Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner Tips and Tricks- Giving Back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All

I used this forum, FB, and Reddit to troubleshoot many new M3 issues which I wanted to share in case it may help you all. I have also posted pictures.

My M3 RWD LFP 2023 car buying was a last minute decision Dec 31 to avail tax credit and additional Tesla discount. So did use a referral link but did not check if I can split the credit with my friend to get a charger.

Car Pick Up in Seattle-
the car had just a basic (feels like) car wash as there was still dirt area near the tires. I did have them clean the dirt but was disappointed.

Interestingly- the service center I went later -Fife-oh man- the car prepped there for pick up were detailed with such attention, with the shiny new car look. It appears different Centers treat car hand off differently.

Service Center Selection for 100 miles/24 hour issue resolution - this was very very stressful. The Service Center (SC) have such bad reviews it is mind boggling. Eventually chose a center hour drive for me with some decent reviews in Fife.

1st Service- The experience was good as Service Advisor took 40 min to inspect car with me, adding more things than I asked. And super responsive to my messages, including please park car in place to avoid scratches.

The thing I did not like was them keeping car for two days, as total repair time was not more than few hours. And, getting a filthy 2019 M3 dirty inside and outside, strong musky water smell, backseats/tires creaking like crazy, and wipers streaking. If this car was a demo, I would have rated Tesla the worst car to buy. I did complain leading to a follow up door flush and paint service two weeks later me getting a super clean 2021 Tesla.

Car issues and resolution at Fife Service Center
Paint- saw a tiny white chip on door at pick up which was resolved

Panel - scratches on the plastic trim by driver door. I saw a tip on using polishing compound clear coat safe. This completely removed the scratches. I then told Service Center to not proceed with any repairs.

Panel-Gaps which seemed more than usual. These were inspected and communicated as within limits.

Backlights - these fogged in the rain and I was told this is normal.

Steering wheel and Wheel Alignment - I felt steering was not straight and it was harder to keep car on straight line. Also felt on FSD turns would have caused car to hit the curb. The SC diagnosed 3 wheel rods requiring alignment. This makes me think if left undiagnosed this would have caused my tires to wear out fast.

Brake squealing - whenever I would reverse, I would hear a squeal. The SC burnished the brakes to resolve the issue.

Seat Wrinkle - they fixed it by steaming.

Service Pick Up - paint damage- reading so many comments on damage noticed at pick up, I took with me a rinse-less spray and wipe (Girot). To my horror noticed a paint bubble size of a quarter right below the Tesla emblem on the front bonnet. SC pushed back that not their fault, made them see pictures they took when I dropped car and ones I took to determine paint defect to repair under goodwilll.

2nd Repair - kept car for two days and noticed they fixed all repairs in less than two hours.

Paint- fixed bubble.

Door flush - inspected and agreed driver door not set properly. They adjusted striker for a decent improvement but not great. This was game changing as before I heard some road noise from my side of windshield and considered it normal. After adjustment road noise went away but solve created a gap in window and car frame.

Follow up noise - the SC did not adjust molding trim and recalibrate window when adjustin door striker. This led to noise as if a window is open or door not closed properly (clapping, car noise becoming louder as it passes the point where there is gap). I saw the many comments and self resolved by 1) checking if trim in which window sits is set properly-it was not as my pressing led to clicks/pushing in as it fit in, 2) shimming by putting a thin piece of foam inside rubber molding corner of bottom window and door to push it out. I also pulled out the molding slightly to repress back in the frame, slightly tugging it towards side facing the door, and 3) recalibrating window. All noise is gone. In facts it feels eerily quiet when driving.

Car Care-I plan to DIY Ceramic coating and below are what I bought scanning all the content here.

1 gyeon bathe ph balanced
2 synthetic tire brushes - latamil 9 pcs
3 armor extreme all tire and wheel cleaner
4 kirkland ultra multi fibre towels
5 chemical guys mitten
6 gyeon iron remover
7 gyeon paint prep
8 rupes yellow pad DAxfine
9 optimum hyper polish
10 zota 3 inch rp 803 random orbital polisher
11 clear protection film front bumper - TW Wraps
12 mothers clay bar - tested on old car by kneading a quarter size thin clay and lubricant. No marring and you can feel contamination coming off. I used just two fingers to slide down to minimize pressure.
13 chemical guys interior cleaner
14 chemcial guys leather cleaner
15 gyeon one ceramic coating
16 girot spray and shine
17 Adam ceramic spray and wax
18 Armor All glass cleaner
19 McKees 37 N-914 Rinseless Wash
20 viking basket insert to trap dirt at bottom

Tips and Tricks
1) 15 pound pressure when using orbital
2) battery recalibrates to higher capacity if using mobile or level 2 charger. My super charger use in first few weeks took battery from 272 to 263 in 3 weeks (500 miles). Now 271.
3) Teslapucks - fit perfectly but smell.
4) led light with 5500 lumen required to see car scrtaches
5 you can use iphone automation to connect phone Bluetooth and hotspot as soon as you sit in car
6 Floor mats - Maysoo floor mats
7 tesla mud flaps - Fencario
IMG_2007.jpeg

Hope my info helps.

Attachments

• IMG_1847.jpeg
    IMG_1847.jpeg
    498.7 KB · Views: 20
I think most of us (especially if wanting a non-default color) likely ordered ours so it was never sitting on the lot for more than a few hours.

I eyeballed the car thoroughly, they showed me how to connect my phone, I grabbed the paperwork and drove off.

Two weeks later I realized they hadn't given me the credit card backup keys. They then gave me a hardtime about needing to set up replacements saying only certain people could do it that only work weekdays. 3 trips back and forth later (20 miles each way) i finally got them.

Last edited: