Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems odd to me, the 'special announcement' and no run up in the stock...

I feel like it might be some holiday charitable donation.

If it IS international expansion (which I figured was still a year or two away), I would expect at least a 10% bump in shares...

Anyone got an idea what is up with SOL today? I have a small position in it, including a $2 July14 call that went from nearly worthless to in the green today. Not complaining, but putting some Solar panels on Temple University (I live near Philly) that was announced yesterday can't be the catalysts.

Anyone got an idea what is up with SOL today? I have a small position in it, including a $2 July14 call that went from nearly worthless to in the green today. Not complaining, but putting some Solar panels on Temple University (I live near Philly) that was announced yesterday can't be the catalysts.

I don't know what you mean. SOL is now a speculative stock. You can make a lot of money trading it, but only if you know exactly what you are doing (do not recommend since the market makers control the stock now and will eat your lunch). It will go up 10% on some days, and down 10% on others. There is nothing out of the ordinary today with SOL: it is up 6% just like all of the other solar stocks up 2% - 10%+.

I don't know what you mean. SOL is now a speculative stock. You can make a lot of money trading it, but only if you know exactly what you are doing (do not recommend since the market makers control the stock now and will eat your lunch). It will go up 10% on some days, and down 10% on others. There is nothing out of the ordinary today with SOL: it is up 6% just like all of the other solar stocks up 2% - 10%+.

OK. I bought this small position in stock and call contracts a couple months ago. Maybe $5K total. I am not afraid to lose the money (in fact since the Q3ER and guidance I expect to lose it) but I do keep it as a speculative play. We have just seen it moving lower , almost by the day, while some other solars have had up and down days. Just did not know if the move today was just speculative people moving the stock or some type of positive catalyst that I could not find.

Not any real news and big solar movements are the norm as sleepy said. we could see a correction tomorrow, we could see another big run. I too was grasping at starws when i made the connection of YGE's 223mw to the sector movement. The solar sector moves in mysterious ways and we never really know why it does what it does.

I too am holding my SOL and a tiny bit to HSOL(speculative play) that i bought some time ago in hopes the rest of the sector helps them out. The majority of my money in SOL is stock so i can and will hold it for a long time unless i see the company going under. Hopefully shutting down the phase one plant pays off in the long run, we will just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
I have added back positions in Solar from high $27s with CSIQ only. Doing it little by little this time. Also added some more positions to our all time fav TSLA. If there is a major market correction all the high PE stocks will take a dump first. I am not totally sure about Solar. They may or may not.

Just curious, what positions in tech do each of you guys own? At the moment I have TSLA, CSIQ, TWTR, and YHOO and basically am in the middle of shifting weighting between them to get ready for 2014. I am thinking TSLA + CSIQ will end up being 50% ( with TSLA 33% out of that 50%). All stock.

A name i have been in since $10.75 is MU. (could of been in at $8 but i held off) I still bet it has has room to run into the $30s next year. My sell target is $35 ATM, but could change as their earning become more visible over time after they bought Elpida and the pricing settles out.
I am still mostly invested in solar as i see it as the highest reward possibility. Being young i can take that risk.
I also hold CREE and will for a very long time. Cree is a leader in the LED space, and just like solar its time to shine is on the horizon. Cree has alot priced in as people know and expect its 20% growth to continue, and so do i. I see Cree being a $100 stock some day, within the next 5 years, easily. They just have to remain dominate in the space and keep ahead of the big guns, GE, Phillips, Ect.

Thanks for the link.

"We are pleased to partner with SunPower Corporation to install its high efficiency E20/327 solar panels, the most reliable on the market today," said Tadanaga Komori, President for Ecomax Japan Inc.

The company's solar panels are backed by the company's straightforward 25-year combined product and power warranty. It offers the industry's lowest power degradation with more warranted energy, resulting in an unprecedented 87 percent power level at the end of 25 years.

