Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Aussie Specific Build Info and Analysis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A thread to hold discussions on Aussie specific build types amongst the models, different build codes, different options and so forth.

Some themes Ive tried so far:
1. Looking at the Tesla Final Invoice Data
2. Build Code Snooping
3. Aussie Rego Commissioning

So first up looking at Tesla Final Invoice Data

Heres an example of the info you can glean from the final invoice that Tesla issue and how to do an example VIN analysis

Model: Model 3 Performance All-Wheel Drive
Model Year: 2023
Colour: Red Multi-Coat
Title: NEW
VIN: LRW3F7EL4PCnnnnnn
Build Date: 17/03/2023
Engine Number:
Front: TGnnnnnnnnnnnn
Rear: TGnnnnnnnnnnnn

VIN Analysis

LRW = China
3 = Tesla Model 3
F = 4 Door RHD Sedan (typically Model 3)
7 = 2 Front, 3 Rear Seat Belts, Front Airbags, Side Inflatable Restraints; Active Hood
E = Extended Capacity Lithium Ion Battery
L = Performance Motor – hairpin winding
9th Digit: This is a variable checksum digit, to be assigned by manufacturer
P = 2023 model year
C = Shanghi, China
nnnnnn = Unique serial number

• Informative
Reactions: SPadival
Build Code Snooping

This is about pulling the build codes that get pushed from Tesla servers when authenticated under your Tesla account. This allows you to snoop on some of the manufacturing build codes specific to your vehicle. However, Tesla are not releasing all the build codes associated to the VIN to the account owner. For example, on mine, I have ultra sonic sensors and the build code for that is known, but is not included. Same with the build code for the battery manufacturer and the battery bank infos.

Mine are the following build codes:

$APBS,$BC3R,$DV4W,$IPW1,$PPMR,$PRM31,$SC04,$MDL3,$W33D,$SLR1,$MT329,$PL31,$SPT31,$CPF1,$DRRH,$RSF1,$CW03

Which translates too:

APBSBasic Autopilot features
BC3RM3Y Red Brake callipers
DV4WDual Motor All-Wheel Drive
IPW1Black and White Premium Interior
PPMRMulticoat Red
PRM31Premium Interior
SC04Pay per use Supercharging
MDL3Model 3
W33D20 Uberturbine Wheels
SLR1Sport Pack Spoiler
MT329Performance
MT329 SpecM3 Performance 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) 3.3 s
MT329 SpecM3 Performance Range (NEDC) 547 km
MT329 SpecM3 Performance Top speed 261 km/h
PL31Performance Aluminium Pedals
SPT31M3Y Sports Package
SPT31 SpecM3 Performance 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) 3.4 s
SPT31 SpecM3 Performance 0-60 mph 3.2 s
SPT31 SpecM3 Performance Range (WLTP) 530 km
SPT31 SpecM3 Performance Range (WLTP) 329 mi
SPT31 SpecM3 Performance Top speed 261 km/h
SPT31 SpecM3 Performance Top speed 162 mph
CPF1Premium connectivity
DRRHRight hand drive
RSF1Rear heated seats
CW03Cold Weather pack

Rego Commisioning Data

This provided what I initially thought to be details I already knew, but then I found a little trail of candy that let to a sweet sweet ginger bread house :)

Stuff like the tare mass, the DRIVES model code and the approval number were all kinda yawn I know those things. Im a FORS Subscriber and ADR publisher so I already knew on the ADR category code. By implication the NCOP and the owner certified modifications VS what ruleset an approved engineering signatory can consider certification of beyond owner certified mods etcetc. It was all kinda yawn to some extent.

Engine: TGnnnnnnnnnnnn
Approval Number: VTA-050079
Make: TESLA
Model Year: 2023
Model: Model 3 E5LDP
Colour: Red
Shape: SED
DRIVES model code: MODE19
Tare weight: 1844
Wheelbase: 2875
Drive: RHD
Gear type: Automatic
Driven wheels: 4
Max Seating: 5
No of doors: 4
ADR category code: MA
Axle code: R11

This however, turned out to be of most interest: Model: Model 3 E5LDP

This is a unique identifier of the model code Tesla have designated for my model in Aus. So, lets do some analysis on that.

Aussie Model Code Analysis from the Rego Commissioning Data

Model 3 E5LDP

E = Model 3 designator
5L = Battery bank code
D = Dual motor build code
P = Performance variant build code

Whats unique here is the battery bank identifier. This is not published anywhere else in any other sources, at the time of writing, here in Australia.

Last edited:
So lets explore the 5L battery bank code.

20230818_203135485_iOS.png

This chart seems to think the planet amounts to either the EU or the USA haha :) But, its a good starting point. Here we can see some revision history with different build codes against dates with the battery bank

So for sometime now since 2022, the extended range build code vehicles both in 3 and Y from Gigashanghai, have been using LG Chem M50 NCMA. This is distinct to both NCM and NCA cathode chemistries. NCMA cathodes feature a chemistry of nickel-manganese-cobalt-aluminium oxide.

