Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on how handling a bad purchase experience for a brand new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was so excited to finally have a dream come true of getting a Tesla, but it has turned out to be a very unpleasant experience.

I purchased a new Model Y, which was a Long Range 7 seater with a tow package. I left the color at the default midnight silver, default wheels, default interior, etc., to save a little money and have less complications in the order.

I only owned it one day before all of the problems started. I discovered a piece of trim that is so warped that it was rubbing against the brake pedal, a seatbelt sensor that is constantly on, and during a drive a notification appeared that there was a problem with the charging and to disconnect and try again. Weird that it would come on while driving and not when we were actually charging. When we got home, sure enough, it wouldn’t charge.

Had to wait a week for the mobile tech to come out, and he wasn’t able to fix any of the issues, so I have to wait another week for an appointment at the actual shop. I have had to cancel two big trips now that we can’t drive the Tesla since it won’t charge, and Tesla said they only provide a loaner on the day of service.

This has gone past inconvenience to hardship, and I’m not sure what I can or should do. At this point I just want the vehicle I paid for, which is a new Tesla that works, and not one that has major electrical and other problems that require major repairs, and that I haven’t even been able to drive since I purchased it. I’m concerned about the longevity of this vehicle if it’s already had this many problems within the first few miles of driving it.

This is not common, so don't assume that it is a Tesla thing. Service can sometimes be a challenge, I'm sure that you'll see the complainers join the thread soon, but for most people, service works if you give it a chance.

Which seatbelt sensor is on? Is there anything in the seat?
What did the tech say?

As to charging, can you be a little more clear. What type of charger? Destination?, Supercharger? CCS? And yes, for a new user, not plugging in correctly isn't an uncommon thing. Did it start working eventually?

Is the car drivable?

Reactions: morbidz
I was so excited to finally have a dream come true of getting a Tesla, but it has turned out to be a very unpleasant experience.

I purchased a new Model Y, which was a Long Range 7 seater with a tow package. I left the color at the default midnight silver, default wheels, default interior, etc., to save a little money and have less complications in the order.

I only owned it one day before all of the problems started. I discovered a piece of trim that is so warped that it was rubbing against the brake pedal, a seatbelt sensor that is constantly on, and during a drive a notification appeared that there was a problem with the charging and to disconnect and try again. Weird that it would come on while driving and not when we were actually charging. When we got home, sure enough, it wouldn’t charge.

Had to wait a week for the mobile tech to come out, and he wasn’t able to fix any of the issues, so I have to wait another week for an appointment at the actual shop. I have had to cancel two big trips now that we can’t drive the Tesla since it won’t charge, and Tesla said they only provide a loaner on the day of service.

This has gone past inconvenience to hardship, and I’m not sure what I can or should do. At this point I just want the vehicle I paid for, which is a new Tesla that works, and not one that has major electrical and other problems that require major repairs, and that I haven’t even been able to drive since I purchased it. I’m concerned about the longevity of this vehicle if it’s already had this many problems within the first few miles of driving it.
Sorry you are dealing with this. Others have offered sound advice and asked some follow up questions.

My only comment is more of a cautionary tale for ANY new vehicle you get.

NEVER ever go on a long road trip with a brand new vehicle. ALWAYS wait until you have at least 500-750+ miles on it. Lots of *sugar* can happen on a newer vehicle. And most of those issues will be spotted early on. But it is not a good idea to do a long haul on a new vehicle.

Reactions: ewoodrick
Sorry you are dealing with this. Others have offered sound advice and asked some follow up questions.

My only comment is more of a cautionary tale for ANY new vehicle you get.

NEVER ever go on a long road trip with a brand new vehicle. ALWAYS wait until you have at least 500-750+ miles on it. Lots of *sugar* can happen on a newer vehicle. And most of those issues will be spotted early on. But it is not a good idea to do a long haul on a new vehicle.
Thanks for your reply and for that advice. This is actually the first new vehicle my family has ever owned, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. I’m wondering what any other dealership would have done and whether they would have just traded and given me another new car or at least put me in a rental. I’m sure that is already a big difference is that Tesla looks to provide a loaner so that you can still have the experience of driving a Tesla, while other dealerships would probably just have you rent whatever vehicle.

If it is indeed your first car, then I feel that I can safely say that you are probably expecting more than any car manufacturer would have given you.
No, they wouldn't just trade with a new car, that's why states created the Lemon laws, because dealers and manufacturers can be such a PITA to deal with.
And rental cars? That's a rarity. You may find them in some higher end vehicles dealers, but not at the most dealers.

And you didn't have to go through the obnoxious negotiation process where salespeople take your offer back "to the manager" And you end up spending hours on the process.

Cars are complicated and expensive pieces of equipment. Manufacturers try to keep failures down, but it's just not possible to get to 100%.