Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket 18" tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My OEM tires are worn out almost to the point of baldness after 15,000 miles. The Tesla service center quoted me $1375 to replace them with the same model (which is, frankly, ridiculous, it's almost double the price and half the mileage, relative to what I normally get out of tires - and I had two other cars which were more expensive than the Model 3.)

Rapid tire wear seems to be a general problem for EVs (OEMs have treadwear grade 500, which is about average), but that's just a further reason to use cheaper tires. Even if OEMs have out-of-this-world low rolling resistance (I'm not sure if they do), that can't possibly justify the price. At this price, and if I have to replace them every 15k, I'd end up paying substantially more for the tires than for the electricity to power the car.

Has anyone looked into aftermarket 18" tires yet? Any reasonably-priced recommendations? Can I use SL load rating or V speed rating (OEMs are XL and W, which seems overkill for a 3800 lb non-exotic)?