Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accessories I'd like to see for the Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ChadS

Last tank of gas: March 2009
Jul 16, 2009
Redmond, WA
I don't have my roadster yet, so I just have to sit around and think about it.

Some of these I've seen examples of on other cars, some are not realistic, but here goes anyway:

1. A sliding hardtop. You reach up, undo a latch, and slide the hardtop back. (Yes, getting out of the car to put on/away the soft top IS a pain when you live in a place with really unpredictable weather). Ideally it would slide down out of the way, but I don't think there's room for that...maybe it can go straight back, and you can still see out the back window under it.

2. A replacement "wagon-style" trunk lid. Maybe it could mount and latch in the same places as the current trunk lid, but it sits up higher, so there's more height to the trunk and you can even put stuff on top of the battery (ideally things that don't retain a lot of heat :). It could have plastic or glass on the sides and back for visibility. Maybe the sliding hardtop can somehow motor itself under here.

3. A hitch. I'm sure somebody will use it to haul a generator, but I'm more thinking of a bike rack. Something really easy to remove (ha, ha) so I don't have to carry the extra weight around all the time.

4. Rather than a whole car cover, just a cockpit cover. So you can park it with the top off, and quickly pull it from (handwaving commences) some semi-permanently mounted position on the back or side, and secure it with a strap. It would reduce interior fading, keep out bugs, dust, leaves, and ideally even rain.

5. Photovoltaic body panels. Yes, I know you get very little power that way. It would still be cool.

6. Floor mats that are plush, stay put, and don't curl. And don't get pine needles stuck in them.

7. Inductive charging--install it on your garage floor so the car starts charging as soon as you park over it.

8. A CD that plays rumbling ICE noises. Better yet, something monitoring OBD to generate appropriate sounds for conditions...with a quick and easy shut-off button.

9. Motorized 30mm cannons. Always fun in heavy traffic.

10. Grab handles.

11. 110V outlet in the trunk (if it only works when the car is NOT running, that's fine). It should have a "Do Not Use With Hair Straighteners" sticker to keep my daughter away from it.

12. Remote control via cell. Get notified when charging is done (or stops!), put in to valet mode before giving key to spouse, listen over microphone, start the stereo, etc.

A lot of this stuff sounds better suited for the Sedan rather than a sports car. A power retractable hard top (PRHT) would be nice, but is impossible with the current Roadster design. Maybe on the next gen sports car that's based on the Model S platform.

A tonneau cover (#4) is a good idea and might already exist in the Elise aftermarket.

The floor mats (#6) in the Roadster kinda suck. The lack of anchor points is an Elise oversight/carryover that really should be modified.

I'm not sure about cannons (#9) but it should at least have Gatling guns.

Remote control via cell (#12) should actually be possible in the 2010 Roadsters with some firmware/software upgrades. As far as I know the Roadster 2's data connection is just used to send service type info to Tesla and to download firmware updates. But it could do much more. Would likely involve some server on Tesla's end acting an an intermediary, relaying information to the car, but is certainly doable.

Simply being able to check the car's state of charge via iPhone ap, website, or text message is so useful that it should be implemented as soon as possible if it hasn't been already.

Jump Leads - plus a dedicated 12V high current output from the PEM.

I don't know, but the opportunity to help out a stranded petrolhead with a flat battery has a certain appeal.

And it's an obvious question - why can't a battery electric car jump-start a traditional one?

...And it's an obvious question - why can't a battery electric car jump-start a traditional one?...

As you said, the dedicated 12V high current (20A+) output + Pins for the Jump Leads are missing.

meanwhile a Home brew solution:
650881AIV20FPufferkondensator.jpg

or a couple of:
s2_produktbild_gross.gif

Last edited:
I have read, that that kind of Portabel Jump Starter's failed in several test ....

The economically Point might be the problem, carrying the high current electronics, just because you may need i once a Year....

Even if TM build in a extra standart 12V Car Batterie (like suggested in another Thread)
that's around 15 kg to carry.

A solution with an "ultra-capacitor" or a Standart HiFi Capacitor, perhaps loadable on demand,
with less than 10 kg's, might be more economically .....

.... and you can use it for a much bigger amplifier :) ....

...but here goes anyway

1. A sliding hardtop.

The repair guys roll up the driver's side of the softtop for the duration to make getting in and out easier. A sliding hardtop would make that a great feature.

Saw a classic Ferrari Dino the other day. The roof was stored behind the seats.

2. A replacement "wagon-style" trunk lid.

Sounds like those pregnant BMW Z3 M coupes

3. A hitch.
There are Lotus Elise owners who have done this (they tow tire trailers to the track) and it would be cool for a bike rack. A must for the Model S.

6. Floor mats
One of those things that Tesla blew. Al and Ed's makes a set (for $500:confused:)

7. Inductive charging-
When the car is gone can we use the floor to play an electric football game? (you probably need to be 40+ to get this one)

8. A CD that plays rumbling ICE noises.
Both Al and Eds and Brabus have these. Lotus is working on something too. The only people who say this have not experienced the day to day joy of living with the silent turbine sounds that come from the behind you.

11. 110V outlet in the trunk
A 12V plug would be nice.

12. Remote control via cell.
Yes. Monitoring a minimum.

Or a portable version of one of these
http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2007/11/red_alert_tesla_coil.jpg

IT *IS* A TESLA, AFTER ALL.
And how many of you have thought that 90K volts might deter a theif? Prerecorded message: "Please do not touch the car. You WILL be electrocuted."
Give them one chance, based on the standard car alarm motions sensors, then all you have to do is pick up the inert bodies when you come out.
Looking doesn't hurt.
Personally, I can't find anything like this on the web, so it must be (rats!) illegal.
Or something.

Roblab