Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adjusting Windshield Wiper Arm (Park Location)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone provide me some insight on adjusting where the wiper arm sits? It seems that mine sit high, causing the driver side wiper to overshoot the window and hit my side pillar and cause scratches. A coworker also mentioned that mine sit higher than his. I couldnt find any instructions in the manual, and would hate to have to wait for the first appt available by tesla service (12/26).

I’ve not seen a way to do that or even discussions on it.

Create the appointment for 2 weeks from now, putting a comment on the ticket that you”d really like a sooner appointment if possible because the car is getting damaged now. They review new appointment requests to see which are ones that can be shuffled off to the mobile technicians.

Good luck.

Mobile Service adjusted mine in the opposite direction, as they were going too low and hitting on the bottom. It was just one bolt that was loosened on the bottom of the arm that holds it to the motor. He loosened it, moved the arm, and tightened it. I would have done it myself if I knew that was all it took.

Can anyone provide me some insight on adjusting where the wiper arm sits? It seems that mine sit high, causing the driver side wiper to overshoot the window and hit my side pillar and cause scratches. A coworker also mentioned that mine sit higher than his. I couldnt find any instructions in the manual, and would hate to have to wait for the first appt available by tesla service (12/26).

Take a look on the glass itself. I believe the Model X has a mark that shows where the wiper is supposed to be aligned when it is at rest. I never checked my 3 as there hasn't been a need.

Usually you remove a nut, use a puller to remove the arm and adjust the arm on the splined shaft. Note the Model 3 has a warning about the wipers interfering with the frunk lid when opening. Be careful not to either bend the arm or damage the frunk lid.

Bumping this.

I'm trying to avoid service as they have "fixed" this awhile back and then the wiper blew off. I replaced at another SC.

But want to be able to adjust it myself. It overshoot like the other people said.

Anyone find any video or pics?

If anyone still needs an adjustment it’s super easy. When you open your frunk, there is a trim up near the windshield where you can just pull off. The first responder loop is under there. When the trim is removed you’ll see the bolts connecting the wiper arm to the motor. The bolt is a 17mm bolt. Just loosen them, move the arm where you need it to go and tighten and check if the wiper is in the proper position. If not move it some more. If you anyone needs pictures let me know and I’ll take a picture. I just adjusted mine on my X just now.

If anyone still needs an adjustment it’s super easy. When you open your frunk, there is a trim up near the windshield where you can just pull off. The first responder loop is under there. When the trim is removed you’ll see the bolts connecting the wiper arm to the motor. The bolt is a 17mm bolt. Just loosen them, move the arm where you need it to go and tighten and check if the wiper is in the proper position. If not move it some more. If you anyone needs pictures let me know and I’ll take a picture. I just adjusted mine on my X just now.

There are TWO bolts. From air to windshield. There is an outer bolt then wiper then another bolt.

Do you loosen and tighten the OUTER bolt only?

I read somewhere that torque is important. So tighten tight but not too tight? Is that reasonable?

Hi,
Removing the cover that accesses the first responder loop does absolutely not give you access to any wiper arm or wiper motor adjustment. Maybe on the Model X it does, but absolutely not on the Model 3

I just had my windshield replaced at safelite. Both of my wipers are not in place (where the glass marks are. Driver side is pretty close about 1/2 inch up, put passenger side is like 4 inches up. I can see it from the inside in rest position. I’d rather go back and ask the “experts” to do it.