Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice for unusual charging situation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I would love advice if anyone has any wisdom regarding my situation.

I have been putting off reserving a model 3 due to our parking situation.
We live in an end terrace, our garage is at the other end of the terraces; five houses away, so to install a charger in the garage we would have to have a second supply installed and I have no idea how much this will cost.

We normally park in front of the house so a charger outside the house may be the best bet, a pavement does run in front of the house but then terminates so no one walks past our house.

The front garden is too small to turn into a driveway as there are rules on size; I don’t know if this could be appealed due to us being on the end.

My miles will be on average 60 a day so a waterproof outlet outside would be incredibly cheap and give me enough charge from a three pin plug.

Thank you in advance. Any help would be much appreciated.

Josh

I’m in a not so dissimilar situation - live in a terrace house, no off-street parking, front too small for a driveway - but have an MX on order. I have however been driving a PHEV for almost 5 years with about 70/30% battery/petrol consumption so figured I could go full EV without too much problem.

I’ve installed a 16A socket on my outside wall (very cheap to do) and use an EVSE and cable guard across the pavement during quiet hours (after 7pm) and never had any problems. I can normally guarantee a space outside if I move the car in the morning (when I’m not using it) when the early birds are out doing drop-offs or off to work and will charge later in the evening. With 16A I can get about 8-9kW in just over 2 hours which works out to be around 10-12mi/hr, so with the 100D I could probably get about 50-60% charged over night. It does and will require a bit or foresight but it has always felt good to drive using electric only.

Hopefully I won’t have to worry about this for too long as we plan on moving and a driveway will be on our requirements list.

Since you are end terrace and end of the street I wouldn’t worry about a cable on the pavement as long as you take care covering it and making people aware it is there (I’ll probably get shot down over this).

Put it this way I’ve seen some shocking charging situations around London that include running cables across the road, hanging over walls/pavement etc... it upsets me this kind of behaviour as it puts a bad name to those of us who want to do the right thing when we don’t have the provisions by local authorities to do so.

Reactions: theoceanwaves
Hey Josh sounds like you can still buy and install a wall charger outside your house and with a long enough cable maybe 10meters and a cable cover to protect the cable and not make it a trip hazard it will reach your car outside ? I've sent you a PM with my number if you want to chat more about the situation

Cable Covers, Cable Protectors & Ramps - The Ramp People
Thank you for your reply, I just read on the planning department website that a charger cant be installed within two meters of a highway, our garden is probably just under that in lengh but i havent measured it.
But a 13amp isn’t classed as a electric vehicle charging point so wouldn't need planning permission. So i think that may be the best bet for now.
Thanks for the code, I’ll take you up on it when the time comes

may not be significant but 13AMP is less efficient than 7kW, so electricity usage for charging will be somewhat more

One of the best bits about EV ownership is home-charging, so solving that would definitely be A Good Thing :)

Any chance you could charge at work instead? Company might like to install Workplace Charging, it helps their green credentials, and Tesla is generous (e.g. free Chargers), and there may be other grants - local council, or other. I've just had a quote for 10 chargers for the work car park, and there is a Government grant available for that which (in my case) is £5K

I’m in a not so dissimilar situation - live in a terrace house, no off-street parking, front too small for a driveway - but have an MX on order. I have however been driving a PHEV for almost 5 years with about 70/30% battery/petrol consumption so figured I could go full EV without too much problem.

I’ve installed a 16A socket on my outside wall (very cheap to do) and use an EVSE and cable guard across the pavement during quiet hours (after 7pm) and never had any problems. I can normally guarantee a space outside if I move the car in the morning (when I’m not using it) when the early birds are out doing drop-offs or off to work and will charge later in the evening. With 16A I can get about 8-9kW in just over 2 hours which works out to be around 10-12mi/hr, so with the 100D I could probably get about 50-60% charged over night. It does and will require a bit or foresight but it has always felt good to drive using electric only.

Hopefully I won’t have to worry about this for too long as we plan on moving and a driveway will be on our requirements list.

Since you are end terrace and end of the street I wouldn’t worry about a cable on the pavement as long as you take care covering it and making people aware it is there (I’ll probably get shot down over this).

Put it this way I’ve seen some shocking charging situations around London that include running cables across the road, hanging over walls/pavement etc... it upsets me this kind of behaviour as it puts a bad name to those of us who want to do the right thing when we don’t have the provisions by local authorities to do so.

Thank you for your input, I like the idea of a 16amp plug, it would meet my needs, it may be a little more expensive as our wiring is old, we dont have a consumer unit, just the old fuse type thing. And when I enquired a year ago about having a consumer unit fitted the electrician said he has to test the whole houses’ wiring as they are signing off on the whole thing, even if they do a small job.... but another electrician may not care lol.

Does an EVSE count as an electric vehicle charging point?
As the planning permission website states a charging point has to be 2 meters from a highway so this stops me enquiring into changing my ‘front garden’ (small area of gravel) being paved into a drive way.

But then again, will anyone ever notice amd measure how far it is? Doubtful.

have a chat with pod-point who install the home chargers and see if they have a better suggestion regarding the legalities :
Electric Vehicle Charging Solutions | Pod Point

Alternatively get a electrician to install a commando socket outside your house and use a dry box to store the tesla UMC and cabling, this will get you a slower rate of charge but should be fine if you want to charge overnight. Remember you are entitled to £500 installation of a wall charger if you buy and EV so this should fully cover the cost of a commando socket

will anyone ever notice amd measure how far it is?

Sounds like Jealous Neighbour, or similar, is the only likely trigger.

you are entitled to £500 installation of a wall charger

Although ... plenty of stories of grant-eligible installations being a lot more expensive than just getting your local Sparky to do it ... and it doesn't seem like the price increase is just the cost of them doing the Red Tape I'm sorry to say

may not be significant but 13AMP is less efficient than 7kW, so electricity usage for charging will be somewhat more

One of the best bits about EV ownership is home-charging, so solving that would definitely be A Good Thing :)

Any chance you could charge at work instead? Company might like to install Workplace Charging, it helps their green credentials, and Tesla is generous (e.g. free Chargers), and there may be other grants - local council, or other. I've just had a quote for 10 chargers for the work car park, and there is a Government grant available for that which (in my case) is £5K

My problem is I work in the community as a nurse so no fixed place of work, but I do visit a community centre three times a week so I could ask them.
And thats why i could never afford a model S or X. Nurses salary

have a chat with pod-point who install the home chargers and see if they have a better suggestion regarding the legalities :
Electric Vehicle Charging Solutions | Pod Point

Alternatively get a electrician to install a commando socket outside your house and use a dry box to store the tesla UMC and cabling, this will get you a slower rate of charge but should be fine if you want to charge overnight. Remember you are entitled to £500 installation of a wall charger if you buy and EV so this should fully cover the cost of a commando socket

I didn’t realise the grant could be used on a commando socket, this is brilliant news. Who would be the best person to install it, whoever tesla recommends?

Last edited:
I thought this was only applicable if you have off street parking? Maybe this has changed recently.

No, it is still a requirement.

...also it is for 75% of the cost, up to no more than £500 and it has to be used to install an approved charge point.

I don’t think there are any commando sockets on the approved list?

this is a great site

In addition to Zap Map I find PlugShare handy too. PlugShare (maybe Zap Map too?) has user comments, so can be helpful to read how often people have noted "Wasn't working today" ...

Technically the OP has off street parking even tho use the garage is at the end of the row of houses

hehehe ... I like your thinking, I'm going to offer you a job ... just got to figure out what problem I have that your skills will solve :cool:

Reactions: theoceanwaves
Thank you for your input, I like the idea of a 16amp plug, it would meet my needs, it may be a little more expensive as our wiring is old, we dont have a consumer unit, just the old fuse type thing. And when I enquired a year ago about having a consumer unit fitted the electrician said he has to test the whole houses’ wiring as they are signing off on the whole thing, even if they do a small job.... but another electrician may not care lol.

That's not quite accurate. Legally, any new work must be done to modern standards, and the new work must not leave the unchanged parts of the installation in any worse condition than they were before. It is not obligatory to bring the whole installation up to modern standards just as a result of touching one part of it. However, for the specific example of consumer unit changes, any competent electrician will test the whole installation first since it's quite common for old installations to have latent faults that would cause breakers to trip when a modern RCD-equipped consumer unit is fitted. If the new CU was just fitted without testing there's a significant risk of being stuck with no power until the faults can be traced and fixed.

IMO, it would be unwise to do this sort of higher-risk charging from a socket as part of your existing installation with no RCD protection. If you don't wish to upgrade the existing installation, one option is to have a new circuit for the EV charging taken directly from the supply after the meter - the new circuit having its own RCD protection to modern standards. This could apply to either a proper installation of a chargepoint or a circuit for a socket intended for charging.

Does an EVSE count as an electric vehicle charging point?
As the planning permission website states a charging point has to be 2 meters from a highway so this stops me enquiring into changing my ‘front garden’ (small area of gravel) being paved into a drive way.

By 'EVSE' you presumably mean a portable EVSE plugged into a socket of some sort (a normal wall-mounted charging point is also an 'EVSE'). The portable EVSE itself can't require planning permission as it isn't permanently installed. However, the socket into which you plug it could potentially be considered an 'electric vehicle charging point' - the wiring regulations certainly include 13A sockets and commando sockets as options for a "charging point".

OTOH, planning permission is only interested in what is on the outside of your house - if the socket/chargepoint is inside, then it's not relevant for planning permission. In my house for example, the chargepoint is installed on the inside face of the wall of the front porch and isn't visible from outside apart from the cable itself while in use.

The planning permission limit you are referring to is about 2m from a 'highway' - is your street actually a 'highway', or is it perhaps a private road within your development? OTOH, it also requires the area to be 'lawfully used for off-street parking' - can you lawfully park your car on the bit of gravel?