Wind Power Rivals Coal With $1 Billion Order From Buffett - Bloomberg

Turbine prices have fallen 26 percent worldwide since the first half of 2009, bringing wind power within 5.5 percent of the cost of electricity from coal, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. MidAmerican Energy Holdings Co., a unit of Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (BRK/A), yesterday announced an order for 1,050 megawatts of Siemens AG (SIE) wind turbines in the industry’s largest order to date for land-based gear.

Other wind-turbine companies are recovering from slumps. The market value of Vestas, Europe’s biggest turbine supplier, increased 86 percent in the second half through yesterday and it’s expected to report net income in the current quarter for the first time since since mid-2011.

Zack's (OK not a bigger) upgrades JKS: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/strength-seen-jinksolar-204505061.html

With these couple good pieces of news, knowing how solars have moved recently we will probably see 'red' tomorrow :wink:

Zack had upgraded JKS to #1 buy few weeks ago. This is a re-post. However I sense a strong return to positive and bullish sentiment in Solar with lots of good news this week. Tomorrow I'll be getting back all in again and ride it all of 2014, barring any fundamentally bad developments.

- - - Updated - - -

A name i have been in since $10.75 is MU. (could of been in at $8 but i held off) I still bet it has has room to run into the $30s next year. My sell target is $35 ATM, but could change as their earning become more visible over time after they bought Elpida and the pricing settles out.
I am still mostly invested in solar as i see it as the highest reward possibility. Being young i can take that risk.
I also hold CREE and will for a very long time. Cree is a leader in the LED space, and just like solar its time to shine is on the horizon. Cree has alot priced in as people know and expect its 20% growth to continue, and so do i. I see Cree being a $100 stock some day, within the next 5 years, easily. They just have to remain dominate in the space and keep ahead of the big guns, GE, Phillips, Ect.

Thanks for sharing. You are a smart guy being a young dude. I am sure you will succeed and be ahead of your peers/friends. Good luck to all of us in 2014 on Solar.
BTW I did some more research on Micron. Their earnings growth is tremendous and the stock is severely undervalued. Their 2013 stock performance has been steady and strong. It's a great sector. I will purchase some MU tomorrow. Earnings on Jan 7th. I like MU better than CREE.

Last edited:
BTW I did some more research on Micron. Their earnings growth is tremendous and the stock is severely undervalued. Their 2013 stock performance has been steady and strong. It's a great sector. I will purchase some MU tomorrow. Earnings on Jan 7th. I like MU better than CREE.

I know this is off thread topic but i wanted to respond to this. BUY TODAY!!! Hynix (#1 competitor to MU) is talking about building a new fab which is why the stock is down big today. This is a usual market overreaction and a great buying opportunity. It takes a VERY long time to build a fab (completion expect end of 2015). And even if they do, they will more then likely shut or transition an older fab to making something else. Just because a new fab goes in doesnt mean huge oversupply is going to happen instantly and prices are going to plummet. Why would Hynix drive market prices down to only hurt themselves? Its a known fact the Hynix fabs are old, hence why one burn to the ground, this new fab is just an upgrade to faze out an older facility and will have a very minor impact on Micron as Micron has the better tech anyway. Micron was also due for a bit of a pull back, and now is the chance to get in. I still see no reason why MU wont be in the $30s by years end next year.

I know this is off thread topic but i wanted to respond to this. BUY TODAY!!! Hynix (#1 competitor to MU) is talking about building a new fab which is why the stock is down big today. This is a usual market overreaction and a great buying opportunity. It takes a VERY long time to build a fab (completion expect end of 2015). And even if they do, they will more then likely shut or transition an older fab to making something else. Just because a new fab goes in doesnt mean huge oversupply is going to happen instantly and prices are going to plummet. Why would Hynix drive market prices down to only hurt themselves? Its a known fact the Hynix fabs are old, hence why one burn to the ground, this new fab is just an upgrade to faze out an older facility and will have a very minor impact on Micron as Micron has the better tech anyway. Micron was also due for a bit of a pull back, and now is the chance to get in. I still see no reason why MU wont be in the $30s by years end next year.

Yep, agreed. Trying to find fund to buy today. Thanks for bringing it up yesterday.