Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alignment Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I've been having an alignment problem on the car ever since the day I took delivery. The car was going to the left whenever the steering wheel was straight. I brought the car into the service center immediately and supposedly they corrected the problem. 200 miles later, the problem is still there.

I decided to take the car to shop that I've been going to for my past few cars and pay a little extra to get things done right rather than hoping that the service center will get it right eventually. Turns out the rear wheels were completely out of specs... not sure what the service center was doing or maybe they don't do the alignments themselves..

After everything was aligned precisely to the specs, the car was still not going straight when the steering wheel was straight. Thankfully, the owner of the shop was extremely patient and understands how frustrating that could be. He told me that he would have to adjust it a little out of specifications to achieve proper alignment.

The car is finally driving normal as it should but the specs were no where near the specs that the service center left it at. I've seen a few posts with people having the same problem so hopefully this can shed a light.

And if you're in the Los Angeles County and having an alignment issue - contact Cyrus at JC Auto House - he'll respond fairly quick through yelp and can point you in the right direction.
JC Auto House - Temple City, CA

Did he give you before and after alignment numbers? I'm a little mystified as to how aligning the rear wheels "out of spec" could be needed to make the car track straight...

I forgot to ask for a copy of the measurements after he had adjusted it but these were the numbers that still resulted in un-centered steering wheel.

Attachments

• Scan.jpeg
    Scan.jpeg
    348.1 KB · Views: 83
I forgot to ask for a copy of the measurements after he had adjusted it but these were the numbers that still resulted in un-centered steering wheel.
Those alignment numbers look fine to me. That seems like a lot of toe in the rear but that may be as designed, toe in adds stability. I don't think a non centered steering wheel is really an alignment problem unless you mean that the car pulls to one side when you're not holding the wheel. Either the steering wheel was mounted wrong or the tie rods are adjusted wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61