Another point is that given your awkward circumstances it would be desirable to have the fastest charging you can achieve, so as to minimise the amount of time you need to spend charging - maybe a 13A socket would be enough for your needs, but you would have to charge every night - get a 7kW chargepoint and it charges over 3 times faster, so you only need to charge twice a week.

I suspect that your original suggestion of a separate metered supply to your garage would be excessively expensive to install, and also incurs the standing charges thereafter. However, if there is any power up there then there may be scope for doing a deal with a neighbour to have it from his supply with a (cheap) private meter so you can account for the cost sensibly.

Alternatively, if the garages are detached from all of the houses and none have power in, getting one new supply to give light and power in all of the garages and split the cost between the owners might be feasible: we've done this at another location where there are 12 garages in a block well away from the houses. We got the DNO to provide a supply into one of the garages with a standard meter; a cable then runs along the back of the block into each garage where there's a private meter, lighting and sockets etc and we also provided security lighting outside. Two of the owners didn't want to take part, so they don't get any power; splitting the cost 10 ways made it affordable. This was actually done before EVs were a consideration - electric door openers was what swung it for several people, others wanted to keep a freezer or run power tools in their garage.

That's not quite accurate. Legally, any new work must be done to modern standards, and the new work must not leave the unchanged parts of the installation in any worse condition than they were before. It is not obligatory to bring the whole installation up to modern standards just as a result of touching one part of it. However, for the specific example of consumer unit changes, any competent electrician will test the whole installation first since it's quite common for old installations to have latent faults that would cause breakers to trip when a modern RCD-equipped consumer unit is fitted. If the new CU was just fitted without testing there's a significant risk of being stuck with no power until the faults can be traced and fixed.

IMO, it would be unwise to do this sort of higher-risk charging from a socket as part of your existing installation with no RCD protection. If you don't wish to upgrade the existing installation, one option is to have a new circuit for the EV charging taken directly from the supply after the meter - the new circuit having its own RCD protection to modern standards. This could apply to either a proper installation of a chargepoint or a circuit for a socket intended for charging.

By 'EVSE' you presumably mean a portable EVSE plugged into a socket of some sort (a normal wall-mounted charging point is also an 'EVSE'). The portable EVSE itself can't require planning permission as it isn't permanently installed. However, the socket into which you plug it could potentially be considered an 'electric vehicle charging point' - the wiring regulations certainly include 13A sockets and commando sockets as options for a "charging point".

OTOH, planning permission is only interested in what is on the outside of your house - if the socket/chargepoint is inside, then it's not relevant for planning permission. In my house for example, the chargepoint is installed on the inside face of the wall of the front porch and isn't visible from outside apart from the cable itself while in use.

The planning permission limit you are referring to is about 2m from a 'highway' - is your street actually a 'highway', or is it perhaps a private road within your development? OTOH, it also requires the area to be 'lawfully used for off-street parking' - can you lawfully park your car on the bit of gravel?

Another point is that given your awkward circumstances it would be desirable to have the fastest charging you can achieve, so as to minimise the amount of time you need to spend charging - maybe a 13A socket would be enough for your needs, but you would have to charge every night - get a 7kW chargepoint and it charges over 3 times faster, so you only need to charge twice a week.

I suspect that your original suggestion of a separate metered supply to your garage would be excessively expensive to install, and also incurs the standing charges thereafter. However, if there is any power up there then there may be scope for doing a deal with a neighbour to have it from his supply with a (cheap) private meter so you can account for the cost sensibly.

Alternatively, if the garages are detached from all of the houses and none have power in, getting one new supply to give light and power in all of the garages and split the cost between the owners might be feasible: we've done this at another location where there are 12 garages in a block well away from the houses. We got the DNO to provide a supply into one of the garages with a standard meter; a cable then runs along the back of the block into each garage where there's a private meter, lighting and sockets etc and we also provided security lighting outside. Two of the owners didn't want to take part, so they don't get any power; splitting the cost 10 ways made it affordable. This was actually done before EVs were a consideration - electric door openers was what swung it for several people, others wanted to keep a freezer or run power tools in their garage.

Thank you for this huge amount of information. Its given me a lot to think about.
I agree with you that if i have any charging added that a consumer unit and general wiring be updated. It needs to be safe.
I’m starting to consider that maybe i should just have a solution thats puts me on until we eventually move or the government gets a rocket up its arse and provides some solutions, as i said I wasn’t able to use the no off road parking scheme due to my useless garage.
The parking in front of the house isn’t allocated, its a main road, a village road. the gravel i was referring to is our tiny front garden which is too small to turn into parking.

I know a 7KW charger would be best, i would be able to charge when its still daylight but i don't think one would be aloud on the outside of our house, I’ve enquired with rolec but i might call round local electricians to see if any have any experience and get a quote for the wiring in the house done.

Your comments about powering the garage would be a dream but i know people have no interest in this unfortunately, my garage is next to the first, and the last house in the row owns this so he runs a cable into his, i think it just provides lighting, i don't think working out a deal with them with a meter would be ideal as the power coming into the garage looks to be home rigged rather than an official electrician job, as getting power from them did cross my mind. But it doesn't stop me asking.