Tesla make the following designations with the 5L:

1. Build Code: BT43 (this is currently hidden by not pushing this data from VINs in Australia to the owner in their authenticated owners options list)
  2. Internal Designator: Tesla E31 is what Tesla use internally with this battery bank

Tesla's E31 has a mass of 456KG. It uses 2170L sized cells which are 5Ah, in four modules making up the total battery bank, totaling 4416 individual cells. This gives a net capacity of 79KWh and a gross capacity 81.65KWh on 355V. Rated temps are -30C to +60C, where we know super sub freezing temps the calendar aging is a non event entirely but the hot side, no way on heck woud anyone want their most cherished M3P to be anywhere like 60 or 50, heck 40C in an LCMA bank is tears worthy :) Well, maybe a track record worthy, but certainly not continue to use the poor abused girl the days after.

20230819_120848065_iOS.jpg

NCMA cannot be assumed to be the same as either NCM or NCA in operation for us owners. For example, the "SoC Club" golden value for maximal battery bank care is different - we need a shift to 58-60% SoC, it's by the science actually 62% true SoC where all below that point the character of calendar age based degradation is significantly platued and desirable. Given how Tesla do a fudge factor and not report true SoC, its around 58-60% SoC the golden value, while knowing, true SoC is 62% and under.

20230818_202244508_iOS.jpg

As we discover when considering for example the place of LFP, NCMA has pros and cons.

One thing thats kinda got my goat is the latest 2023 variant M3P with NCMA is undoubtedly not the truly fastest M3P ever built by Tesla when considering the 100-200KLM acceleration range. The butt hurt factor is compensated by other things that also come along with a 2023 M3P for example the hairpin winding stator within the build codes drive unit is superior to older drive unit stators, which enhances things nicely there. It still does linger as a stink finger thought, the fastest ever M3P will not be however an NCMA hairpin, but a hairpin M3P on other chemistry. By a weeeny teeeny amount. So, butt hurt, facts are facts haha

NCMA is basically LG Chems baby. Its supposed to be better than both NCA and NCM, while at the same time earning bonus pointage for using less cobalt. Cobalt is eco-sensitive and can be problematic with ethics on child labour. Whats certain is that its better than LPF with mass, and better than NCA or NCM in some measurements beyond the 100 - 200 KLM butt hurt factoid.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacTessy
NCMA cathode material lithium ion batteries are shown to outperform the two other chemistries in this trio, when it comes to looking at measurements with for example better cycle life, better resistance to heat. It's arguably greater with safety due to generating less gas though obviously safety performance the LFP wins easily. Which is fine with me as LFP is so so so wrong for a high performance sports car on the LFP downsides, so if it's the safest of the trio NCM, NCA, NCMA then atleast that doesnt come with the cost of all the loss in energy density and therefore gained mass as in LFP.

What I'm currently thinking, is the M3P exhibits quite exceptional aero with a drag coefficient of 0.23. The butt hurt factor, that zone in speed of 100 - 200 in track based situations, aero becomes an increasingly important quantity for truly developing a car to be ultra quick. Now, I never profess to be a computational fluid dynamics savant and I actually find the whole thing to be a drag (lol pun) with impending headaches on thinking with it............but, basic facts remain basic facts in this world. Basic facts are, the teeny weeny loss in 100 - 200 KLM acceleration associated with the LG Chem M50 NCMA cathode chemistry, is teeny weeny.

What is a big ass sledgehammer in comparison is the aero consideration at 150, at 200 Klmh. No CFD analysis necessary to have total confidence in a sledgehammer vs a sparrow flatulence. So 0.23 CD, all it would take is to drop the ride height to gain aero further. This as well, will improve the CoG, specifically the height of the CoG. It is already exceptional and quite ahead of ICE vehicles due to the positioning of the main mass assemblies in the chassis being the battery bank, and both front and rear drive units. As well, reducing the CoG height will assist cornering irrespective of aero considerations. The polar moment of the M3P is also very good. It really is very very impressive, the zero RPM torque, the max RPM in a single speed drivetrain, heck look at the mass of the drive units front and rear vs the power/torque output. Just wow. Mmmm think I might go and cuddle my M3P to give her bed time tuck ins :)

Last edited:
Reactions: noddy@teamterm
So for sometime now since 2022, the extended range build code vehicles both in 3 and Y from Gigashanghai, have been using LG Chem M50 NCMA.
Now there has been some articles written about LG going from a NMC to NCMA chemistry to be used in Teslas floating about for some time from what I have seen but what evidence are you using to make such a committed statement?

For example if we look at data as presented here:
the M50 is NMC with a "811 formulation for the cathode".

Trev there's no doubt. I have the LG Energy engineering specifications for both the M50L and the M50LT in the 21700 cell sizing. They are marked confidential and I cant distribute it but I would suggest you contact LG Energy for them. They are indeed NCMA, any source that thinks otherwise is mistaken. I also have the M58 docos, which still in the 21700 sizing bumps from 5Ah to 5.8Ah so so crazy its an exciting time in lithium ion.

