Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

And again Tesla bashing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

OrthoSurg

Jun 2, 2017
Montreal
Another TV show with 1M viewers on the 7M population with the invited humorist co-host going with an anti-Tesla owner diatribe when the economist talking about O&G inflation impact that could be limited by purchasing EVs.

Then the humorist goes into a generalization saying Tesla owners have to sign a contract on purchase to speak about their car to 10 others, that Tesla is a religious sect, they are insupportable, etc… It would have been funny is he didn’t say it with a straight face being totally serious.

I guess people satisfied with their Apple product or Teslas can’t talk about it because they are insupportable cultist.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: ATPMSD and glide
I respect and sympathize with your situation but I'd like to interject some information from the other side of the aisle that may be helpful.

Please take this in the context of a person who views EV's in general and Tesla in particular very differently than you.

I am a recovering Hater.

I am someone who hated Tesla so much I successfully shorted the stock when it was profitable. I would burn with anger whenever seeing Teslas, to the point where it affected my quality of life significantly.

About a year ago I made a strong and ongoing effort to get this under control, as it obviously did not match my Christian faith. I have been successful for the most part, but I am still sensitive to the issues involved.

With that said IF a Tesla owner wanted to take the (recommended) high ground here this would be a good time to hold one's tongue about gas prices when speaking with the 97% of the population that does not own or favor EV's.

We/they know an EV is often less expensive to operate, although it may or may not ameliorate the higher purchase price for many people. It benefits no one to further aggravate a person who has to pay for gas about the price of gas.

There are still a large number of people, and likely always will be, who hate EV's and especially Teslas. Automotive enthusiasts and conservatives in particular.

If a Tesla owner's goal is to attract more people to their way of thinking (is this a marker for a cult?) not aggravating people who struggle to afford gas is an important thing to do now that prices are so artificially inflated.

With that said thanks for your patience and enjoy your day :)

I do want us to all get along.

Bill

I respect and sympathize with your situation but I'd like to interject some information from the other side of the aisle that may be helpful.

Please take this in the context of a person who views EV's in general and Tesla in particular very differently than you.

I am a recovering Hater.

I am someone who hated Tesla so much I successfully shorted the stock when it was profitable. I would burn with anger whenever seeing Teslas, to the point where it affected my quality of life significantly.

About a year ago I made a strong and ongoing effort to get this under control, as it obviously did not match my Christian faith. I have been successful for the most part, but I am still sensitive to the issues involved.

With that said IF a Tesla owner wanted to take the (recommended) high ground here this would be a good time to hold one's tongue about gas prices when speaking with the 97% of the population that does not own or favor EV's.

We/they know an EV is often less expensive to operate, although it may or may not ameliorate the higher purchase price for many people. It benefits no one to further aggravate a person who has to pay for gas about the price of gas.

There are still a large number of people, and likely always will be, who hate EV's and especially Teslas. Automotive enthusiasts and conservatives in particular.

If a Tesla owner's goal is to attract more people to their way of thinking (is this a marker for a cult?) not aggravating people who struggle to afford gas is an important thing to do now that prices are so artificially inflated.

With that said thanks for your patience and enjoy your day :)

I do want us to all get along.

Bill
IMO, ignorance is one of biggest reasons for EV hate in general. I was a skeptic myself and a temporary medical issue popped up that made Autopilot seem very attractive. After some research and a test drive, I decided to give up my Camaro for a Model 3. It turned out I really didn't have to, but the decision was already made. I have no regrets. It's the best car I've ever owned.

Had I not given an EV a try, I'd probably still have the Camaro and the same mindset as many enthusiasts and EV haters.

I think Tesla attracts enough people already, so much so that they can afford to raise their prices by thousands. It's the other guys that need to attract more people. And from I've seen, they seem to be doing just that little by little.

With better battery life, rising gas prices and manufacturers heavily pushing EVs, adoption will be inevitable.
The only ones waiting in lines for refueling are at Tesla superchargers....
This past weekend I did a six hundred mile roundtrip and didn't have to wait once at a supercharger. Not saying it never happens, but where I live it really isn't a problem.

It is possible that ignorance factors in with some people’s decision to be anti-EV, but that does not apply to me.

I am a very knowledgeable, well read, lifelong motoring enthusiast, and I understand the automotive industry very well. I would actually say that in all likelihood I know more about Teslas than many Tesla enthusiasts.

Unfortunate as it may be, it would be helpful for Tesla and EV enthusiasts to realize that much of the reason why their choice a vehicle is despised by many people in the population is not related to the vehicle itself.

Even the most anti-EV types, have to recognize that there are certain advantages to electric vehicles. The problem is not necessarily the vehicle, but much of the hate is generated by what surrounds it.

Specifically the culture, the government, politics, and frankly the perceived attitude of the EV advocates in general.

I realize that in the future, electric vehicles will dominate, and there is nothing that any of us could do to stop it at this point. This is a powerful political and government initiative, and as we Star Trek fans would say, resistance is indeed futile.

I expect to get another 10 years out of my 2012 Mercedes-Benz S class with a TwinTurbo V8. I hope to enjoy each and everyone of those years with it.

When it is time to replace it, I suspect that it will be with a Mercedes-Benz EQE or EQS. By that timeframe, they will have the design perfected, and there will be used models that will be in my price range.

Until then, I will continue to enjoy my internal combustion car, truck, Airplane, and motorcycles.

Just as it is good that you enjoy your electric vehicle as well. For the time being at least, to each his own, and let us continue to respect one another.

IMO, ignorance is one of biggest reasons for EV hate in general. I was a skeptic myself and a temporary medical issue popped up that made Autopilot seem very attractive. After some research and a test drive, I decided to give up my Camaro for a Model 3. It turned out I really didn't have to, but the decision was already made. I have no regrets. It's the best car I've ever owned.
Well, I agree that ignorance could be one reasons for EV hate. We have been to many events and car shows sharing with the community our love for Tesla. There are those few that just won't budge or care to learn about an EV. For the few non interested that peak inside, my wife Karen invites them in and answers any and all of their questions. They usually walk away very interested on what they seen or heard. Karen knows as much if not more than what I know and really enjoys sharing her Model X. She does great and has won approx. 18 different trophies or plaques. That's difficult to do among all the classics and between the rest of the engine vehicles.

Attachments

• messages_0 (30).jpeg
    messages_0 (30).jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 76
  • messages_0 (29).jpeg
    messages_0 (29).jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 48
  • messages_0 (28).jpeg
    messages_0 (28).jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 47
  • messages_0 (27).jpeg
    messages_0 (27).jpeg