Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aerodynamic Wheel + Active Air Suspension vs extra 70 mile battery pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait, so is this a thread asking about the value of range extending options v. a bigger battery pack or a discussion of the supercharger network?

1) Battery pack is more expensive but will give you longer range in some situations and much more range in others. Anerodynamic improvement adds range when traveling at higher speeds but not at lower ones. Then again, if one is only planning on going low speeds then one will unlikely go many miles will probably not need a larger battery pack.

2) Supercharger access will be included for 85kwh packs, some extra charge for 60kwh packs and unavailable for 40kwh packs. TBD isn't about where the chargers will be but what it will cost to add it to the 60kwh pack.

Sorry Nigel, I'm trying to find where I got that statement. It came from Elon himself... but I'm having a hard time finding my source now. I'm still looking though, as I just know it wasn't my imagination or wishful thinking, nor did it come across as speculation.
Wondering if they scrubbed it. :wink:

No problem. Wouldn't be the first time someone quoted rumor as fact and maybe it was your turn to fall for it. If it was true it'd be all over the place by now; so quite possible that someone wrote it and then scrubbed it.

Had an interesting discussion with an engineer at the LA event today regarding the aerodynamics of the car. He stated that the aero wheels would increase range at higher speeds by about 5% and the auto air suspension by about 5 miles. Surprising to me, he mentioned that the retractable door handles were designed for aesthetics and do not significantly enhance the aerodynamics of the car.

This may have been mentioned elsewhere regarding the status of the aero wheels, but he indicated that the delay is resulting from manufacturing challenges since it requires a complex multi-step masking process to color the wheels. He was cautiously optimistic that a manufacturer will eventually be found to finish the partially painted wheels which have been produced to date.