Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ability to Tune to HD stations vanished with latest update - Software Bug? Anyone else noticed this issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FM tuner used to be able to tune to HD1, 2 and 3 versions of FM stations. This feature vanished with the latest software update 2 weeks ago. After the update I now have no ability to tune to HD FM stations. Oddly, any HD stations saved in favorites I can still get back to, but only because it was saved in favorites. If I had not saved the HD station there is apparently no way to select or tune to the HD stations. Very weird. Car is a 2015 P90D, software version is v11.0 (2022.8.10.1 171f0fe61c20)

I contacted Tesla service on the issue. They sent a service tech out despite my comments to them "Are you sure you want to send a tech out on this issue? his seems like a software update issue" The tech showed up with a new tuner in hand (which I told him not to install) and spent an hour reloading stuff and scratching his head. No dice on a fix.

After he declared defeat on fixing my issue, I suggested we go check out the radio tuner the Model X he drove up in. We checked his tuner - same version of software, same issue. His radio also could not tune to HD stations, but still had a few HDs saved in favorites you could still get to. Clearly this is a bug in the latest update.

Anyone else have this issue? Any news when Tesla might fix it? Below are screen shots of the current lack of HD selections, and a screen shot of an older Tesla that still has the HD tuning buttons that have now vanished with the latest update.

If you have not already updated and you use the HD stations - Make sure you add to favorites so you can get to them later after the update!

Old Screen - HD Tune buttons available
Old Screen HD Buttons.jpg

New Screen after update - No buttons to get to HD stations
NEw Screen HD Buttons.jpg

Does the service team have a way to report software bugs? If you haven't already tried, there's service-follow-up messaging, also support chat on the Tesla website. I'd love to know if any of these channels are effective for bugs.

Ideally the software team would fix the bug and add a regression test case to catch it if it happens again.

(Nice to see that KROQ is still around!)

Reactions: Falcon73
Upvote 0
FM tuner used to be able to tune to HD1, 2 and 3 versions of FM stations. This feature vanished with the latest software update 2 weeks ago. After the update I now have no ability to tune to HD FM stations. Oddly, any HD stations saved in favorites I can still get back to, but only because it was saved in favorites. If I had not saved the HD station there is apparently no way to select or tune to the HD stations. Very weird. Car is a 2015 P90D, software version is v11.0 (2022.8.10.1 171f0fe61c20)

I contacted Tesla service on the issue. They sent a service tech out despite my comments to them "Are you sure you want to send a tech out on this issue? his seems like a software update issue" The tech showed up with a new tuner in hand (which I told him not to install) and spent an hour reloading stuff and scratching his head. No dice on a fix.

After he declared defeat on fixing my issue, I suggested we go check out the radio tuner the Model X he drove up in. We checked his tuner - same version of software, same issue. His radio also could not tune to HD stations, but still had a few HDs saved in favorites you could still get to. Clearly this is a bug in the latest update.

Anyone else have this issue? Any news when Tesla might fix it? Below are screen shots of the current lack of HD selections, and a screen shot of an older Tesla that still has the HD tuning buttons that have now vanished with the latest update.

If you have not already updated and you use the HD stations - Make sure you add to favorites so you can get to them later after the update!

View attachment 830681

View attachment 830682
I have the same issue with HD Radio since the latest software update installed in my 2017 Model S 75D.

I was not looking to have a technician come out but I reported the problem to Tesla Service and while I was not looking to have a technician come out, they sent one anyway -- he is actually here as I type this message.

So far he's been unable to get it to work either and suggested Tesla intentionally remove the feature in this release. I disagreed and told him it must be a bug since Tesla would be required to provide a notification of this type of change in the software release notes. I can confirm there is no mention of any change to FM radio, or HD for the latest version. I have asked the technician to report the bug.

@Urgent007 since you are still able to access the additional HD stations with your saved "Favorites", I am further convinced this is a UI bug.

