Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model S Alignment Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up a new-to-me 2020 Model S Long Range Plus in Sept/Oct last year. The alignment was always a little wonky- car wouldn't track straight. The front tires were also almost bald when the car arrived, even though the rears looked brand new. So I picked up 2 new tires and had an alignment performed at a tire shop; the shop confirmed it was far out of alignment when I brought it in. A couple weeks later, the car was pulling to one side again, so I went to the service center. When I went to pick up the car, it was worse than when I dropped it off, so I angrily drove it right back and made them redo it. About an hour later, I drove off the lot and things were ok. A couple weeks later, it was off again. However, having spent $500+ on alignments in a two month span ($200 at the tire shop and $300 at Tesla), I decided just to accept that my car will always need the steering wheel pointed a little right.

Well, unfortunately I rotated my tires the other night and saw that I totally burned through the inner portion of one of the fronts and the other front was pretty far down too. The rears were still perfect.

I'm really at a loss for what to do. The last alignment was in December, so it's only been a few months. And these tires are only 6-7 months old, maybe 5k miles. Of course, I made another service appointment but it's going to cost yet again $300 to experiment. Plus at least $500 for two more tires. I was so livid that I put in the chat about all the alignments and the dismissive attitude that I got from the service center last time; they said they'll check the alignment for free before deciding what to do next. I just don't trust them as it's been a total crap show. The tires are also extremely loud while driving; my car is louder than my old gas-powered cars on the highway.

Anyone else ever have alignment issues like this? The car is still under warranty thankfully, although I'm thinking maybe that's why they're giving me the brushoff- there is probably something broken in the suspension and they don't feel like fixing.

Attachments

• tire.JPG
    tire.JPG
    315.1 KB · Views: 5
I'd take my car to a frame and alignment shop or collision center to have everything checked out. Sometimes rarely the aluminum frame mounting block is busted or cracked. Since you are not a new Tesla owner, I am assuming the tires are XL rated, and correct.

Thanks. Yes they're the proper rating, although I don't love them which is why I'm not terribly heartbroken about needing to buy new tires- they're the Goodyear Eagle Touring T1 tires. But I'm super hesitant to drop $1400 on a set of MXM4s before this alignment issue is solved.

Good thought on the frame shop. Will try that if the alignment doesn't stick after the next try.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Thanks. Yes they're the proper rating, although I don't love them which is why I'm not terribly heartbroken about needing to buy new tires- they're the Goodyear Eagle Touring T1 tires. But I'm super hesitant to drop $1400 on a set of MXM4s before this alignment issue is solved.

Good thought on the frame shop. Will try that if the alignment doesn't stick after the next try.
Before you pay for another alignment have the torque checked on all nuts and bolts in the front suspension. I had two alignments done, one by the Tesla service center and the other by an independent shop only to find out that almost all the lower ball joints were loose and yet both places had done alignments. It doesn't hurt to check. .