our last DCFC of the trip: It was a 150 KW charger and we charged to 100% whilst shopping (just as well as the Grid went down 4 hours after we arrived at our house) for groceries - the LFP M3 charges incredibly fast especially at a high SOC. TSCs were flawless and we hit a peak 171 kw charge rate at several of the V3 SCs. One hotel gave us a free L2 charge, but another (Best Western Plus Foothills Yuma AZ) tried to charge us $25!, or about $1/kw, I said no thanks.
how many days and location of night halts and charging stops. I have a plan ( but right now its just a plan) to do a trip from California all the way up to Banff via Glacier National Park ?

how many days and location of night halts and charging stops. I have a plan ( but right now its just a plan) to do a trip from California all the way up to Banff via Glacier National Park ?
We spent nights in Yreka, Morro Bay, Yuma, so 4 days and 3 nights on the road. We mainly used TSCs but also EA chargers at the Woodburn OR Outlet Mall, Yreka Walmart, the Stockton Walmart EA station, Firebaugh Shell (barely functional but got 30kwh peak rate) and Walmart in Benson AZ. The TSC network is more than sufficient for trips up to Prince George in BC and along the TransCanada (Hwy 1), but BC has a rapidly expanding network of CCS1 DCFCs by BC Hydro, Electrify Canada, FLO, EVGO and PetroCanada so make sure you install the Canadian apps on your cellphone and make sure you have a US-Canada data and cellular plan (Cricket works extremely well - for less than $100 you can get an Android phone and a months worth of a no contract unlimited data US-Canada cell plan). Plugshare is a must and a ABRP. You should be able to tour Banff via Glacier N. P. Check it out with Plugshare.

See my comments about using CCS1 chargers in BC: