Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice for unusual charging situation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also Arg, i never thought about the charger been in a porch. This is a nice idea. Next door has one but we don't.
What do you do when charging? Leave an outer door open or have something the cable can pass through like a window or even cat flap haha

Our porch currently doesn't have an outer door so it's not an issue, but others have done similar with cat-flap/letterbox arrangements or simply a notch in the doorframe.

Avoid Tesla approved electricians they will rip you off and I speak from experience.

I won’t mention names but I had two approved installers visit and quote, both wanted in excess of £300 to install a TWC on s that ontop of the £400 for the charger.

I did some shopping around found a local sparkle who charged me less than £100 to install.

Due to my odd setup my install was different in that I sourced, paid and installed my own cable all 50meters Of amounted cable the sparkle just connected one end to the consumer unit and the other to the TWC.

I was shocked when these so called approved installers wanted so much more, rip off, I think some see your getting a Tesla and they think it’s an excuse to charge you more

Avoid Tesla approved electricians they will rip you off and I speak from experience.

I won’t mention names but I had two approved installers visit and quote, both wanted in excess of £300 to install a TWC on s that ontop of the £400 for the charger.

I did some shopping around found a local sparkle who charged me less than £100 to install.

Due to my odd setup my install was different in that I sourced, paid and installed my own cable all 50meters Of amounted cable the sparkle just connected one end to the consumer unit and the other to the TWC.

I was shocked when these so called approved installers wanted so much more, rip off, I think some see your getting a Tesla and they think it’s an excuse to charge you more

I had a look at the approved installer websites today and i could tell. We’re paying for the fancy website for starters.
I’m just going to some local sparkys for some quotes.

Exactly what I did...ran 10m of cable from the consumer box to an indoor 32A DP switch. Drilled a whole in the wall to the outside, fed more cable to the switch, mounted a commando socket to the outside wall. Electrician came in and wired it all up within an hour.