Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding tow package to early 2016 Model X 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered this a month ago and the sales person said that I could add the tow package after the fact for $1250. I checked underneath today and noticed that the rear crash bar does not have the Bosal receiver for the Bosal tow hitch. Does anyone know if Tesla service replaces the crash bar with the right one for towing as part of the $1250?

You should contact Tesla. Give them your serial # and they will advise you on possibilites and costs to have a factory hitch installed.

I believe there are even aftermarket hitches that some long distance haulers have installed. Claim it is even more robust than the Tesla set up.

In addition to the hitch, Tesla might be able to engage the tow package software. Adds capability and anti sway feature.

You should contact Tesla. Give them your serial # and they will advise you on possibilites and costs to have a factory hitch installed.

I believe there are even aftermarket hitches that some long distance haulers have installed. Claim it is even more robust than the Tesla set up.

In addition to the hitch, Tesla might be able to engage the tow package software. Adds capability and anti sway feature.

The draw-tite hardware looks much stronger than OEM but I'm afraid that if I install that, Tesla won't active the software...

I'll give the service center a call

It only took them an hour to perform the install and they charged $450+tax. However, when I get home and I plug in my trailer, there's no blue trailer indicator on the screen and no slider for Trailer Mode in the Driving section of the menu. The trailer lights all turn on, but is it safe to tow without Trailer Mode?

Yes it is safe. As another poster mentioned you might not get antisway control and electric trailer braking. I have a 2016 which came with the hardware and I have towed over a 1000 miles with a trailer. I ocassionally get the blue indicator but most often get an error message that I don't have the towing package. I do only tow modest loads.