Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 MX alternative parts for front upper control arms

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Padelford

Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2017
Seattle
My upper control arms are getting very squeaky after only a year since Tesla replaced them at my expense. The service center told me today it’s unlikely Tesla will pay for the new ones since it’s 13 months since the replacement. They’re only warrantied for one year.

I’m wondering if anyone has replaced the Tesla arms with aftermarket parts? Dorman claims the reason the Tesla arms fail is that they allow water to enter the ball joints where the plastic control arm joins to the metal ball joint. Dorman’s control arm design is stamped steel with a more conventional ball joint. Dorman’s control arms are apparent much more expensive than the Tesla parts.

I’d appreciate some opinions & experiences with this.

Last edited:
I’ve tried the grease injection trick a few weeks ago, and it seemed to help for a while. I used the Lucas Red & Tacky grease.

The last noise episode was the worst I’ve experienced, but it quit the next day. The noise coming and going is baffling me. It sure doesn’t help trying to get a service center to do anything about it. High air temperatures seem to be a factor in making the noise occur/worse. Roads were pretty smooth before, during and after. I didn’t change the suspension height.

BTW, the Dorman “new and improved” upper control arms are about $650 each on Amazon. Wow. I can’t find any other alternatives.

1690046554096.png

EvanneX sells those dorman parts for about $180 each.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
Tesla charged me 90$ each to replace. Try the grease injection with a needle. I don’t know what after market upper arms cost. I wouldn’t spend more than $300 a side.
How are people getting such low prices for their control arm replacements. I was just quoted from Tesla $285 for each control arm plus one hour of labor for each side! Almost $1000 for replace both sides!!

@Vip - On what car? You're in the Model X forum, and the Model X has known issues with these, so Tesla has a "goodwill" deal where they only have a minimal charge (probably to avoid them ending up with a recall or lawsuit).

This may not apply to the S, which is what I see in your photo. If you do have an X, make sure you specifically ask the service center about this program, and mention you know this is a common, known issue with early Model X cars.

@Vip - On what car? You're in the Model X forum, and the Model X has known issues with these, so Tesla has a "goodwill" deal where they only have a minimal charge (probably to avoid them ending up with a recall or lawsuit).

This may not apply to the S, which is what I see in your photo. If you do have an X, make sure you specifically ask the service center about this program, and mention you know this is a common, known issue with early Model X cars.
Thanks for the reply. Yes I do have a S but was looking through all the forums about the upper control arms. I have come across multiple people saying the same thing about the S as you are saying about the X.
Should I discuss the goodwill deal with the SC or through the app?

An update: I'm going into the SC next Tuesday for what I think are lower control arm replacements. The squeaking is loudest near the ground as opposed to at the top of the tire (there's line-of-sight to the upper control arm parts at the top of the tire). I don't think it's the upper control arms. There is a toe-in control arm down there too that might be the source of the irritating noise.

The squeaking a week ago was loud enough to echo off adjacent buildings as I drove by. It's quieted down in the last few days. Makes it hard to figure out just what the hell is wrong.

The toe-in arms will be a lot cheaper to replace. The lower control arms will probably require lowering the battery pack to remove the inner anchor bolts from the body. Some Tesla engineer with rectal-cranial inversion (ex Ford employee?) deliberately put the bolts in the wrong way - if they were reversed, the arms could be easily removed & replaced.

One thing I found with the control arms is that it's not always the ball and socket joint that squeeks. Try an Anti Friction spray grease into the two rubber bush areas are the other end of the arm. This helped mine and lasts until a good few days of rain washes it out.

There are 3 control arms in the front of the X, one at the top and 2 at the bottom. Instead of dropping the battery pack, just cut the bolt and get a new one. New upper control arm from Tesla is about $100, but I am going with aftermarket as I have no faith in the Tesla part that will likely fail again. I am replacing the lower ones with other makes. I just bought an arm from Meyle, which is suppose to be a nicer arm

Reactions: kingpleb