Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

alignment issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
not to sound like a broken record but i found someone in town who can do alignments, however my driveway isn't flat enough and i can't dismantle the workshop in the garage. I've done a DIY alignment and it's A TON better than it was, but the devil is in the details.

Here's the question, will Tesla do an alignment with aftermarket wheels? i asked them to do it when i first got it but covid wouldn't let that happen because it wasn't a "safety issue" then i jumped a curb because of said alignment issue. Had it towed to Tesla, said everything looked ok just need a couple tires and rims. I said "please check the alignment" because they said they had "fillers" to put on in order to check things. they said they did, but they totally did not.

I'm expecting a clear "no" but don't understand how they can have wheels to throw on for diagnostics but not alignments.

I've got an appointment wednesday for a laundry list of issues including my prior post regarding rust. Do they provide loaners?

Rant over. The joys of being an early adopter.

• Informative
Reactions: theganjaguru
They can do an alignement with any wheels. Will they? Your guess is as good as mine.

I’m not a huge fan of dealers for things like alignments. They go off the OEM range of specs and damn near everything is “within spec” on many OEM cars alignment recommendations. There are of course issues when you’re towards the outside of those specs, especially if all the numbers are on the outer edge in the same direction. Personally I love Hunter alignment machines. For a normal street car you don’t want to do it the old fashioned way in your driveway IMO...I’m a fan of working smarter, not harder.

long story short I’d recommend an outside alignment shop. The cost will be less than Tesla. Look for local car forums or groups, especially if you have track racers in your area. There will be 1-2 shops that people trust. Always ask for a before and after printout

I had guys drive 2+hrs to have me align their cars when I was younger and doing that sort of work as I put a lot of care into making sure it was right. We did a bunch of really neat cars. That was a fun period in my life. Ahhhh memories.

They can do an alignement with any wheels. Will they? Your guess is as good as mine.

I’m not a huge fan of dealers for things like alignments. They go off the OEM range of specs and damn near everything is “within spec” on many OEM cars alignment recommendations. There are of course issues when you’re towards the outside of those specs, especially if all the numbers are on the outer edge in the same direction. Personally I love Hunter alignment machines. For a normal street car you don’t want to do it the old fashioned way in your driveway IMO...I’m a fan of working smarter, not harder.

long story short I’d recommend an outside alignment shop. The cost will be less than Tesla. Look for local car forums or groups, especially if you have track racers in your area. There will be 1-2 shops that people trust. Always ask for a before and after printout

I had guys drive 2+hrs to have me align their cars when I was younger and doing that sort of work as I put a lot of care into making sure it was right. We did a bunch of really neat cars. That was a fun period in my life. Ahhhh memories.

The thing that blows my mind is all the shops in my area say they use hunters but it's not possible since its not in their computer. It's BS, I know. Anyways I've decided to just clean out the garage and have the guy come to the house and do it. He works with tracks and all kinds of custom cars. Only thing he needs are the specs, which I have. He's the first honest guy I've dealt with so far that actually is willing to do it.

I'll have the SC deal with the rest of the warranty issues.

Also, Musk can have his team dock with the space station but can't paint a car? Sorry, had to say it

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Why would you assume it's BS if the MY is not in their alignment computer? I for one would sure want the computer to know the proper specs.

It's not that i don't believe them when they say it's not in their computer, but that their machine can't do a vehicle that isn't in the database. With provided specs you can manually input the values into the alignment machines. They're basically unwilling to do it and make up something about sensors and re-calibration and all this other technical jargon which isn't applicable to his model.

• Love
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
It's not that i don't believe them when they say it's not in their computer, but that their machine can't do a vehicle that isn't in the database. With provided specs you can manually input the values into the alignment machines. They're basically unwilling to do it and make up something about sensors and re-calibration and all this other technical jargon which isn't applicable to his model.
Many third parties are "afraid" to work on Telsas, as if they are some exotic fragile beasts.

Many third parties are "afraid" to work on Telsas, as if they are some exotic fragile beasts.

Very true, although i found a Christian Brothers Automotive location up the street about 5 miles away that said they have no problem doing it and have the Hawkeye Elite alignment machine. Taking it in at 7am tomorrow. I was really impressed, they even answered a web form question on a sunday and emailed me back. I'll keep everybody posted.

From a shop liability standpoint, if the computer has the specs and they're wrong, the alignment computer manufacturer is liable; the shop isn't on the hook. That might be part of their fears.
Don’t bet on that. Any alignment tech with half a brain knows how to get the specs. Back when I aligned cars we weren’t able to depend on the machines to hold our hand...the specs are available if you’re willing to look. Sometimes on our newer machine the specs were actually wrong. (Manufacturer of the car had changed them due to poor tire wear)

They weren’t willing to, end of story. Suing over an alignment is the last thing on a shop owners mind. They didn’t want to bother with it. And they have the right to make that decision. It won’t be good for them in the long run, but that’s not my problem.

... Any alignment tech with half a brain knows how to get the specs. Back when I aligned cars we weren’t able to depend on the machines to hold our hand...the specs are available if you’re willing to look. Sometimes on our newer machine the specs were actually wrong. (Manufacturer of the car had changed them due to poor tire wear)

They weren’t willing to, end of story. Suing over an alignment is the last thing on a shop owners mind. They didn’t want to bother with it. And they have the right to make that decision. It won’t be good for them in the long run, but that’s not my problem.
Who mentioned suing? That was not my point. Merely that if someone does enter wrong data and that causes damage, liability results. (I was going to say "liability ensues," but that might confuse some.) That "somebody" would include the manufacturer of the rack in with wrong specs in a newer machine, not the tech that aligned based on the wrong specs. :rolleyes:

I just had aftermarket wheels installed at a local Firestone dealer last week. I always buy the lifetime alignment for my cars as it pays for itself quickly. Anyway, he had to get the update for his machine for the 2020 models, which he did. With only 2,000 miles on the car, I was surprised how far off they were - all four wheels.