Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to buy used 2018 Model 3 Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any particular reason you are targetting a 2018 car with 68k miles from tesla (which likely includes FSD) instead of a new model 3? what is the difference in price between a brand new one and this car you are looking at?

I have a 2018 Model 3 performance (with 29k miles), and like my car (and actually like what FSD offers at the price I paid for it then), but with the used car prices being how they are right now, struggle to see where a used one would actually be worth it.

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt
So the reason for the preowned, selling for $48,100.00 from Tesla, comes with all the options including full self driving. The new one is at around $60k. The finance was just too much and I thought about leasing but to put $5k down and not have any equity at the end of 3 years with a mileage cap doesn’t seem right to me, plus they do not permit buying out the lease at the end.

• Helpful
M3 LR is like $51k. You're considering paying almost the same for a 3 year old one with SEVENTY THOUSAND MILES on it.

There's really no such thing as "fully loaded" with a Tesla, because there aren't many add-ons. FSD is the only thing, but it's not even real.

I would highly recommend just buying an LR new.

Reactions: CarlThompson
So the reason for the preowned, selling for $48,100.00 from Tesla, comes with all the options including full self driving. The new one is at around $60k. The finance was just too much and I thought about leasing but to put $5k down and not have any equity at the end of 3 years with a mileage cap doesn’t seem right to me, plus they do not permit buying out the lease at the end.

Brand new, in grey or white, without FSD is with 18 inch wheels is 50,990 (+1200 destination). FSD can be subscribed to for $200 a month if you want to try it, and then you can buy it after the fact if you want, after subscribing to it and seeing if you like it / would use it.

Your choice is between:

1. brand new car, with a brand new battery, a heat pump, a new media screen processor, and several other small refinements = 50,990 + 1200 destination charge.

or

2. a 3+ year old car, with 68k miles on it, that has FSD for 48,990.

Even as someone who likes FSD (me), I would not buy 3 year old car with 68k miles for only $3200 difference in price.

If one is on a budget, FSD should not be purchased nor factored into the price... and this is from someone who has FSD on their model 3, and is not "down on it" like a lot of people are. As a note, most people who like FSD are "over" talking about it on this website, so mostly you will get people telling you "its not worth it".

What I am saying is, I am not one of those people, but even with that, I would say if someone is on a budget, that FSD should be left off a tesla purchase, especially because you can subscribe to it and the car comes with the same hardware either way.

I dont mind waiting, I have a vehicle now along with my wife’s SUV and my daughters SUV I also pay for. I’ll run the numbers again minus the 12k FSD add and see where I land. I’m doing private funding through BOA and their rates have been better then Tesla’s top tier rates for financing, at least for me. I’m glad I came on this board. Hopefully I can transfer my $500 non-refundable deposit to another vehicle with them.

• Informative
Brand new, in grey or white, without FSD is with 18 inch wheels is 50,990 (+1200 destination). FSD can be subscribed to for $200 a month if you want to try it, and then you can buy it after the fact if you want, after subscribing to it and seeing if you like it / would use it.

Your choice is between:

1. brand new car, with a brand new battery, a heat pump, a new media screen processor, and several other small refinements = 50,990 + 1200 destination charge.

or

2. a 3+ year old car, with 68k miles on it, that has FSD for 48,990.

Even as someone who likes FSD (me), I would not buy 3 year old car with 68k miles for only $3200 difference in price.

If one is on a budget, FSD should not be purchased nor factored into the price... and this is from someone who has FSD on their model 3, and is not "down on it" like a lot of people are. As a note, most people who like FSD are "over" talking about it on this website, so mostly you will get people telling you "its not worth it".

What I am saying is, I am not one of those people, but even with that, I would say if someone is on a budget, that FSD should be left off a tesla purchase, especially because you can subscribe to it and the car comes with the same hardware either way.
I cant thank you enough for reading and responding to my question, I 100% appreciate it. I just may make that change. I cant see Tesla giving me garbage for switching from a used vehicle to a new one.

