Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC Passenger side auto on/off feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody else thinks this new feature should be on by default instead of off. I know it's a way to save battery but in hot states I need all the AC I can have. Having the passenger blowing cold air cools the cabin a lot faster and maintains temperature more effective (I think, I feel). Not to mention if you want to cool the cabin remotely from the app.
Anyway I wish it would be on all the time and a button to turn it off like the back vents.

Does anybody else thinks this new feature should be on by default instead of off. I know it's a way to save battery but in hot states I need all the AC I can have. Having the passenger blowing cold air cools the cabin a lot faster and maintains temperature more effective (I think, I feel). Not to mention if you want to cool the cabin remotely from the app.
Anyway I wish it would be on all the time and a button to turn it off like the back vents.

I agree with you. The only workaround is once you get inside your car you can hit the climate icon and then drag your fingers on the screen for the passenger vents. They turn back on and stay on for the duration of your drive.

This is still way over complicated. Why not simply have an on/off switch for ANY of the vents? This automatic on/off is just over-engineering. I also found myself the other day manually turning the passenger vents on because it is over 100 degrees where I live, and I needed the extra air flow. But with my spouse in the car, she wants the vents turned off, and I simply can't do that still, which I feel is unacceptable.

have a new Model S long range and absolutely hate what they have done with the A/C. Not only is it a huge change not to have vents blowing at you and only indirectly, it is a nuisance to have to turn the passenger side on each and every time you get into the car. Worse, the app climate control can only turn the driver side on (even though the graphic says both sides are on) so it’s max 50% on. As a result, pre-cooling the car never occurs, no matter how long it runs. This has caused my effective battery range to drop by 30% because I am afraid to ever let the car heat up, because the cool down takes so long, so I leave it on for meetings lasting up to 4 hours.

This is my 4th Model S and I will never buy another one if these changes sacrificing comfort for so-called efficiency are the new direction. Was set to buy another S for my wife, but now will have to get an Audi.

Reactions: Deutsch100
have a new Model S long range and absolutely hate what they have done with the A/C. Not only is it a huge change not to have vents blowing at you and only indirectly, it is a nuisance to have to turn the passenger side on each and every time you get into the car. Worse, the app climate control can only turn the driver side on (even though the graphic says both sides are on) so it’s max 50% on. As a result, pre-cooling the car never occurs, no matter how long it runs. This has caused my effective battery range to drop by 30% because I am afraid to ever let the car heat up, because the cool down takes so long, so I leave it on for meetings lasting up to 4 hours.

This is my 4th Model S and I will never buy another one if these changes sacrificing comfort for so-called efficiency are the new direction. Was set to buy another S for my wife, but now will have to get an Audi.
You posted in a Model Y - User Interface forum. I understand you have owned Model S vehicles but perhaps it is time to re-read the Model S Owners Manual. The HVAC system has been sufficiently changed that it requires studying the manual to get the best performance from the system. You can aim the air flow from the dash board vents (you can even split the air flow from the dash vent into two separate streams for the Driver, also two air streams for the Passenger.)