Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any thoughts on if and when air suspension will become available?

Got a chance to drive a Model 3 this weekend and realized that California, specifically the central valley, has some rough roads.

There have been a couple of threads on this if you search (not sure if you did or not). But the last update was that Elon said it would be linked with AWD, Interperate that however you like. And there have been a few sightings of AWD test cars if memory serves. In addition to that the RWDs front suspension setup doesn't allow for front axles up front. So that suggests a different assembly. Which IMO suggests AWD will be exclusively quippped with SAS (smart air suspension).

Edit: AWD test cars with air suspension.

Last edited:
Whether it comes in July or just "mid Year" as the earliest reservations are showing, it does seem assured that AWD will all come with air suspension, possibly as an option.

Any thoughts on if and when air suspension will become available?

Got a chance to drive a Model 3 this weekend and realized that California, specifically the central valley, has some rough roads.
Have you found that the air suspension is better at handling those roads? Maybe by driving a couple of Model S?
I did have a chance to try out air suspension on a loaner S, and I did not find it to be smoother. Actually, on some surfaces, it was rougher than the standard coils on my S.
YMMV!

Have you found that the air suspension is better at handling those roads? Maybe by driving a couple of Model S?
I did have a chance to try out air suspension on a loaner S, and I did not find it to be smoother. Actually, on some surfaces, it was rougher than the standard coils on my S.
YMMV!
Now, it is possible to configure model 3 AWD.
Someone knows if the suspension is lower than RWD? I don’t like the gap over the wheels in the rear.