• Informative
I cant see Tesla giving me garbage for switching from a used vehicle to a new one.

Hopefully not (but I dont know that for a fact, lol) You are likely looking at near the end of march for a new model 3 I would think.

To be clear, its not that I think the used one is a "bad car", I just think that, with the used car market the way it is right now, all used cars (including teslas) are pretty severely overpriced. If your question was the same car you were asking about or a new one, and the price on the car you were asking about was 10-12k cheaper, with FSD, that would be a decent discussion, I think.

For a 3k difference, if one can wait, a new one wins out pretty handily.

• Helpful
Hopefully not (but I dont know that for a fact, lol) You are likely looking at near the end of march for a new model 3 I would think.

To be clear, its not that I think the used one is a "bad car", I just think that, with the used car market the way it is right now, all used cars (including teslas) are pretty severely overpriced. If your question was the same car you were asking about or a new one, and the price on the car you were asking about was 10-12k cheaper, with FSD, that would be a decent discussion, I think.

For a 3k difference, if one can wait, a new one wins out pretty handily.
The monthly finance is within $30.00 to the new one. I didnt realize it defaults to the black with was an up charge and the 19” wheels. That minus the FSD puts me where I want to be. If the FSD becomes a reality I will gladly pay for that feature.
I will keep you posted on what Tesla says about my switch. Reality is I haven’t signed anything yet so the deal isnt done. I’ll gladly wait 8 weeks if needed for new.

About to buy a 2018 Model 3 Long Range loaded w 68,000 miles from Tesla. Anybody think that’s a bad move given your experience?
I have a 2018 Model 3 Performance. Have driven it 63,000 miles. Has been a fantastic car. Would be nice if the car you are looking it was garage kept and from a non winter weather state. If you need tips: watch out for pot holes, turn a little wider than you use to in your other car to avoid hitting curbs and rim rash, charge from 20% to 50/60/70/80% every day. 100% ok but drive it down immediately don't let it sit, replace the 12V battery with the new lithium 12V when needed, keep a set of jack pucks, a wall connector/cable and a J-1772 adaptor in your trunk or trunk just in case, wipe the seats off with unscented baby wipes, enjoy mobile ranger service most are good. 👍

I have a 2018 Model 3 Performance. Have driven it 63,000 miles. Has been a fantastic car. Would be nice if the car you are looking it was garage kept and from a non winter weather state. If you need tips: watch out for pot holes, turn a little wider than you use to in your other car to avoid hitting curbs and rim rash, charge from 20% to 50/60/70/80% every day. 100% ok but drive it down immediately don't let it sit, replace the 12V battery with the new lithium 12V when needed, keep a set of jack pucks, a wall connector/cable and a J-1772 adaptor in your trunk or trunk just in case, wipe the seats off with unscented baby wipes, enjoy mobile ranger service most are good. 👍
Wow, that is great information, thank you for sharing. I think I just made myself a friend!! Amazing information, thank you!!!

Reactions: jjrandorin
Wow, that is great information, thank you for sharing. I think I just made myself a friend!! Amazing information, thank you!!!
So get this, Tesla is telling me that that my $500 deposit is non-transferrable to another vehicle of theirs. If I switch, I lose it and have to pay it again.
Are they that good that they cant tread customers like this? Just wondering what this turns into once I’m locked in for my finance for a few years.

If you have a tesla store by you, I would recommend driving down to it and asking someone in person to see if they can help you. No idea if they can, but they may be able to due something in person that a call center employee either cant, or wont.

That’s a great idea, thank you. There is a store in the town right next to me.
So I went to the Tesla dealership today and got the same response, they cant transfer a deposit from a pre-owned vehicle to a new vehicle, even though I’m keeping my business with them. Are these cars that smart that their feelings get hurt when someone decides to pass on one? I keep saying it’s only $500 but the principle again is what gets me.
The car was pretty darn sharp though having a chance to play around in it for a little.