Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Airbags

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if a MY has option C for airbags it is described as such

C = Manual Type 2 Seat Belts (Front Row, Center Row*2, Third Row*2) With Front Airbags, PODS, Side Inflatable Restraints

I have questions.

Center row*2 .... We do agree that there are actually 3 seatbelts in the backseat right ? (So why do it say 2)

What are PODS ?

Side inflatable restraints, is that both curtain airbags and those airbags on the outside of the front seats, or are either of these, what is called PODS ?

I dont know why they even mention third row, this is a 5 seater car ?

Yeah, that wording could be made more clear. This figure from the Model Y Owner’s Manual shows where the airbags are located in the car. The "Side Inflatable Restraints" are the seat-mounted side airbags in the front row and the side curtain airbags that extend from the front to the second row. It's not clear what the *2 for the center row corresponds to but it seems to indicate the number of seat belts in which case it should be *3. They also don't indicate *2 for the two seatbelts in the front.

PODS = Passenger Occupant Detection System so they are not airbags but the system that detects whether a passenger is seated in a particular seat.

Although the figure is for a 5-seater Model Y, there are 7-seater Model Ys that also have seat belts for the third row.
CleanShot 2023-03-14 at 07.00.59@2x.png

Last edited:
Reactions: hmadsen
Yeah, that wording could be made more clear. This figure from the Model Y Owner’s Manual shows where the airbags are located in the car. The "Side Inflatable Restraints" are the seat-mounted side airbags in the front row and the side curtain airbags that extend from the front to the second row. It's not clear what the *2 for the center row corresponds to. They also don't indicate *2 for the two seatbelts in the front.

PODS = Passenger Occupant Detection System so they are not airbags but the system that detects whether a passenger is seated in a particular seat.

Although the figure is for a 5-seater Model Y, there are 7-seater Model Ys that also have seat belts for the third row.
View attachment 917416
Okay so this car has the "standard" 6 airbags.

I see in some markets there is also knee airbags, but it seems they did not put them in my model Y.

I also read about some airbag between the driver and passenger, but i guess that such an airbag is not implemented in the Model Y yet ? (Supposedly to keep the driver and passenger from banging their heads together if the car was hit from the side ?)

I also read about some airbag between the driver and passenger, but i guess that such an airbag is not implemented in the Model Y yet ? (Supposedly to keep the driver and passenger from banging their heads together if the car was hit from the side ?)
If you look closely, you can see a seat-mounted side airbag on the inside position of the driver's seat. As the Note indicates, that airbag was added to later Model Ys. Could that be the airbag you read about?

That might very well be it.

I wonder if this is then standard on Tesla's now ?

I have just been informed that my Model Y, is Shanghai made in 2023, i hope this means that it will have this airbag as well...Can't have to much safety :)

That might very well be it.

I wonder if this is then standard on Tesla's now ?

I have just been informed that my Model Y, is Shanghai made in 2023, i hope this means that it will have this airbag as well...Can't have to much safety :)
Yes, I believe that is what the note means. Since your Tesla was made at least six months after they started including the extra airbag in Shanghai Modely Ys, you must have it.