Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceptable repair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,
I recently brought my model 3 performance in to a service center in Berkeley with a few concerns.

One concern was that there is a plastic panel that is above where the drivers knee or shin would be. it runs left to right and is about 4” x 20”. this plastic piece was popping out a little, like the panel wasnt clipped in all the way. I have not done anything to the car and its not noticeable unless you vacuum the car and are down low. I asked the service center if they could fix it as I believed it to be something Tesla should warranty. There seemed to be a clip that was bent or missing. They rescheduled due to the part not being on hand. when they did repair the panel, it looked ok. recently, its been warm out and the panel popped out again. Now that I can see into the panel I see that the service person used some black silicon and squished the panel up, There also appears to be some crusty white material (like superglue) where a clip is bent.

Is this really the acceptable way to fix the problem? Am I being unreasonable to expect a better repair/replacement? I have pictures and a video and since its late here, I thought I should hold off posting them until the service center had a chance to respond tomorrow. Any advice, or should I lower my expectations?

Hello All,
I recently brought my model 3 performance in to a service center in Berkeley with a few concerns.

One concern was that there is a plastic panel that is above where the drivers knee or shin would be. it runs left to right and is about 4” x 20”. this plastic piece was popping out a little, like the panel wasnt clipped in all the way. I have not done anything to the car and its not noticeable unless you vacuum the car and are down low. I asked the service center if they could fix it as I believed it to be something Tesla should warranty. There seemed to be a clip that was bent or missing. They rescheduled due to the part not being on hand. when they did repair the panel, it looked ok. recently, its been warm out and the panel popped out again. Now that I can see into the panel I see that the service person used some black silicon and squished the panel up, There also appears to be some crusty white material (like superglue) where a clip is bent.

Is this really the acceptable way to fix the problem? Am I being unreasonable to expect a better repair/replacement? I have pictures and a video and since its late here, I thought I should hold off posting them until the service center had a chance to respond tomorrow. Any advice, or should I lower my expectations?
If you are posting here questioning if it's ok, then I would have to guess that it is in fact not ok with you and you should subsequently take it back to them. Do you have pictures???

Yes I have pictures and video. I am not ok with this repair. I guess what I’m trying to gauge is if that is a reasonable repair option for Tesla, on a 5 month old vehicle and if I want anything better find somewhere else?

Yes I have pictures and video. I am not ok with this repair. I guess what I’m trying to gauge is if that is a reasonable repair option for Tesla, on a 5 month old vehicle and if I want anything better find somewhere else?
If you question it then it's not good enough. I know I would look at that everyday and want it fixed. As far as I know from what you describe it should be covered, especially if they should have replaced a clip and instead fixed it with sealant. That is a temp fix, as in to get you off the lot. Make then fix it like it should be fixed.