Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Fuel Vehicle Tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a new Tesla owner since May 2021. I got surprised by an alternative fuel vehicle tax of $234. I am wondering why bcoz as far as I know the govt promotes alternative fuel vehicles. Is it bcoz I have a AFV license plate? Can I return the AFV license plate to avoid this tax? Any benefits of keeping that license plate?

Georgia passed a law a few years ago to recoup the missed taxes from gas. It is yearly if you have a Alt fuel tag or not. Dumb as it is. License plate lets you drive in the Peach Pass lanes without two or more people in the car. Still need the Peach Pass sticker and set it to Alt Fuel I think.

In Georgia, all pure electric vehicles pay a mandatory Alternate Fuel Vehicle (AFV) fee. As of July 1, 2021 it is $213.70 and changes a bit each year. The AFV fee is meant to collect from EVs the equivalent of the average Gasoline Road Tax paid by ICE cars, but there is much debate as to its fairness. The AFV fee does not grant you any privileges.

If you pay the AFV fee you can request an AFV license plate - this is optional. You will pay a one time plate manufacturing fee of $25 plus you will pay an annual Special Tag Fee of $35 (in addition to the normal car registration fee of $20). The AFV plate allows you to drive in HOV lanes as a sole occupant.

If you have an AFV plate AND you have a PeachPass, then you can drive in the I-85 northeast HOT lanes for free. You still pay to use all of the other HOT lanes.

In Georgia, all pure electric vehicles pay a mandatory Alternate Fuel Vehicle (AFV) fee. As of July 1, 2021 it is $213.70 and changes a bit each year. The AFV fee is meant to collect from EVs the equivalent of the average Gasoline Road Tax paid by ICE cars, but there is much debate as to its fairness. The AFV fee does not grant you any privileges.

If you pay the AFV fee you can request an AFV license plate - this is optional. You will pay a one time plate manufacturing fee of $25 plus you will pay an annual Special Tag Fee of $35 (in addition to the normal car registration fee of $20). The AFV plate allows you to drive in HOV lanes as a sole occupant.

If you have an AFV plate AND you have a PeachPass, then you can drive in the I-85 northeast HOT lanes for free. You still pay to use all of the other HOT lanes.
Thanks for the correction. Don't live in the ATL, but ride the I-85 area some.

This was a big source of confusion when I bought my Tesla.

All EV owners pay the tax regardless of which tag you have.

If you pay for the AFV tag, you get some benefits:
- You can drive on the I-85 peach pass lanes (mostly in Gwinnett) for free if you have a transponder set to Free mode
- You can drive in the HOV lanes inside I-285 as a solo driver

It hasn't been announced if the upcoming express lanes on I-285 and GA 400 are going to be free for EV owners.

All I know is that Alabama really hits you hard with EV registration fees. Renewing my MYP reg was literally 10 times more than I thought it would be. I supposed I shouldn't be surprised since neither Tesla showrooms or repair centers are allowed anywhere in the state.