Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zero to Sixty in ‘Y Not?’ 2024 Mini Review + pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

easyev

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2023
Toronto
OK second time around in a model Y loaner, this time it’s the 2024 Performance in Ultra Red on white. See pictures below!

Just picked it up tonight. My wife tried to convince me to go another night for pick up as she thought I was going to drag her out for an extended test drive tonight. Uh no dear I think I can handle this myself! The last model Y performance I borrowed she was with me the whole time and I didn’t really realize it but I was super easy with the roll-on starts, no abrupt acceleration, very limited (if at all) full acceleration, and honestly, the car didn’t feel much faster than her MYLR.

FF to this red beauty!

• The acceleration is hard and it doesn’t let up. Definitely a noticeable improvement over the LR. In fact, it’s not much different than my 2015 P85DL+. Slightly softer right off the line, but pulls very hard after that

• the ride is firm and confidence inspiring and had me slicing and dicing traffic and moving more aggressively than I normally would. It put a smile on my face that’s for sure

• the white interior is very fresh and rattle free. Extremely quiet inside.

• the lowered (and I think slightly firmer) suspension felt great

• the ride with the 21s IMO isn’t quite as nice as with my wife’s 20s. Personally I wouldn’t mind this 2024 MYP with a set of 19 or even 18s for better range and curb rash protection

• Visual parking works nicely but I miss the per cm countdown display of my 22 MSP

• ultra red is my favourite colour, it just draws you in, quite beautiful really

• the red brakes look great !

• the underlined dual motor badge it’s nicely understated, but says it all :)

• Acceleration onto highway is great, really strong and pulls hard

Aside: a large Dodge pick up truck pulled up beside me and then stepped on it and flew in front of me. I was about to go after him when the light in front of us changed and he accelerated through the red light. I was so looking forward to showing him with his little beast would do at that stoplight - resistance is futile!

• I tried track mode for a bit it seemed to fire up more fans, the car made more noise. I’m not sure if it was more responsive but I went down quite a huge steep hill and to the end of the road, turned around, stopped at the foot of the hill and accelerated it as fast as I could. I glanced down and was already doing 140. This thing is a rocketship!

• I couldn’t find the setting to auto shut off the turn signals, it’s in one of those menus somewhere !

• the wipers turned on randomly a few times for some reason. What’s funny is the blue demo I had a couple of months back did exactly the same thing. I pressed the wash button, turned the wipers on, and it didn’t happen again

• is it just me or do the mirrors seem a little small and the side mirrors too dark?

• the car has FSD and no demo speed limiter I’m really liking my sales rep! Track mode isn’t disabled like on the other car I took out, and this one is squeaky clean. I didn’t check the mileage but it seems like it’s just been freshly prepped from factory.

My wife just left the room to catch up with her friend. I feel like hopping in and going for another spin, maybe a quick highway jaunt again!

Will add more when I experience more

Thanks for reading and your feedback and thoughts are appreciated.

IMG_2018.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2015.jpeg
    IMG_2015.jpeg
    337.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2027.jpeg
    IMG_2027.jpeg
    318.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2022.jpeg
    IMG_2022.jpeg
    514.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2023.jpeg
    IMG_2023.jpeg
    325.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2019.jpeg
    IMG_2019.jpeg
    666.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2020.jpeg
    IMG_2020.jpeg
    538.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2021.jpeg
    IMG_2021.jpeg
    642.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2017.jpeg
    IMG_2017.jpeg
    299.6 KB · Views: 58
Hahaha and this morning I just realized the demo was limited to 137 km/h. What a great all around machine the MYP is.

I was watching some videos with the Y on a Dyno, managing to pull 500hp. They didn’t mention at the wheels or as it used to be crankshaft… what is it now at the rotor?!

What is the driveline loss? It can’t be much with no transmission. Do we even factor in such a loss?

Ensure the car is in sport mode and not chill mode. Wouldn’t want you to miss all the available power by mistake.
Yes, thanks it was one of the first things I checked and I also wondered where the third button was. I’m sure anyone that’s had a model S is also wishing for a third button in the model Y

Chill | Sport | Insane | Ludicrous, etc

If Saul could figure out how to uncork that initial snap, they could do pretty well. It pulls hard after the rollout…

I really wish I could edit my message. Siri typo above, no replies yet and it's been an hour and 3 mins and I can't correct my sentence.

If Saul someone could figure out how to uncork that initial snap, they could do pretty well. It pulls hard after the rollout…

I really wish I could edit my message. Siri typo above, no replies yet and it's been an hour and 3 mins and I can't correct my sentence.

If Saul someone could figure out how to uncork that initial snap, they could do pretty well. It pulls hard after the rollout…
What was the state of charge? Maybe you were below 80%, or 50% or something. I haven’t confirmed it myself, but in a thread about what motor is in the various MYs, someone mentioned that you only get peak performance is you’re close to 100% SoC.

Reactions: easyev
What was the state of charge? Maybe you were below 80%, or 50% or something. I haven’t confirmed it myself, but in a thread about what motor is in the various MYs, someone mentioned that you only get peak performance is you’re close to 100% SoC.
It was 91 when I picked it up in 65 when I returned it. 😃

It’s not that it’s slow. It just feels like it’s being delayed initially off the line then it ramps up to full power. Like the new MSLR. The older MS Performance hits really hard off the line, the 3 and y and new MS seem to roll in the power more gradually then GO!