None of this is ultra new. This has been LG's baby for years. They were going into the GM Ultium platform on the Hummer but Tesla beat them to it to be first with it.

LG were also the first mass manufacturer to do NCMA in pouches in full rate production as well as the 21700 sizing.

Thanks for a very interesting set of posts
Cheers. Pleased Im able to give back with interesting info. My thanks for all the awesome input and help on other topics to me from folks like Quickst, Mellocom, Zombie, Cafz, Paul, Jon etc. Weve got a good crew going for the Aussie and NZ Tesla owners and fans :)

Last edited:
Parts: Serial Numbers

Tesla use serial numbers on parts which can be decoded.

Digits 1-3

All Tesla manufacturing sites start with T. So, TFR Fremont etc. Other non Tesla manufacturing sites wont start with T.

Digits 4-5

Build year. 23 = 2023 etc.

Digits 6-8

Build day. 001, 365 etc.

Digits 9-14

nnnnnn = Unique serial number for that part.

For example if we look at data as presented here:
the M50 is NMC with a "811 formulation for the cathode".
That source has confused the 5C with the 5L

5C is the LG M48 NCM where the cathode element composition is described by 811
5L is the LG M50 NCMA that basically has all the benefits of both NCA and NCM, combined, while using less cobalt and more nickel in the cathode

Snooping on type certifications in different global markets reveals more on Tesla build configurations. In Australia, identifying the designation E5LDP in the rego commissioning was critical to revealing more info on my vehice specific to Australia.

t3.jpeg

Which translates into the following Tesla codes for battery banks

Standard Range+ (or just "Model 3" from late 2021)
BT35 which is the Panasonic 53kWh battery with 2170 NCA cells, coded 1/1C
BT41 which is the Panasonic 55kWh battery with 2170L NCA cells, coded 1L
BTF0 which is the CATL LFP55 55kWh battery with Prismatic LFP cells, coded 6C
BTF1 which is the CATL LFP60 62kWh battery with Prismatic LFP cells, coded 6L

Long Range and Performance models
BT37 which is the Panasonic 53kWh battery with 2170 NCA cells, coded 1/1C
BT38 which is the LG Chem M48 75kWh battery with 2170 NMC cells, coded 5/5C
BT42 which is the Panasonic 82kWh battery with 2170L NCA cells, coded 3L
BT43 which is the LG Chem M50 79kWh battery with 2170 NCMA cells, coded 5L

Tesla's Cathode Chemistry Analysis

Battery-chemistries-comparison-by-Tesla.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Zinzilla
Analysing drive unit numbers

Front: TG323066nnnnnn
Rear: TG323050nnnnnn

Build code site: TG3 Tesla Gigafactory 3 GigaShanghai
Build Year: 23
Build Day:
066 March 7 (Tue)
050 February 19 (Sun)
nnnnnn Unique Serial Number

Drive Unit Infos

t4.jpeg

Note confirmation of the common M3P has more than high 300 KW total, with 413KW being nominated which is on the money with real world performance on my M3P.

Theres a build plate you can see through the rear left uberturbine spokes behind the brake rotor. I CBDS'ed removing the rim like here:

t4b.jpeg

Through the wheel its visible on 3D6:

20230828_012917314_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
So here in Aus things are different to say the US or EU with type approval. In the EU there is a EC Certificate of Conformity for example. The way it works in Aus is found here:

And ROVER:

Youll see you can search all Tesla type approvals in Australia, including all the current and prior iterations in each type approval. Youll note earlier my type approval number is listed on the rego commissioning data. Its VTA-050079.

Here you can RVD download for 050079 which has 37 pages of goodies to enjoy :) The type approval 050079 was latest updated in 2023-07-28

Over to RVCS in Aus for MVSA approval details:

This lists the certification unit details for 050079.

These records will also be important for possible modifications by any owners. So in Aus, under the national code of practice for light vehicle modifications, there is owner certified modifications as well as engineering signatory certified modifications. All of the applicable ADRs for the MA passenger veihcle ADR compliance type is listed in these docos. Note also, you cant randomly choose an engineering signatory where your mate is a mech eng and youll throw him a six pack for a paper. Only approved engineering signatories are recognised and the approval is specific to the state / territory. some of the signatories have multiple states / territories where they are approved.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Tesla make the following designations with the 5L:

1. Build Code: BT43 (this is currently hidden by not pushing this data from VINs in Australia to the owner in their authenticated owners options list)
  2. Internal Designator: Tesla E31 is what Tesla use internally with this battery bank

Tesla's E31 has a mass of 456KG. It uses 2170L sized cells which are 5Ah, in four modules making up the total battery bank, totaling 4416 individual cells. This gives a net capacity of 79KWh and a gross capacity 81.65KWh on 355V.

The 5L is 78.8 kWh Full Pack when new, which usually reach a top of 79.1 or so nominal full pack.

Tesla use 4.5% buffer so at 78.8 thats 3.55kWh. ”Usable” is in that case 75.25 kWh.

The gross capacity is 78.8 kWh when new, and this at 403V pack voltage. (4.2 x96)
The 355V is the nominal voltage.