Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear interior deck shelf design change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had the rear wiring harness recall performed (which I immediately regretted having done) on my 2018 M3. The wiring harness required pulling apart most of the rear interior panels by the mobile service technician, and during this process several of the retention clips and brackets were broken (happened to witness it happening) along with my rear deck shelf getting a couple scratches in it. I decided to follow-up with the service center, and they were very friendly and agreed to attempt to fix everything.

I just had my follow-up appointment in which they replaced some broken clips, side bolster, and rear interior deck shelf. I am just now realizing that the rear interior deck shelf no longer has a continuous mesh segment that aligns with a cutout in the trunk. It also seems the new design didn't have the same support/attachment locations as the old, as I see tape filler in various places whenever I open my trunk. Does anyone know the purpose of the trunk cutout, and what I am giving up now by having this revised design with no mesh? I am inclined to think it has to do with the subwoofer acoustics or something similar.

Cutout in the trunk area (can see some of the tape they added to the shelf):
1702141150249.jpeg

Example of tape:
1702141169364.jpeg

Previously, there was a mesh area across the entire rear, now there's just the two square segments:
1702141194573.jpeg

Also, when I got the car back this second time, it was clear the side bolster wasn't inserted properly (and the design may have been changed slightly as well):
1702141206348.jpeg

The door wouldn't even close without making contact with the bolster:
1702141213883.jpeg

Some additional wear/scuff marks and interior trim gapping is present from the latest appointment, and I'm afraid to take it back out of fear of what new damage gets added the next time.

Pillar trim piece has some fraying on corner, along with some tooling marks on the plastic piece (and more of a visible gap):
1702141226185.jpeg

1702141238890.jpeg

I was able to see they didn't get one of the hooks for the bolster lined up right, so I fiddled with it and was able to get it to mostly clip in (still didn't line up perfectly). This whole experience has been time draining and an annoying source of frustration for me.

Is this normal, and I need to learn to be less OCD, or are my frustrations warranted?

Last edited:
FWIW, I don’t think you’re being OCD. If any shop/dealership breaks your car or gives it back to you in worse condition than you left it in, I think it’s 100% reasonable to expect them to make it right.

I mean, it’s not like they’re doing you a favor, they’re supposed to be professionals and are getting paid to do a job.

FWIW, I don’t think you’re being OCD. If any shop/dealership breaks your car or gives it back to you in worse condition than you left it in, I think it’s 100% reasonable to expect them to make it right.

I mean, it’s not like they’re doing you a favor, they’re supposed to be professionals and are getting paid to do a job.
Appreciate the affirmation, I'm finding it increasingly hard to gage the boundary between what's OCD/unreasonable expectations and what's a warranted concern. Unfortunately in this case, I think I need to cut my losses as it seems to just be getting worse each time. It's safe to say I think I'm done with the brand in regards to when my family needs to replace our other car though.

I got my rear harness replaced at home by a Tesla mechanic
and I just checked every detail that you shown, but I didn't noticed any issue.
The mesh covering the speaker shelf was not changed and the side door bolster seat panel is correctly in place.
I even had a nice chat with the Tesla mechanic about few Tesla topics, but I feel sorry about your experience.

Last edited:
I got my rear harness replaced at home by a Tesla mechanic
and I just checked every detail that you shown, but I didn't noticed any issue.
The mesh covering the speaker shelf was not changed and the side door bolster seat panel is correctly in place.
I even had a nice chat with the Tesla mechanic about few Tesla topics, but I feel sorry about your experience.
The rear deck lid change was after noticing a scratch on mine following the recall work and asking for them to fix it. Some additional interior trim pieces have a little more wear/scuffs on them now, so I think I will cut my losses and not have them touch it again.

The rear deck lid change was after noticing a scratch on mine following the recall work and asking for them to fix it. Some additional interior trim pieces have a little more wear/scuffs on them now, so I think I will cut my losses and not have them touch it again.

I cannot wait to see the new Highland to look at the rear speaker shelf which is not anymore part of the body in white.
I really whish that the rear trunk door had be replaced by a liftgate at this occasion.

Model 3 Highland - Body in White  - Speaker Platform Detail .jpg