Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding A Flasher Or Strobe The Center Brake Light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading numerous stories and reports and even watching a few YT's about folks getting rear ended, it got me thinking about the brake lights on the M3; one small thin light on each side plus the high center light. I have a Saturn Sky roadster and I added a semi strobe flasher unit to the center brake light after I bought it new in 2008. It flashes 5 times and then stays on till you take your foot off the brake pedal. Here in California a center flashing brake light is legal so long as it is not a quick strobe light (like emergency vehicles have) and does not flash more than 5 times before going solid. I added this because the size of my Sky, a little over 12 feet long, and how low it sits, about 4 feet high.

I was wondering whether any M3 owner has added a flasher to their center brake light and how they accomplished the mod. The unit I have on my Sky isn't a straight flasher, as mentioned, it only flashes 5 times before going solid. I dunno, maybe the unit I have in my sky would work in my M3.

No need. Car already does it:

“If you are driving over 50 km/h and brake forecefully, the brake lights will now flash quickly to warn other drivers that your car is rapidly slowing down,” reads the description for Tesla’s Dynamic Brake Lights feature. In addition to flashing the tail lights in situations that call for unexpected heavy braking, the vehicle will also flash its hazard lights.

“If your car stops completely, the hazard warning lights will flash until you press the accelerator or manually press the hazard warning lights button to turn them off.”

Tesla pushes Dynamic Brake Lights that warns other drivers of rapid braking

No need. Car already does it:

“If you are driving over 50 km/h and brake forecefully, the brake lights will now flash quickly to warn other drivers that your car is rapidly slowing down,” reads the description for Tesla’s Dynamic Brake Lights feature. In addition to flashing the tail lights in situations that call for unexpected heavy braking, the vehicle will also flash its hazard lights.

“If your car stops completely, the hazard warning lights will flash until you press the accelerator or manually press the hazard warning lights button to turn them off.”

Tesla pushes Dynamic Brake Lights that warns other drivers of rapid braking

Oops.... just realized it hasn't hit US yet due to regulatory reasons. Move to EU and you are good.

@AnonNJ: Kinda... the dynamic braking flashing only comes on above 50km/30mph. The flashing brake light on my Sky comes on at any speed whenever I hit my brake pedal. I especially like it when I'm sitting in stop and go traffic and it "looks" like the person coming up on me is approaching a little too fast for my liking, I merely let off my brake pedal and hit it again so the flashing comes on.

I agree the brake lights on the 3 were a strange decision. Seems like it would be better if the "ring" part of the tails were the primary brake lights. I wonder if it's something Tesla could perhaps re-configure with software changes.

These flashers are indeed annoying if they come on at the lightest of pedal presses and when regen braking but there has to be some other solution too. Wonder how hard it would be to diy make the actual brake lights (the tiny bars) bigger or brighter.

These flashers are indeed annoying if they come on at the lightest of pedal presses and when regen braking but there has to be some other solution too. Wonder how hard it would be to diy make the actual brake lights (the tiny bars) bigger or brighter.
Yeah the solution is called a safe following distance. A flashy light is not going to help with $hitty drivers behind you.

Saw one of these flashing brake lights on the highway this morning. Whoever said they're annoying and they make the car look cheap was completely right. If they start flashing whenever the driver even touches the brakes, they make no sense and no added safety.

I do understand the need for flashers or brighter lights or something when smashing the brake in an emergency situation. For light braking these things do more bad than good.