It was 91 when I picked it up in 65 when I returned it. 😃

It’s not that it’s slow. It just feels like it’s being delayed initially off the line then it ramps up to full power. Like the new MSLR. The older MS Performance hits really hard off the line, the 3 and y and new MS seem to roll in the power more gradually then GO!
Not long after I got my MYP, I did a couple of 0-60 and even 0-100 mph runs. But it was at 50% SoC… faster than anything else I ever drove, including a Corvette my brother-in-law used to own. So no way I’d imply it being “slow” even with low SoC. It’s just that post implied something else, even I personally feel doubtful it’s that much different. Feeling doubtful isn’t proof of anything though.

OK second time around in a model Y loaner, this time it’s the 2024 Performance in Ultra Red on white. See pictures below!

Just picked it up tonight. My wife tried to convince me to go another night for pick up as she thought I was going to drag her out for an extended test drive tonight. Uh no dear I think I can handle this myself! The last model Y performance I borrowed she was with me the whole time and I didn’t really realize it but I was super easy with the roll-on starts, no abrupt acceleration, very limited (if at all) full acceleration, and honestly, the car didn’t feel much faster than her MYLR.

FF to this red beauty!

• The acceleration is hard and it doesn’t let up. Definitely a noticeable improvement over the LR. In fact, it’s not much different than my 2015 P85DL+. Slightly softer right off the line, but pulls very hard after that

• the ride is firm and confidence inspiring and had me slicing and dicing traffic and moving more aggressively than I normally would. It put a smile on my face that’s for sure

• the white interior is very fresh and rattle free. Extremely quiet inside.

• the lowered (and I think slightly firmer) suspension felt great

• the ride with the 21s IMO isn’t quite as nice as with my wife’s 20s. Personally I wouldn’t mind this 2024 MYP with a set of 19 or even 18s for better range and curb rash protection

• Visual parking works nicely but I miss the per cm countdown display of my 22 MSP

• ultra red is my favourite colour, it just draws you in, quite beautiful really

• the red brakes look great !

• the underlined dual motor badge it’s nicely understated, but says it all :)

• Acceleration onto highway is great, really strong and pulls hard

Aside: a large Dodge pick up truck pulled up beside me and then stepped on it and flew in front of me. I was about to go after him when the light in front of us changed and he accelerated through the red light. I was so looking forward to showing him with his little beast would do at that stoplight - resistance is futile!

• I tried track mode for a bit it seemed to fire up more fans, the car made more noise. I’m not sure if it was more responsive but I went down quite a huge steep hill and to the end of the road, turned around, stopped at the foot of the hill and accelerated it as fast as I could. I glanced down and was already doing 140. This thing is a rocketship!

• I couldn’t find the setting to auto shut off the turn signals, it’s in one of those menus somewhere !

• the wipers turned on randomly a few times for some reason. What’s funny is the blue demo I had a couple of months back did exactly the same thing. I pressed the wash button, turned the wipers on, and it didn’t happen again

• is it just me or do the mirrors seem a little small and the side mirrors too dark?

• the car has FSD and no demo speed limiter I’m really liking my sales rep! Track mode isn’t disabled like on the other car I took out, and this one is squeaky clean. I didn’t check the mileage but it seems like it’s just been freshly prepped from factory.

My wife just left the room to catch up with her friend. I feel like hopping in and going for another spin, maybe a quick highway jaunt again!

Will add more when I experience more

Thanks for reading and your feedback and thoughts are appreciated.

View attachment 1017813

Hmmm … I wonder if that’s my MYP put out there as a demo before delivery to break it in? (Tow package installed?) Lol … looks awesome. That is same spec I expect to receive by March 7.

• Funny
Hmmm … I wonder if that’s my MYP put out there as a demo before delivery to break it in? (Tow package installed?) Lol … looks awesome. That is same spec I expect to receive by March 7.
Nice spec! Rest assured, no tow package on this one! The ultra red turns a lot of heads. I’m pretty sure people were pulling up in my blind spot and just following along admiring the car. 😍

My guess is Tesla programmed that delay in to be easier on the tires, and motor to some extent.

So took my wife's YLR for a spin to car wash. Wow, it's MUCH SLOWER than the Performance, there's really no comparison.

What's the best way to get into one of those Ultra Red bad boys?

Her car is a 23 LR w/20" and white interior 1900KM. I think we paid C$73k + tax a couple months ago, or thereabouts? Probably will lose 10+the tax? :(

But now the 5K rebate is on for the P model, hello!

So *maybe* get C$62k for hers? Tesla is offering C$4X on trade? That's crazy low. They'll wholesale for $55 and retail will be back up to $6x.

Lastly, I don't like her 20's and dislike the 21's even more. I want 19 or 18's for P. Range/comfort/speed/curb protection! Another hassle to deal with but first world problems are tough!

Reactions: NCRiderSW
When the battery isn't warm it gives you a soft launch, but if you do a couple hard pulls and get the battery warm it will spin all 4 tires from a dig.
Really? That’s interesting and makes sense considering the Model S has preheating modes. So does 0-60 times that magazine post, would that be after warming up the batteries? Is it worth a tenth or two?

Hahaha and this morning I just realized the demo was limited to 137 km/h. What a great all around machine the MYP is.

I was watching some videos with the Y on a Dyno, managing to pull 500hp. They didn’t mention at the wheels or as it used to be crankshaft… what is it now at the rotor?!

What is the driveline loss? It can’t be much with no transmission. Do we even factor in such a loss?
should be able to tell the motor power because the voltage and current are all measured and reportable.

i test drove a YLR vs my 3P and the biggest difference is the immediacy of accelerator response. it *feels* as if they smoothened out the torque vs pedal mapping curve. the 3P is ready to pounce/jump anytime you breathe on the pedal, as if it was a naturally-aspirated motor sitting near the redline. the YLR feels like a forced induced motor with a slight turbo lag, then the strong pull comes in as if it was on-boost.

you can purchase the acceleration boost for the YLR if you want more go?

Reactions: VipinLJ and easyev