While TuneIn app appears to be an option to access the missing HD stations, in my experience it's not reliable so I am hoping we'll see the return of FM HD features soon.

Upvote 0
It's the same here in Europe. We can not anymore see if we are in FM or DAB radio!!! Signal quality réception icône disaper as well !! It's totally a scame for such expencive car !!! If this continue like that I will chant to an other car... I can't accept that. It look like a really cheap user interface.

Reactions: moa999
Upvote 0

View attachment 830681

View attachment 830682

I'm having the same problem. It really sucks and is definitely a software issue that occurred with the July push.

Upvote 0
Do you access those stations via Internet streaming? I don't see an AM radio selection, let alone HD options for them.
Before the software update many FM stations had HD channel options. For example one of the FM stations has HD1 and an HD2. I could touch HD2 and the HD2 was an AM station I would listen to for sports radio. Some HD alternate stations were just other FM stations, but some were AM stations.

Upvote 0
Before the software update many FM stations had HD channel options. For example one of the FM stations has HD1 and an HD2. I could touch HD2 and the HD2 was an AM station I would listen to for sports radio. Some HD alternate stations were just other FM stations, but some were AM stations.
It sounds like those were AM-fidelity sub-channels of the FM stations rather than stations in the AM frequency band.

If your car doesn't list the "HD" sub-channels like in this screenshot, then maybe it's a hardware problem or maybe it needs a deeper reboot. Try Power Off and wait a few minutes? Or changing the wheel configuration size then back?

Tesla FM stations.jpg

Upvote 0
It sounds like those were AM-fidelity sub-channels of the FM stations rather than stations in the AM frequency band.

If your car doesn't list the "HD" sub-channels like in this screenshot, then maybe it's a hardware problem or maybe it needs a deeper reboot. Try Power Off and wait a few minutes? Or changing the wheel configuration size then back?

View attachment 843222

Upvote 0
@Andymi Interesting!

Yours has a larger cover photo with a signal strength indicator, much more width for metadata [long wanted], no "HD" indicators except in the metadata section, no alternative HD sub-channels, and no "Stations" list.

Is that related to portrait vs. landscape screens?

(Does Tesla test their software releases over the range of models and years?)

• Informative
Upvote 0
@Andymi Interesting!

Yours has a larger cover photo with a signal strength indicator, much more width for metadata [long wanted], no "HD" indicators except in the metadata section, no alternative HD sub-channels, and no "Stations" list.

Is that related to portrait vs. landscape screens?

(Does Tesla test their software releases over the range of models and years?)
I know. Really strange that the HD’s went away. Just a very faint HD indicator to the right of the Direct Tune but it did not come out in the picture.

Upvote 0
I just got back from Tesla service to fix this issue. The service tech was clueless about HD Radio. He had no idea of what I was talking about when I mentioned channels, HD1 and HD2. He did confirm that it was taken out in a SW update, with no reason. He also told me that FM radio is no longer included. (I get the feeling the tech is of a generation that considers FM radio the same as 8 track tapes.). They really need to bring there service techs up to speed on this issue. They should of told me in one of the multiple pre appointment messages, that HD radio got taken out a SW update, and there is no point in wasting anymore time on it.

Upvote 0
... that HD radio got taken out a SW update, and there is no point in wasting anymore time on it.
Is that specific to portrait screen cars?

2022.24.6 improved the FM display in Model 3. Compare post #11 to this new photo. They restored the radio frequency and signal strength info -- and misapplied the FM icon to USB recents.

Attachments

• PXL_20220910_021713099.jpg
    PXL_20220910_021713099.jpg
    777.2 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 0
Likely related since this happened right after the update spoke of here. No longer see station numbers (when radio is reduced on screen) or song/singer listed. I really appreciated those features. I assumed it was part of the premium package I pay monthly for. And boom, just like that, it’s gone. Frustrating driving a computer around. Do Tesla software engineers consult users on any of these changes. Wish they’d be open to feedback. There’s other parts of the screen I find annoying.

Upvote 0