Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

aftermarket rims contacting the front lower control arm when turning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have 2018 model x 100d with 22" aftermarket rims installed on my tesla for 2 years without any issue, recently i hear scratching noise from my front driver side when i do a slow full left turn, feels like something is touching while i am doing a full left turn, my tesla was due for a 2 year service, so i scheduled a appointment with tesla for the service and have them check on the issue, i have my break fluid flushed change the filter and alignment done, but the noise still there when i turn left, the tesla technician told me the noise is my aftermarket rim contacting front lower control arm, they tell me to change my rims to oem see if the noise still there, if still there bring it back again. i don't think my aftermarket rims was the issue they have been there for 2 years without any issue, now all the sudden they start to touching the lower control arm? its obvious there is some problem with suspension or parts near the breaks is loose or broken.

i have my tesla in the shop for 2 days they didn't even bother to check why rim is contacting the lower control arm, instead they look my aftermarket rims and said they are the problem, and they tell me to replace with oem rims if the noise still there bring it back they will inspect it again, just like last time when i was there i have tire pressure monitor system fault light on, the technician looked at my wheels told me aftermarket wheels is causing the light to came on, instead it was one of the TPMs sensor out the battery after only 1 and the half year, so i replaced all four sensor then the light disappears,

now i have to bring my oem rims and tire to my local tire shop to put it back to my tesla then bring it back to tesla service center again to see what is the problem, anybody know what could be the reason my rims contacting the lower control arm when turn left?

*I* know aftermarket rims usually aren't the problem. And *you* know aftermarket rims usually aren't the problem. But sometimes they *are* the problem, even if it doesn't show up for two years.

I understand Tesla's point of view here. They can't be responsible for chasing down issues with non-Tesla stuff. Not for free anyway.

Maybe it's not the rims, and if it's not, a non-Tesla shop might be able to determine that. On your dime.

Either way please post back here if the problem goes away when you put the original rims back on.

Hi everyone, since winter tires have been forever unavailable on the Tesla site I decided to purchase winter Pirelli's through Tire Rack. I was about to purchase after market rims and the site gave me a warning that after market rims may void the warranty on the Tesla. Could this be true? I understand the comments above but the rims I considered fit the tire size and don't extend out in any way. I would appreciate any insight from the community on whether aftermarket rims can impact warranty on a new Tesla