Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android Auto Option or at least Texts Read?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been a devotee of Android Auto (AA) for over a decade, and have become very dependent on its features, especially the verbal inputs and reading of texts. I'm getting a 3 next week, and my wife has had one for a year, but it drives us crazy that we can't have texts read, and the Tesla voice commands aren't as useful as AA. Has anyone had a "hack" or workaround to implement AA features in a Tesla?

Since the car is so computer/software dependent, I wouldn't want to mess with anything substantive, but the lack of features (in this area only) seems uniquely un-Tesla-like. . .

use "hey google" voice commands to have your texts read to you over the cars speakers. Other than that (or any other voice command assistant), there is no "hack" to get either android auto or carplay running on the screen that I have seen, anyway.

My wife has Android Auto in her car (I must say that now that I've seen it, and having had experience with the Tesla UI, I'm not really a fan). Anyway, when she gets into my Model 3 (as a passenger), and the phone detects it is in a car, it goes into some kind of mode where it asks her if she wants her texts read, etc. We have the same exact phones, but mine doesn't do this. I suspect it's because she has Android Auto installed, and even though it is not interfacing directly with the car (obviously), it is detecting that she is IN a car and does offer some AA functionality. In my car it's just through her phone speaker, but I suspect if her phone connected to the car's Bluetooth it would at least go through the car's speaker (if audio source was BT anyway).

Thanks guys, I have AA on my phone, but wife and I both have the Tesla App, and my AA does not launch when I get in her car. I may try activating the "launch on Bt connection" and see if that works, but would be great to have AA on the big screen, though apparently that is unlikely. . .