Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding Range( batteries)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sprocket1

Oct 22, 2020
NY
Is anyone aware of any aftermarket firms who will add more batteries to the car? I have been following Can-Am RV's thread/video of installing a hitch to pull their Airstream trailer (6,000 lbs!) and while the car is perfectly capable, the issue becomes range. I am looking for a firm who has the expertise to wire in additional Tesla batteries which could be plugged in just to deal with these very long trips.
Tesla Model 3 Towing Airstream - Blog

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
Not aware of any company that is yet to offer something like that. Not that I'm an expert on the matter but.... I would hesitate, strike that, I would NOT trust any aftermarket company to wire in something that the factory hasn't already done or provided. There's so many things that can go wrong.

There are several services offering extended range packs and replacement modules for the Nissan Leaf (and vehicles that share that platform from Nissan/Renault) so it can only be a matter of time imo

I think the need is driven more with those as the platform was short range and the packs have degraded without thermal management though so the cars are outliving their batteries. If we hold onto this 3 and the rest of it holds up I'd consider it. I'm kind of hoping that the MIC pack options will be available to cheaply retrofit by the time we need it though.

The solution will be adding electric powertrain to campers with their own battery pack. That way, you can lower the consumption of the towing vehicle down to what it normally would be in regular driving conditions. So for a model Y for example, you can still tow and travel over 250 miles which will be plenty. That way you don't need to make any modifications to the towing vehicle.

Reactions: Atari2600
The car will not drive if it thinks it plugged in and charging. So,the company that comes up with adding batteries would have to override that software. And seeing how Tesla is,it wont allow it for the safety of the vehicle.
This wouldn't appear to the car to be charging. What these companies do for other cars is add modules to the existing battery pack.

Since SR+ and SR don't have the same number of modules as other Teslas, and MIC 3's use a completely different pack construction with prismatic rather than cylindrical cells the idea of adding modules and having the Tesla battery management system deal with it isn't unreasonable as it already does to some extent.

You wouldn't even need this if Tesla enabled car to grid charge capability. From what I understand, our vehicles are already capable of this. Even within Tesla community, the owners would then help each other by sharing their charge with stranded owners. Just plug Tesla to Tesla, just enough to get them to the next supercharger.